New studio / DJ headphones - any suggestions?

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Moderator: Moderators

New studio / DJ headphones - any suggestions?

Post by alexandrabubbles »

Hey guys,

I'm looking for some new studio headphones (2 pair) and was hoping someone with more experience could help point me in the right direction? I'm also an inexperienced DJ :smirk: so need something that will work great in the studio, but is also hinged so i could fold up one of the earcups if I ever need to while DJing. I've been looking at the Shure SRH750's and the Pioneer HDJ-1500-S's. Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks for the help! :)
alexandrabubbles

Re: New studio / DJ headphones - any suggestions?

Post by shufflebeat »

Usual suspect would be Sennheisser hd25. good isolation for tracking and DJing but not really detailed enough for monitoring and mixing tracks. They do, however, last a million years if looked after properly.

And they do the foldy-ear-thing.
shufflebeat
Jedi Poster
Posts: 9091 Joined: Sun Dec 09, 2007 12:00 am Location: Manchester, UK
“…I can tell you I don't have money, but what I do have are a very particular set of skills. Skills I have acquired over a very long career” - (folk musician, Manchester).

Post by John Willett »

shufflebeat wrote:Usual suspect would be Sennheisser hd25. good isolation for tracking and DJing but not really detailed enough for monitoring and mixing tracks. They do, however, last a million years if looked after properly.

Yes - the perfect cans for DJs and superb for location recording.

But you really need good open headphones for mixing and mastering.

Not sure about a million years though - mine are only 25 years old, though they are still going strong.
John Willett
Jedi Poster
Posts: 7295 Joined: Tue Mar 07, 2000 12:00 am Location: Oxfordshire UK
John
Sound-Link ProAudio
Circle Sound Services
Sound-Link are UK Distributors for: Microtech Gefell, ME-Geithain, AETA, HUM, Håkan, Meyer Turtle

Post by Aled Hughes »

If you're on a budget, I thought the Sennheiser HD215 sounded good when I tried them. Not as hyped as some cheaper/DJ cans, and sounded flatter than some more expensive Sennheisers too (the Momentum range, which admittedly is going for another market. I had thought of buying a pair for my girlfriend as they do look rather nice. Wasn't keen on the sound.)
Aled Hughes
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1733 Joined: Tue Oct 24, 2006 12:00 am Location: Pwllheli, Cymru

Post by Richie Royale »

shufflebeat wrote:Usual suspect would be Sennheisser hd25. good isolation for tracking and DJing but not really detailed enough for monitoring and mixing tracks. They do, however, last a million years if looked after properly.

Yep, had these for years as a DJ and they are great. Ok for closed back recording too, but something more open is needed for mixing.
Richie Royale
Jedi Poster
Posts: 4551 Joined: Tue Sep 12, 2006 12:00 am Location: Bristol, England.

Post by vinyl_junkie »

The HD-25 is a decent safe choice I would recommend trying but I personally dislike them.
I find the top end too hard, the headphones too uncomfortable when DJ'ing or for regular use for prolonged periods and the small cups need to be fully on the ear to hear stuff properly.

The Technics RP-DJ1200 is probs my fave choice, they're also good at tracking and what have you in the studio but I'd recommend something else for mixdowns.
vinyl_junkie
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1571 Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2003 12:00 am Location: Kent, UK

So it seems that the majority says to go for the Sennheiser HD215's. I've been going off this guide http://www.pricenfees.com/best-dj-headphones.html and it doesn't even seem to have them listed in the top 10, are any of those on there a better choice, or is that list complete bs lol? That's where I originally came up with the ideas of trying the Shure SRH750's and the Pioneer HDJ-1500-S's.

Also, after reading a little bit about the Sennheiser HD215's I found some reviews about them being uncomfortable for those with smaller heads (im a girl 5'1" with a small frame), which also has me a little worried.

I'm going to have to look more into the Technics RP-DJ1200 - i plan on buying two sets anyway so it wouldnt be a problem for me to use one primarily for studio and another for mixing, etc.
alexandrabubbles

Post by Aled Hughes »

alexandrabubbles wrote:So it seems that the majority says to go for the Sennheiser HD215's.

No, they're saying go for the HD-25 (LIKE THIS) . I mentioned the HD-215 (THESE) which is a cheaper model, though I thought it sounded decent (though I only listened very quickly). The HD-25 is considerably more expensive and used widely.
Aled Hughes
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1733 Joined: Tue Oct 24, 2006 12:00 am Location: Pwllheli, Cymru

Post by The Elf »

The HD215s are very good indeed for the money and easily the best tracking cans I've ever bought. I wouldn't want to mix on them, but that's a completely different set of requirements and not a failing of the phones - what they do they do superbly well.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
Posts: 19937 Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2001 12:00 am Location: Sheffield, UK
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Post by Dynamic Mike »

+1 for HD 25's, especially if anyone using them wears glasses. I find them extremely comfortable, but I know not everyone does. They feel quite light & flimsy but they last forever.
Dynamic Mike
Jedi Poster
Keeping 2 Chevrons apart

Post by shufflebeat »

Dynamic Mike wrote:They feel quite light & flimsy but they last forever.

JW pulled me up for suggesting a million years, you"ll never get away with forever. Maybe we'll just have to stick around and prove him wrong.
shufflebeat
Jedi Poster
Posts: 9091 Joined: Sun Dec 09, 2007 12:00 am Location: Manchester, UK
“…I can tell you I don't have money, but what I do have are a very particular set of skills. Skills I have acquired over a very long career” - (folk musician, Manchester).

Ramirez wrote:
alexandrabubbles wrote:So it seems that the majority says to go for the Sennheiser HD215's.

No, they're saying go for the HD-25 (LIKE THIS) . I mentioned the HD-215 (THESE) which is a cheaper model, though I thought it sounded decent (though I only listened very quickly). The HD-25 is considerably more expensive and used widely.

Ohhh okay, my bad.

So, the plan is to buy the HD-25's and the Technics RP-DJ1200 - both will play different roles.
alexandrabubbles