Windows 10 for musicians SOS article

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

Moderator: Moderators

Windows 10 for musicians SOS article

Post by robinv »

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/nov15/a ... dows10.htm

I hope this article might be useful to some people here. I put a lot of time into getting the information right and speaking to the right people at Microsoft about it. Solid information can be hard to find so hopefully this is helpful to the conversation.

Cheers
Robin
robinv
Frequent Poster
Molten Music Technology - Synths, modular, software, Surface and weird noises.
https://linktr.ee/moltenmodular

Re: Windows 10 for musicians SOS article

Post by Pete Kaine »

Was just reading my mag, when you posted. One thing I've noted is the dual boot bit, and the suggestion that as Windows allows you to roll back, then perhaps having a W10 build and a W7 build, which can be booted between and be seen as a ongoing upgrade/downgrade senario.

It appears that MS has started to impliment a 30 day roll back limit, which I suspect if the end user doesn't log into that W7 install for a month will end up locking them out? The does appear to be work around for this, but its something you need to impliment at first install.

I don't think it was in place/obvious when you'd have submitted the article, but they do appear to be sneaking more and more gotcha's in as time progresses. It has caught out a few of my customers in the last few weeks, much to their annoyance!
Pete Kaine
Frequent Poster
Posts: 3171 Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2003 12:00 am Location: Manchester
Kit to fuel your G.A.S - https://www.scan.co.uk/shop/pro-audio

Post by robinv »

There ain't no going back! Probably...

And thanks SOS for the author's name typo in the magazine - geeez!
:headbang:
robinv
Frequent Poster

Post by robinv »

Pete Kaine wrote:Was just reading my mag, when you posted. One thing I've noted is the dual boot bit, and the suggestion that as Windows allows you to roll back, then perhaps having a W10 build and a W7 build, which can be booted between and be seen as a ongoing upgrade/downgrade senario.

I think that's always going to be a bit of a fudge and perhaps MS are right to tighten these things up. And also it occurs to me that perhaps it would useful to offer the retail version of Windows with the systems I build so that people can dual boot with abandon and move their OS etc - the OEM version is very restictive and we shouldn't assume that it can be used in ways that the retail version is designed for.
robinv
Frequent Poster

Post by ezza »

I couldn't read the whole article but I got as far as the clean install part.

If you want a clean install you can do it without purchasing a license. You have to upgrade your PC with the Windows 10 upgrader first. This registers your hardware with Microsoft. After that you can do a fresh install from a DVD or USB drive and you PC will authorize automatically.

Once you are sure that you don't want to go back to the previous OS you can recover a substantial chunk of disk space by deleting it. Instructions here:

http://hothardware.com/news/clean-up-and-recover-storage-spa...

Well worth doing if you are using a small SSD system drive.
ezza
Regular

Post by John Reid »

I made an image backup of the Windows 7 partition just before upgrading as I don't trust any automated process to be able to roll back such a substantial upgrade. I'll pop it back in after 30 days and see how it goes.

I've done the upgrade-and-then-clean install several times for people and it works prefectly; yes, you must upgrade first, but once you've done that, any subsequent reinstallation on the same hardware will come up already activated. I've even done this to change from a 32-bit Windows 8.1 to a clean install of 64-bit Windows 10.

I'm surprised I haven't seen anyone jumping up and down about the fact that, in order for this to be possible, Microsoft have to be able to uniquely identify your PC :shock: .... perhaps people need to go on Facebook, Twitter, Snapchat and all the other anti-social networks in order to protest this intrusion of privacy. ;)
John Reid
Regular
Posts: 121 Joined: Wed Sep 11, 2002 12:00 am Location: Craggy Island

Post by Forum Admin »

robinv wrote: And thanks SOS for the author's name typo in the magazine - geeez!

Not sure how they missed that one in editorial Robin! It's also wrong on the Tablet version.... apologies.

I have corrected the online article credit, which is typically the one that lives on in Google's memory.

cheers,
Ian G
Forum Admin
Posts: 4290 Joined: Mon Jul 21, 2003 11:00 pm Location: A studio deep in the fenlands of Cambridgeshire, UK
Search 16,966 SOS Reviews+Techniques articles: www.soundonsound.com/search
SOS Podcasts

Post by ezza »

John Reid wrote:I'm surprised I haven't seen anyone jumping up and down about the fact that, in order for this to be possible, Microsoft have to be able to uniquely identify your PC :shock: .... perhaps people need to go on Facebook, Twitter, Snapchat and all the other anti-social networks in order to protest this intrusion of privacy. ;)

Isn't this the same way that they keep track of Win XP, Vista, Win 7 & Win 8 authorizations?
ezza
Regular

Post by Matt Houghton »

robinv wrote:There ain't no going back! Probably...

And thanks SOS for the author's name typo in the magazine - geeez!

Hi Robin. I imagine that was a slip of my fingers or what passes for a brain, though won't be able to check until Monday (I have no copy or iPad here), when I'll make sure the mistake in all but print is corrected. My apologies...
Matt Houghton
Frequent Poster
SOS Reviews Editor

Post by ef37a »

The Post Ghost has struck again!
I was sure I asked if the factory recovery partition on my HP laptop would allow a return to W7 at any time if I went ahead and installed the free W10?

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster
Posts: 16517 Joined: Mon May 29, 2006 12:00 am Location: northampton uk
#They did not listen, they are not listening still...Perhaps they never will?#

Post by robinv »

Matt Houghton wrote:
Hi Robin. I imagine that was a slip of my fingers or what passes for a brain, though won't be able to check until Monday (I have no copy or iPad here), when I'll make sure the mistake in all but print is corrected. My apologies...

It's all cool - gives me another reason to mention it to people :)
robinv
Frequent Poster

Post by Matt Houghton »

...and now, back in the office, I find out the nature of the error. :blush:

There's rather a lot of manual transposing of information from the edited Word doc to the pre-formatted template in our DTP software, and my fingers/brain must have 'defaulted' to the other Robin's name. I'll get things changed... and make sure the money makes its way to the right Robin :headbang:
Matt Houghton
Frequent Poster
SOS Reviews Editor

Post by alexis »

I'd want a few hard copies to place strategically in the studio, give to family/friends, etc., with my name front and center! I don't suppose SOS could have a few copies of the corrected title page printed up? It could then be displayed with each page loose (in a laminated binder, e.g.,), and the SOS "fix" wouldn't have to involve re-binding the entire issue.

Just a thought, probably not a good one, but that's how one thinks when they're not famous like that! :-)
alexis
Frequent Poster
Posts: 3842 Joined: Fri Jan 10, 2003 12:00 am Location: San Antonio, TX USA
Cubase 12 Pro; i5-4570 3.2GHz,16GB RAM; W10 64 bit; Steinberg UR28M interface; Juno DS88; UAD2 Solo/Native; Revoice Pro

Post by robinv »

alexis wrote:I'd want a few hard copies to place strategically in the studio, give to family/friends, etc., with my name front and center! I don't suppose SOS could have a few copies of the corrected title page printed up? It could then be displayed with each page loose (in a laminated binder, e.g.,), and the SOS "fix" wouldn't have to involve re-binding the entire issue.

Just a thought, probably not a good one, but that's how one thinks when they're not famous like that! :-)

I usually put my name on masking tape over other people's articles so i'm used to that :)
robinv
Frequent Poster

Post by ezza »

ezza wrote:I couldn't read the whole article but I got as far as the clean install part.

If you want a clean install you can do it without purchasing a license. You have to upgrade your PC with the Windows 10 upgrader first. This registers your hardware with Microsoft. After that you can do a fresh install from a DVD or USB drive and you PC will authorize automatically.

Once you are sure that you don't want to go back to the previous OS you can recover a substantial chunk of disk space by deleting it. Instructions here:

http://hothardware.com/news/clean-up-and-recover-storage-spa...

Well worth doing if you are using a small SSD system drive.

Bought my copy at the weekend and can now see that you covered my points :-) Great article - very useful.
ezza
Regular

Post by ezza »

ef37a wrote:The Post Ghost has struck again!
I was sure I asked if the factory recovery partition on my HP laptop would allow a return to W7 at any time if I went ahead and installed the free W10?

Dave.

The Windows 10 installer will back up your Win 7 install and revert back to it (with all your settings and programs intact) whether you have a recovery partition or not.
ezza
Regular

Post by ef37a »

ezza wrote:

Dave.

The Windows 10 installer will back up your Win 7 install and revert back to it (with all your settings and programs intact) whether you have a recovery partition or not.

Really? Not the impressive I have got. So, I have ABSOLUTLY NOTHING TO FEAR INSTALLING W10 ON THIS LAPPY?

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster
Posts: 16517 Joined: Mon May 29, 2006 12:00 am Location: northampton uk
#They did not listen, they are not listening still...Perhaps they never will?#

Post by alexis »

ef37a wrote:
ezza wrote:

Dave.

Really? Not the impressive I have got. So, I have ABSOLUTLY NOTHING TO FEAR INSTALLING W10 ON THIS LAPPY?

Dave.

Image first!
alexis
Frequent Poster
Posts: 3842 Joined: Fri Jan 10, 2003 12:00 am Location: San Antonio, TX USA
Cubase 12 Pro; i5-4570 3.2GHz,16GB RAM; W10 64 bit; Steinberg UR28M interface; Juno DS88; UAD2 Solo/Native; Revoice Pro

Post by The Elf »

alexis wrote:
ef37a wrote:
ezza wrote:

Dave.

Dave.

Image first!

+99!
The Elf
Forum Aficionado
Posts: 20022 Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2001 12:00 am Location: Sheffield, UK
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Post by ezza »

After the upgrade your old Win 7 install is backed up in a folder on your C drive. You can revert back to it if you don't want to stay on Win 10. (I think it's an option if you boot into the advanced options with F8 on start-up).

However, I have not done it myself so I can't vouch for how well it works. As ever, in these situations, Google is your friend!
ezza
Regular