Yamaha 02R digital mixing console.

Post your own hardware/software reviews.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Yamaha 02R digital mixing console.

Post by Bme »

Try eBay.
But I think it is too expensive to replace all the A-D and D-A convertors.
Maybe aliExpress is cheaper.
Bme
New here

Post by VTypeV4 »

Image02R in bits by VTypeV4, on Flickr

A bit of a minor hiccup this week with a rogue 'dimmer' button - frustratingly mid live album mix. :o Oddly, it'd been previously modded so the actual dimmer switch was removed from the PCB so I have no idea how it was activated..!? Anyways, shorting the location of where the switch should have been seems to have resolved the issue..

Image02R in bits by VTypeV4, on Flickr
VTypeV4
Regular
Posts: 170 Joined: Mon Nov 21, 2016 1:34 am Location: Stoke on Trent
Synkronize Music Group, part of the Sun Street Studios building in Hanley: Studio and Live Multi-Track Recording, Mastering House and bespoke Tuition Services.

www.synkronize.co.uk & www.facebook.com/synkronizemusicgroup

Post by pstoddart »

Hi BME, have you found a way to generate the licence codes?
pstoddart

Post by VTypeV4 »

Image02R23StingrayMix by VTypeV4, on Flickr

Mid 2023 and the home 02R (pictured above) is still going well and is currently in use mixing a live recording session. The live one (pictured below) based at the Rigger is still alive and kicking too - it happily did over 12 hours continuous work yesterday without the slightest glitch as part of an all day festival. :thumbup:

ImageXD DM 02R by VTypeV4, on Flickr

The third one hasn't seen much action in the last 12 months as I purchased a DM1000 for live / recording duties. It remains on standby although, ultimately, I'll take it to the studio.

Image02R23StingrayMixB by VTypeV4, on Flickr
VTypeV4
Regular
Synkronize Music Group, part of the Sun Street Studios building in Hanley: Studio and Live Multi-Track Recording, Mastering House and bespoke Tuition Services.

Post by forumuser805990 »

Hello!
Newbie here joined a while ago but lurked until now.
I think have to post a couple of times before I’m allowed free reign as I think this is my first post.
Firstly can I say thanks for this magnificent thread on the 02R, it’s really an eye opener for sure. So much great help and advise leaves me felling safe in the knowledge that at least some kind of help is available for these things which leads me on to the reason for my post.
I’ve been offered one of these for cheap, it has the TC card and a CD8- AE card, a cascade card CD8-CS? and the ADAT optical in/out card.
Not sure which version of the machine it is or the operating system?
It has some damage to the pots a couple missing above the faders but nothing bad I think one pot has snapped off so needs a screwdriver to turn it.
Apart from that I’ve also been offered a Motu 2408 mkII with the PCI 324 card as well.
So, my question is probably going to open up a Pandora’s box of logistics but I currently run Logic 8 on a power Mac tower (intel) pc from around 2008/9 which I’ve been using without issues since I had it back in around 2010.
When I started i didn’t have much hardware but over the years I’ve accumulated an Akai S5000 fully maxed, a Roland VP9000 maxed out with memory and outputs, an EMU 5000, Akai SX3000L about 5 old synths (Roland, Korg, Yamaha etc) a couple of drum machines, Joe meek brick pre amp (one of 50 apparently) a Joe meek SC2 one of the early V1.07 jobs, a couple of sound modules (JV2080 expanded with a couple of cards) and a few bits of outboard FX mainly Lexicon, and use all of these plus live instrumentation from time to time. Phew…
I’m currently using my old Apogee duet as my audio interface recording into Logic.
As you can imagine printing takes into logic can be a bit slow and even though I’m using Midi to control a lot of the hardware it’s a really cumbersome way of making music, so my question is really as I make mostly electronic based music - drum and bass, house, ambient etc etc, would the Yamaha and the interfaces work with my set up, do I need drivers for the Motu of would the PCI card work with my Mac running digital from the yamaha via ADAT outs into the Motu and then into the Mac via the PCI card so I can stay directly in the digital domain?
And as most of my music is sampler driven, would this set up be ideal for that?
I also have an old 2009 MacBook with 17 inch screen that runs Logic 8 so I can do all the midi stuff with the sampler/s synths etc on that and send those through into the Yamaha then into the Mac tower and use that just as a digital recorder while staying in the digital domain?
How would that work? Would I have to record just the main output of the Motu (being fed by the 02R) into Logic via digital outs to the PCI card or does the PCI card take multiple inputs into tracks into Logic? Do I also need drivers for the Motu and are they all still available?
Also I noticed that there are software upgrade chips for the Yamaha 02R, I’m assuming it would be a good idea to look at those as well?
I don’t have anyone near me to check this thing over for me professionally so it’s all a bit confusing!! 😩
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
I saw in some YouTube documentaries that people like LTJ Bukem and Blame used these desks almost exclusively and made many of their records on them so they can’t be that bad.
I currently have a soundcraft spirit folio sixteen track analogue desk with a humming power supply that’s unusable.
Would this solution be a good way of working for me and my type of music?
Sorry for the mega long post and multiple questions guys/gals.
Many thanks 🙏🏾
Gareth

Edit: I forgot to add the Mac power pc tower is OSX 9. something. So I’m not sure to pull the trigger until. I know it should all work together….
Also, not expecting a fast reply but if anyone can answer a yes/no so I can arrange pick up etc would be sooooo cool!
:) Cheers 🥂:thumbup:
forumuser805990
Poster

Another thought is the possibility that this will be a effective and cheap way to mix and record to Logic and end up solving all my recording/mixing issues (without having to rely on an analogue mixer and much more expensive multi analogue input digital audio interface) when I can stay in the digital domain and record as well for peanuts?
forumuser805990
Poster

Post by VTypeV4 »

Hi Gareth, sorry for the slow reply..

Sounds like you've got some pretty cool stuff there, especially the Joe Meek gear - I'd love some of that at my studio. :thumbup:

I couldn't comment on the compatibility of your Mac with the MOTU 2408 / PCI card, that's something you may have to check with MOTU themselves or there may well be a thread on this forum somewhere? Assuming the Mac / MOTU will work together, you will alomst certainly need the drivers - my 828 Hybrid units needed the appropriate O/S specific drivers to work with my i7 based El Capitain / Logic Pro X iMac.

On the MOTU / Yamaha side of things, I can see no reason why you couldn't happily stay almost exclusively ADAT with both recording in, mixing and printing out of the desk. With my home setup, I use a single 02R, a single MOTU 828 Mk3 run from a Win 7 PC. I only use 8 inputs at home but often use the console for mixes recorded elsewhere for up to 26 channels OTB. Up until recently, I used an 02R for live recording duties, too - up to 24 channels although it's since been superceded by a more compact Yamaha DM1000.

As you've done some research already, you already know these mixers are hardly in their first flourishes of youth plus some of their limitations in terms of routing and physical analogue outputs can also be mildly frustrating. That said, they're still very capable and (IMO at least) sound great too - there's a few live albums I mixed on the 02R that are out there.

The added bonus of a TC Unity card expands their usefulness hugely offering far more than the standard built in Yamaha FX processors. The desk you're proposing to purchase probably has the most up to date version of the O/S - the final version is 2.16 designed to work with the TC card. I've literally never had an 02R crash although I've had a TC card failure a few years back.

Integrating existing hardware such as your Lexicon FX units would probably be a good idea with the 02R becoming the centre of your I/O - you might even be able to leave it all plugged in and just tweak the card patching as required.

As a final note, I love these old things as they've probably done more to sustain and further my career than any other individual bit of kit so it's easy for me wax lyrical about them. Just remember how old they are and that they come with compromises before you commit but as long as you're aware of that, the 02R is still a fantastic tool.

ImagePeak signal 02R 23 by VTypeV4, on Flickr

Hope that helps, Matt
VTypeV4
Regular

Post by VTypeV4 »

ImageJazz Plates O2R by VTypeV4, on Flickr

My original 02R that was purchased around ten years ago still in service at the studio. Whilst the DM2000 (just out of shot on the right) does most of the heavy lifting these days along with the two A&H analogue consoles, the 02R is incorporated into the setup as part of the 'old studio' setup predating the iMac, DM2000 and before our move to Sun Street.
VTypeV4
Regular

Hi Matt
Thanks for that brilliant advice, I did start another thread over here -
https://www.soundonsound.com/forum/view ... R&start=24
and I’ve just put an update in there today which I think I’ve got the solution for my home set up which is very similar to your recommendations! 👍🏼
If you could have a quick look to make sure I’m not missing anything that would be perfect thank you :)
I apologise for setting up a separate thread as I needed to get a scoot on as the owner of the 02R wanted a quick decision to me taking it so needed answers quickly.
I’d have preferred to keep it all here. Sorry!
Anyway, if my solution works I’ll keep coming back with updates as to how it’s working and any further tips and advice. It’s really been a revelation to me how I can now re energise my whole music making process and make it easier and more fun, quicker and more intuitive by using an old vintage digital mixing desk!!

I’d have never considered it a few years back and these desks are so ridiculously cheap at the moment and with the multiple kinds of output cards it opens up so many options.
Wonderful stuff.
Now I have to get it all set up…
:crazy:
forumuser805990
Poster

Ok, so update time.
Now I’ve got this thing home I’ve managed to have a good look at it and clean it up a bit as it was pretty dirty cosmetically which I think is just down to the fact it’s been stored somewhere for years.
So after a good deep clean and open up so I could clean out the inside and outside it’s come up looking like new.
Physically the machine looks hardly used and there’s no damage visually. Nice.
The ADAT lightpipe card is installed and I got the TC unity card with it, but it’s not installed which I thought was odd.
Turns out there’s a reason for this and the console still has the old software EPROMs installed (first version) looks like the owner swapped the old eproms back and took out the TC Unity card! Weird.
The battery was almost dead so they be replaced that and all is good.
So it looks like I need the v 2.16 EPROMs to work with the TC Unity card and this will only effectively work with the two updated EPROMs.
Secondly I’m going to do a factory reset to wipe all the user scenes and start fresh.
Next I was looking at the RAM memory which can be expanded from 512mb with two memory chips.
I had a look online to see what chips are needed for this but it was a bit confusing as I’m not really sure if I have the correct chip number (BS62LV4006 in DIP32) if anyone knows any help would be great thank you!
So my shopping list is 2x EPROMs and 2x memory chips so far…
Other than that this thing looks really good, haven’t tried to run any gear through it yet just haven’t had the time.
I’ll do that this next week hopefully.
Another point is that this thing isn’t light, I’m tall and reasonably fit but it had me huffing and puffing! The thing is built like a bloody tank.
Which I like because the build quality of the unit is incredible.
I think this things going to last me years.
Expansion card wise I might go for the analogue 8in/8out card as a spare set of inputs if I need to hook up a drum machine and run the individual hit outs rather than the main outs to give more control for example.
I can’t see myself using more than 8 digital outs from the 02R ADAT lightpipe for home recording (unless I fancy buying another coupe of cheap Motu 828 mk2’s to give me full 24 track digital into the computer.
I was told that the FireWire connection from the 828 would give me all the channels I need into Logic (not sure if that’s correct or not as I haven’t tried that yet) without the need for a PCIe digital input card (I was initially looking at the RME raydat card)
So that’s the update, I’ll keep posting and get some pics up of progress as well.
One thing I would like is a meter bridge. Seems like the things are like gold dust!! If anyone hears of one for sale in the U.K. pleas shout.
I’ve tried all the usual outlets with little or no joy or they’re way too expensive.
I’m trying to do this all on a budget as I ain’t made of cash just a poor hobbling musician!
forumuser805990
Poster

Post by VTypeV4 »

Excellent, you got it home and fired up! We love pictures. :thumbup:

Looks like you've learned that these things are a little larger and significantly heavier than they ever seem in pictures too - mine never seem either until I have to move them which is why I went to the DM1000 for location work. :bouncy:

As for the EPROM chips for V2.16, they're still available on eBay for around £20. It's been a while since I bought any but they arrived quickly and worked without issue.

CD8 cards are much cheaper than they used to be so finding ADAT or analogue variants shouldn't be too tricky or expensive although you should be aware, the 8 in / 8 out are double height and take two slots. Personally, I'd plump for a MK3 version of the MOTU 828 so you can do 16 channels I/O via ADAT. Whilst we're on the subject of MOTU, connecting it via FW is a no brainer as I believe a single MK3 or two MK2 units will exceed your proposed requirements. Also, the direct outs on the Yamaha only work on channels 1-16, not the second 'tape' layer.

Keep looking for a meterbridge as they make the console so much better to use.

Lastly, I find using the 'stereo' channels as audio subgroups for an extra layer of EQ, level and compression very useful, especially if you're doing an OTB mixdown.
VTypeV4
Regular

Thanks for those tips Matt, really appreciated.
I imagine that I’m probably going to be asking you a few questions from now on, so apologies in advance!
I did see somewhere on EBay that had the EPROMs for another 20 quid plus postage.
Not sure about the memory chips though, looks like they’re not that expensive either but need to make sure to get the right ones.
Cheers for the tip with the Motu 828 mk3, I looked at them but they were a lot more expensive second hand than the mk2 which I paid 30 quid for mine a couple of weeks ago and it was almost new. If I can get a mk3 for 50 quid I’ll definitely go that route.
Also if I can get another ADAT card for the yamaha for cheap, again around 70 quid max I will do.
The tc unity card has the finaliser but it’s not ‘initiated’ as it doesn’t have the license number, the effects block is working fine.
Any ideas on how I could get the finaliser activated without any codes?
I definitely will keep an eye out for a meter bridge, they do turn up.
I’m looking forward to trying it out in the next couple of weeks, been so busy with the day job I’ve not had any time spare to sit down and go through it.
forumuser805990
Poster

VTypeV4 wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 10:35 am Excellent, you got it home and fired up! We love pictures. :thumbup:
Lastly, I find using the 'stereo' channels as audio subgroups for an extra layer of EQ, level and compression very useful, especially if you're doing an OTB mixdown.

Thats great advice Matt thank you!
I’ll be looking for any routing tips soon once I’ve start plugging things in and working out how best to plug stuff in whether to use my patchbay or go straight into the 02R with the machines.
forumuser805990
Poster

I’ve just been offered an alesis HD24 ADAT with two hard drives and caddies, flight case and remote for 45 quid :wtf:
I don’t need it!!
forumuser805990
Poster

Post by VTypeV4 »

See how you go with it but they're certainly worth getting to know - some functions and facilities aren't always obvious or in seemingly unrelated menus.

Good luck and hope you find a workable system with it. :thumbup:

Don't forget those pictures! :sos:
VTypeV4
Regular

I spoke too soon :(
Seems I can get a line level signal into it but no output of sound either through the various outputs into a pair of old Rokit KRK 5s or through the headphone output.
I just can’t get a signal out of it.
Looks like it’ll go back to the seller
forumuser805990
Poster

Post by Kwackman »

Apologies if this is a Granny/Eggs/Suck situation, but are you sure you've routed the signal correctly to an output? Can you see the output on the meters?
Kwackman
Frequent Poster
Posts: 3221 Joined: Thu Nov 07, 2002 12:00 am Location: Belfast
Cubase, guitars.

No apology necessary
Thanks for replying, any help is great thanks :)
I’m a total newbie with this mixer
Everything on the channel is set up right I think, running a drum machine through the mic/line input B into Ch1 which is set to Mic and sending to the stereo out
So I can see the signal of a drum machine in the main display meter showing a bouncing signal from the drum machine that’s plugged in
From there I get no sound on the headphones, analogue stereo outs control room and studio outputs?
forumuser805990
Poster

Post by Kwackman »

I am biased towards these desks so won’t believe they go faulty!

First, have you reset the desk to factory settings?

If not, here’s how…(from Yamaha’s site)

1. Turn the power off.

2. Press and hold down the Left Cursor button while turning the power on. Continue to hold the button down until a dialog box appears on the display. The dialog box will read ''Please Confirm: Initializatize Memory? [ ] Cancel [ ] Execute''.

3. Using the cursor buttons, navigate to the EXECUTE option and press [ENTER].

The 02R will now execute the Factory Reset procedure automatically. The procedure will take less than 10 seconds.

NOTE: The faders will be recalibrated during this procedure. Be sure to avoid touching the faders while they are moving during this procedure. The fader recalibration is finished when all faders return to the minimum position.

Next, I'd suggest the following..

Recall SCENE MEMORY 0 to put the desk in it’s initial settings.
After that, I’d suggest using the desk’s internal tone generator to try to get an output.
Turn your speakers down, headphones down just on case things get too loud!
Press the Utility button until you get to page 1/4 called “Oscillator”. Turn the level down, if it isn’t already to say around -20dB Then use the On/Off button to turn the oscillator on. Press the “Stereo Assign” button and that should be tone going to the main stereo out…
The Manual says when you turn the oscillator ON, the Control Room DIM button will come on automatically- just be aware.

In the “Control Room” section of the desk, select “ST” button.
With any luck, you might hear tone on your speakers and/or headphones.
If so, then it’s a routing problem with your drum machine.
If not, well, I suppose there might be a desk fault, but I’m hoping it’s not!
Good luck…

Edit to add,
If you haven't already got it, there's a downloadable manual available at
https://uk.yamaha.com/files/download/ot ... 02Rv2E.pdf
Kwackman
Frequent Poster
Posts: 3221 Joined: Thu Nov 07, 2002 12:00 am Location: Belfast
Cubase, guitars.

Kwackman wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 10:00 pm I am biased towards these desks so won’t believe they go faulty!

First, have you reset the desk to factory settings?

If not, here’s how…(from Yamaha’s site)

1. Turn the power off.

2. Press and hold down the Left Cursor button while turning the power on. Continue to hold the button down until a dialog box appears on the display. The dialog box will read ''Please Confirm: Initializatize Memory? [ ] Cancel [ ] Execute''.

3. Using the cursor buttons, navigate to the EXECUTE option and press [ENTER].

The 02R will now execute the Factory Reset procedure automatically. The procedure will take less than 10 seconds.

NOTE: The faders will be recalibrated during this procedure. Be sure to avoid touching the faders while they are moving during this procedure. The fader recalibration is finished when all faders return to the minimum position.

Next, I'd suggest the following..

Recall SCENE MEMORY 0 to put the desk in it’s initial settings.
After that, I’d suggest using the desk’s internal tone generator to try to get an output.
Turn your speakers down, headphones down just on case things get too loud!
Press the Utility button until you get to page 1/4 called “Oscillator”. Turn the level down, if it isn’t already to say around -20dB Then use the On/Off button to turn the oscillator on. Press the “Stereo Assign” button and that should be tone going to the main stereo out…
The Manual says when you turn the oscillator ON, the Control Room DIM button will come on automatically- just be aware.

In the “Control Room” section of the desk, select “ST” button.
With any luck, you might hear tone on your speakers and/or headphones.
If so, then it’s a routing problem with your drum machine.
If not, well, I suppose there might be a desk fault, but I’m hoping it’s not!
Good luck…

Edit to add,
If you haven't already got it, there's a downloadable manual available at
https://uk.yamaha.com/files/download/ot ... 02Rv2E.pdf

Thanks for the swift reply Kwackman much appreciated :)
I really don’t want to believe there’s a fault with this.
It’s a lovely unit and seems to work fine up
until the stage of getting a signal out of the thing?
So I did a factory reset as described and changed the almost dead battery yesterday.
I also used scene 0 as the initial template, made sure everything was routed to the stereo output.
I had ST selected in the control room section and no volume on any of the feeds to headphones, control room, studio, analogue outs etc.
I haven’t tried the oscillator yet. I did see the page when I was checking the sub menus and routing so will give that a go.
The word clock is set to 41khz
Its really frustrating. Spent the day yesterday trying to work it out with no joy.
I can see the signal on the main display meter fine but just can’t hear anything?
forumuser805990
Poster