OB-X8

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Moderator: Moderators

OB-X8

Post by Zukan »

Thorough review by Gordon baby this month in Sos.

However, I want to blag it further. I got to spend a little time with the OB at Gearfest and it's been a very long time since a polysynth gave me sonic wood.

Sublime!

Now, remember: to alleviate the guilt you have felt this entire year and to do something 'giving' I highly recommend you all pool your pensions together and buy me this damn synth. Otherwise, I'll subscribe you to Russ Andrews' site for hot tips and winning product updates
Zukan
'Shaka. When the walls fell. Zukan...with his arms wide.'

Samplecraze
1-2-1 Tuition

Re: OB-X8

Post by Hugh Robjohns »

My cheque is in the post, Eddie! :bouncy: Please don't sign me up... :shocked:
Hugh Robjohns
Posts: 38831 Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2003 12:00 am Location: Worcestershire, UK
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound...
(But generally posting my own personal views and not necessarily those of SOS, the company or the magazine!)
In my world, things get less strange when I read the manual... 

Post by Zukan »

lol
Zukan
'Shaka. When the walls fell. Zukan...with his arms wide.'

Samplecraze
1-2-1 Tuition

Post by Forum Admin »

Zukan wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 1:59 pm Thorough review by Gordon baby this month in Sos.

For convenience, here's the link to the in-depth review:

https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/oberheim-ob-x8

Zukan wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 1:59 pmI got to spend a little time with the OB at Gearfest and it's been a very long time since a polysynth gave me sonic wood.

:):):)
Forum Admin
Posts: 4233 Joined: Mon Jul 21, 2003 11:00 pm Location: A studio deep in the fenlands of Cambridgeshire, UK
Search 16,966 SOS Reviews+Techniques articles: www.soundonsound.com/search
SOS Podcasts

Post by Arpangel »

These are strange, I get the feeling that I wouldn’t move further than beyond that lovely thick brass, and a Lyle Mays style atmos pad, is it worth it for that?
As an experimental abstract machine, it won’t let me in, it’s not a Pro 5.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Post by Martin Walker »

I spent a couple of hours this afternoon with a sound designer friend who's bought one, and very nice it sounded too. I was also REALLY impressed by its build quality - gorgeous! 8-)
Martin Walker
Posts: 20599 Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:44 am Location: Cornwall, UK

Post by Arpangel »

Martin Walker wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 6:48 pm I spent a couple of hours this afternoon with a sound designer friend who's bought one, and very nice it sounded too. I was also REALLY impressed by its build quality - gorgeous! 8-)

I’d really like to spend some serious time with one, before I even thought about opening my wallet, it’s not one of those synths that I really understand, or have the type of money to drop nonchalantly at, it’s got some strange quirks, that I find a bit annoying, not that I’ve ever played a "real one" I understand it’s strengths, but I’m not sure how much it would get used here, I got my Behringer 2600 down from the loft today, that cost me around five hundred quid, and I was already in Morton Subotnik's neighbourhood within about ten minuets, heavenly, apples and oranges, but it’s all about priorities.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Post by Martin Walker »

Arpangel wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 6:56 pm
Martin Walker wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 6:48 pm I spent a couple of hours this afternoon with a sound designer friend who's bought one, and very nice it sounded too. I was also REALLY impressed by its build quality - gorgeous! 8-)

...I got my Behringer 2600 down from the loft today, that cost me around five hundred quid, and I was already in Morton Subotnik's neighbourhood within about ten minuets, heavenly, apples and oranges, but it’s all about priorities.

He's got one of those too :tongue:
Martin Walker
Posts: 20599 Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:44 am Location: Cornwall, UK

Post by Arpangel »

Martin Walker wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 12:21 am
Arpangel wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 6:56 pm

...I got my Behringer 2600 down from the loft today, that cost me around five hundred quid, and I was already in Morton Subotnik's neighbourhood within about ten minuets, heavenly, apples and oranges, but it’s all about priorities.

He's got one of those too :tongue:

Well, we’ve got to replace a whole section of fencing around our house, before the winter weather sets in, it’s not an insignificant amount of money, so, it’s a case of new synth, or new fence? er?
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Post by Arpangel »

Ooo-er, damn, just forgot how Richard Barbieri used OB's in Japan, and all of those lovely tuned percussion sounds, still can’t go there.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster