Looking for lightweight active 10" speakers

For performing musicians and engineers: stagecraft, engineering and gear.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Looking for lightweight active 10" speakers

Post by Mike Monte »

I use K10's / K8's (original series) for some of my applications. Of the two I really like the K8's; clear/punchy and a surprising amount of low end for their size/weight.
IMO the K8's are way-easier to handle compared to the K10's.

As far as the K series go: I have had mine for several years and they have been bullet-proof. If I were to purchase more K's I'd look for the original series as there seems to be quite a bit of issues with the .2 series.....just my opinion.
Mike Monte
Regular

Post by resistorman »

Mike Monte wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 11:37 am
As far as the K series go: I have had mine for several years and they have been bullet-proof. If I were to purchase more K's I'd look for the original series as there seems to be quite a bit of issues with the .2 series.....just my opinion.

I loved my K1's too, but I've been using two K2.10's for a year now under often adverse conditions (a lot of rain this season) and only one 18" QSC sub. The bands have ranged from acoustic duos to a 10 piece ska band with 4 piece horn section, and they have sounded tremendous... I get complements on the sound every show. The only problem I've had is when I push them over the limit and they shut down until I scroll through the diagnostic page. This has happened a very few times, mostly when the back of the cover wasn't open enough on a very hot day, and I will take the blame for it, I'd rather have protection clamp down than blown speakers. I would definitely choose them over the K10's, much as I liked them. If you can buy them, that is, stock is thin on all DSP speakers here in the US.
resistorman
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Posts: 2679 Joined: Sun Nov 22, 2015 12:00 am Location: Asheville NC
"The Best" piece of gear is subjective.

Post by dickiefunk »

What firmware version are your QSC K10.2’s running?there has been a couple of revisions of this and the latest is 1.3.3.
dickiefunk
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Posts: 2021 Joined: Fri Jun 17, 2005 12:00 am Location: Cornwall, UK

Post by resistorman »

dickiefunk wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 7:08 pm What firmware version are your QSC K10.2’s running?there has been a couple of revisions of this and the latest is 1.3.3.

You know, I never thought to upgrade the firmware! Unusual for me, but they are the club's so I guess it is one degree of separation.

Damn, just read the firmware log, gonna go in early and update. Thanks for the heads up.
resistorman
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Post by dickiefunk »

resistorman wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 8:42 pm
dickiefunk wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 7:08 pm What firmware version are your QSC K10.2’s running?there has been a couple of revisions of this and the latest is 1.3.3.

You know, I never thought to upgrade the firmware! Unusual for me, but they are the club's so I guess it is one degree of separation.

Damn, just read the firmware log, gonna go in early and update. Thanks for the heads up.

I would be very interested to hear how you get on with the K10.2’s after the firmware update :thumbup:
dickiefunk
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Post by resistorman »

Well, you'll have to wait until the end of April, it's the last show here in NC for the season as it's an outdoor venue :bouncy:

Actually, I'll probably wait until spring to update them, probably be new versions by then. I haven't had any shutdowns for months now since I figured out the actual limits I can run them, not that it was a common occurrence anyhow, only happened 3 times in 6 months. I _really_ like their sound, we have one more back-ordered since June to widen the spread stage right. Sweetwater says they're hundreds in the hole at this point, but it should ease up in October.
resistorman
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Post by dickiefunk »

At the moment I’m leaning towards -

RCF HD10a mkV
FBT Promaxx 110a

I may also try the QSC K10.2 but not sure about this one. I’ve read quite a few people having reliability issues with the amp module though I don’t know which firmware they were all using. Also I’m not sure it would offer me a noticeable step up in audio performance that would justify the much higher price over both the RCF and FBT models. Both the HD10a mkV and Promaxx 110a are very lightweight speakers that tick all the boxes.
dickiefunk
Frequent Poster (Level2)