neodymium vs ferrite magnets in loudspeakers

Customising, building or repairing your own gear? Need help with acoustic treatment or soundproofing? Ask away…

Moderator: Moderators

neodymium vs ferrite magnets in loudspeakers

Post by AdiT »

Why the manufacturers of speakers/loudspeakers have not switched to production of speaker with neodymium magnets (especially, those for low freq). In the past two years, are producers who have won several international awards, some even innovation awards, with speakers that use ferrite magnets.

I know there are manufacturers who use neodymium magnet but represent a small percentage.
AdiT
Regular

Re: neodymium vs ferrite magnets in loudspeakers

Post by Hugh Robjohns »

If ferrite can generate the required flux density within acceptable size and weight constraints, why go to the expense of neodymium?

H
Hugh Robjohns
Posts: 38978 Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2003 12:00 am Location: Worcestershire, UK
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound...
(But generally posting my own personal views and not necessarily those of SOS, the company or the magazine!)
In my world, things get less strange when I read the manual... 

Post by shufflebeat »

While we're at it, can we agree a pronunciation?

...of the N word, that is.
shufflebeat
Longtime Poster
Posts: 9101 Joined: Sun Dec 09, 2007 12:00 am Location: Manchester, UK
“…I can tell you I don't have money, but what I do have are a very particular set of skills. Skills I have acquired over a very long career” - (folk musician, Manchester).

Post by Hugh Robjohns »

neo·dym·i·um \ˌnē-ō-ˈdi-mē-əm\
Hugh Robjohns
Posts: 38978 Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2003 12:00 am Location: Worcestershire, UK
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound...
(But generally posting my own personal views and not necessarily those of SOS, the company or the magazine!)
In my world, things get less strange when I read the manual... 

Post by Logarhythm »

Hugh Robjohns wrote:If ferrite can generate the required flux density within acceptable size and weight constraints, why go to the expense of neodymium?

It makes a huge difference to the sound... of marketing communications ;)
Logarhythm
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1093 Joined: Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:00 am Location: On an intergalactic voyage to collect fresh electrons

Post by shufflebeat »

Hugh Robjohns wrote:neo·dym·i·um \ˌnē-ō-ˈdi-mē-əm\

Ta.
shufflebeat
Longtime Poster
Posts: 9101 Joined: Sun Dec 09, 2007 12:00 am Location: Manchester, UK
“…I can tell you I don't have money, but what I do have are a very particular set of skills. Skills I have acquired over a very long career” - (folk musician, Manchester).

Post by Folderol »

Logarhythm wrote:
Hugh Robjohns wrote:If ferrite can generate the required flux density within acceptable size and weight constraints, why go to the expense of neodymium?

It makes a huge difference to the sound... of marketing communications ;)

It also makes a huge difference to the manufacturers bank balance.. coincidentally, yours too in the opposite direction.
Folderol
Jedi Poster
Posts: 18179 Joined: Sat Nov 15, 2008 12:00 am Location: The Mudway Towns, UK
Yes. I am that Linux nut {apparently now an 'elderly'}
Onwards and... err... sideways!

Post by IvanSC »

I can lift my 2x10 bass speaker box with one hand since I swapped the original ones for Celestion neos.

Same reason I have swapped out a lot of my gear. Size and weight.
IvanSC
Frequent Poster
Posts: 3041 Joined: Tue Mar 08, 2005 12:00 am Location: UK France & USA depending on the time of year.
Two bottles of Corona lemon and lime,  please!

Post by Folderol »

IvanSC wrote:I can lift my 2x10 bass speaker box with one hand since I swapped the original ones for Celestion neos.

It makes a huge difference to your general fitness, as you don't get so much exercise :tongue:
Folderol
Jedi Poster
Posts: 18179 Joined: Sat Nov 15, 2008 12:00 am Location: The Mudway Towns, UK
Yes. I am that Linux nut {apparently now an 'elderly'}
Onwards and... err... sideways!

Post by AdiT »

IvanSC wrote:I can lift my 2x10 bass speaker box with one hand since I swapped the original ones for Celestion neos.

if we talk about weight, IMO line array systems used for mobile scene, have the most benefit from neodymium
AdiT
Regular

Post by BigRedX »

The main market for Neodymium loudspeakers are musicians who gig regularly and have to move their own gear without the benefit of a road crew. So full-range powered PA cabs and bass cabs are where all the innovations are being made and where you'll find people being enthusiastic about the technology.

It's not really an issue with permanent installations like studios, or bands who are successful enough to be able to employ people to move all their heavy speaker cabs about for them.

Also remember that neodymium speakers are not simply conventional ones with lighter magnets. As soon as the chassis no longer has to support the weight of traditional magnets, the designers have a lot more scope for saving even more weight and improving the performance of the speaker. This means that that neodymium based speakers are never going to sound the same as "traditional" ones. And as we all know in the field of audio, what is technically better is not always as pleasing to the human ear that has years of being attuned to a certain type of sound.
BigRedX
Frequent Poster
RockinRollin' VampireMan

Post by AdiT »

If we take the speaker "A" and turns into a speaker with neodymium magnet "B" the only possible change that I see is some holes marked in red.
If you reduce the size of the chassis, will start to vibrate.

What other changes do you think are possible, to make it sound different?
AdiT
Regular

Post by IvanSC »

Chassis does not necessarily have to be made of sheet material.
A cast spider-style chassis would still be rigid enough without having to support the weight of a large magnet.
This has already been done many times in the past to very good effect.

In the early 60's my bass cabinet had a 22" speaker out of a juke box, which had a rigid spider fame made of cast aluminium.
Mind you it DID break pretty easily when I dropped it down a flight of concrete stairs leaving a gig! :lol:

I replaced it with two huge 1x18" Goodmans Audiom 90 reflex boxes! 50 watts handling capacity each!