Recommend a NS10 Amp?

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Recommend a NS10 Amp?

Post by Hugh Robjohns »

There are a host of adjectives describing the quality of a power amplifier, and a similar number of different interpretations and perceptions on what those adjectives mean.

A more powerful amp, in general, will control the speaker more effectively than a low-powered amp -- meaning, for example, that it can make the bass driver start and stop moving more precisely. This is a good thing... but the potential downside is that it can also 'overpower' the speaker causing damage to drive units.

With the best will in the world, NS10s aren't the most accurate of speakers, or the most difficult to drive. Historically they were often driven with Quad amps -- 303s (50W/channel) or 405s (100W/channel) -- but to be honest pretty much anything with around 100W/ch would do the job perfectly well.

I don't believe there is a 'holy grail' of most desirable amp to partner the NS10, and I suspect whatever weakness you're trying to address with a different amp is more likely to be an inherent limitation of what the NS10 can actually do!
Hugh Robjohns
Posts: 38835 Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2003 12:00 am Location: Worcestershire, UK
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound...
(But generally posting my own personal views and not necessarily those of SOS, the company or the magazine!)
In my world, things get less strange when I read the manual... 

Post by Angelface78 »

Hugh Robjohns wrote:With the best will in the world, NS10s aren't the most accurate of speakers, or the most difficult to drive. Historically they were often driven with Quad amps -- 303s (50W/channel) or 405s (100W/channel) -- but to be honest pretty much anything with around 100W/ch would do the job perfectly well.

I don't believe there is a 'holy grail' of most desirable amp to partner the NS10, and I suspect whatever weakness you're trying to address with a different amp is more likely to be an inherent limitation of what the NS10 can actually do!

Thanks again Hugh, I appreciate that. You explained that wonderfully!

The main reasons for the upgrade is so that I can have balanced inputs and also the additional power. Hoping the upgrade will eliminate the hum I am getting, which I suspect is as a result of unbalanced connections. Certainly no expecting miracles so to speak but an overall improvement would be great:-)
Angelface78
Poster

Post by Angelface78 »

The Nord One MP NC252 250W, was also suggested as a worthy contender and it is one of the choices I am considering. Any thoughts? Opinions welcomed😄

https://www.nordacoustics.co.uk/product ... -power-amp

Thanks in advance👍🏾
Angelface78
Poster

Post by Hugh Robjohns »

Yes, it uses Hypex NCore class-D module amps which are very good.
Hugh Robjohns
(But generally posting my own personal views and not necessarily those of SOS, the company or the magazine!)

Post by Angelface78 »

Hugh Robjohns wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 10:35 am Yes, it uses Hypex NCore class-D module amps which are very good.

Thank you Hugh for your response, which is encouraging and also very helpful. 😄
Angelface78
Poster

Post by James Perrett »

Yes, that Nord Amp is supposed to be slightly better than the UcD based amps that I mentioned before but it is around double the price. I'm not sure that you'd notice the difference with NS10's.
James Perrett
Posts: 14250 Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2001 12:00 am Location: The wilds of Hampshire
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Post by Angelface78 »

James Perrett wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 10:54 pm Yes, that Nord Amp is supposed to be slightly better than the UcD based amps that I mentioned before but it is around double the price. I'm not sure that you'd notice the difference with NS10's.

Thanks James for your response. I haven’t ruled out the option you kindly provided. Although, I have been on the hunt for user reviews and they are extremely thin on the ground! The main thing I need to ascertain is how “silent” is the unit?! especially with it using fans and not convection cooling. I just need to ensure that it doesn’t generate any audible noise, as I will be sitting very close to it! Also I would be absolutely thrilled if I can spend less then the Nord, but it does cause me to wonder how are they able to produce this unit at such a low cost?! 😄
Angelface78
Poster

Post by James Perrett »

I'd be surprised if the fans even came on at typical monitoring levels because the modules run fairly cool in my experience. However, I can't say for sure as I've not used those particular amps so I don't know what temperature thresholds they've set for the fans.
James Perrett

Post by Angelface78 »

James Perrett wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 10:44 pm I'd be surprised if the fans even came on at typical monitoring levels because the modules run fairly cool in my experience. However, I can't say for sure as I've not used those particular amps so I don't know what temperature thresholds they've set for the fans.

Appreciate your response James and for your honesty. I’m awaiting a response from them to hopefully answer my questions. So will be sure to update if I do go ahead with the purchase.
Angelface78
Poster

Post by Angelface78 »

Hello again,

I just wanted to provide an update on the amp situation:-). James: you might be interested to know that I did in fact purchase the amp, which you so kindly recommended ING STA-400D. However, unfortunately I did have to return the unit! Namely due to the noise it was producing, which was too loud when sitting in close proximity. However, the fan noise was noticeable but not as much of an issue as the strange rattling noise and hum that it also produced. I appreciate the recommendation and I am glad that I did get to audition the unit and could see that it would have been less of an issue if i was not so averse to noise and also if I was situated further away from the unit.

I then proceeded to order the Avantone CLA 100 based on your advice regarding wattage Hugh: I decided to go for the 100 watt p/c model as opposed to its bigger brother CLA 200. I figured the CLA 100 would be perfect for my needs as I don’t listen to my NS10’s at glass shattering levels!! but rather quite modest levels. Early impressions so far is that I am really happy with it. It’s still early days but i certainly hear an improvement in the NS10’s, which is great. I had comments from someone who came into my home studio and commented on “what’s changed” as they thought I had new monitors and said “sounds great and completely different”, so they were unaware that I had in fact changed the amp, so that is also encouraging. I will continue to test and update if anything changes.

Thanks for all your help and advice.😄
Angelface78
Poster

Post by Hugh Robjohns »

Great news. Thanks for the update -- it's always helpful to hear how the recommendations worked out.

Disappointing about the unwanted mechanical noises from the ING amp.
Hugh Robjohns

Post by James Perrett »

Thanks for the update. It is disappointing to hear that, what should be a very fine amp, was messed up by something that IMG added.
James Perrett