Windows 10 for musicians SOS article

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Windows 10 for musicians SOS article

Post by Von Junzt »

CS70 wrote:That's just the library with the generic windows driver framework functions, so the problem is likely elsewhere, in one of your drivers. Long shot, but if it's graphic-card related, these Intel onboard graphic cards didn't use to have their own memory, but used the regular one.. failures may indicate a looming problem your dram chips. Try a RAM diagnostics and see what it gives.

As of RME on PCI, I cannot but recommend it: on a pc which is by far not super-powerful (and some 4-5 years old now) I can run a 32 sample buffer = 0.7ms reported latency, with 4ms roundtrip latency. W10 needs a bit of tweaking to achieve that, however.

I ran mdsched.exe, and it couldn't find any errors. I will try memtest86 tomorrow. The laptop is relatively new, it still has warranty until 2022. So if something does go wrong, I get a replacement.

I have had issues with the fan (driver) not working (loading) correctly, which has always been resolved simply by turning it off and on again.

I'll run the Intel Processor Diagnostics Tool now. Damn bloody annoying!

-
Von Junzt
Poster

Re: Windows 10 for musicians SOS article

Post by CS70 »

Von Junzt wrote:
CS70 wrote:That's just the library with the generic windows driver framework functions, so the problem is likely elsewhere, in one of your drivers. Long shot, but if it's graphic-card related, these Intel onboard graphic cards didn't use to have their own memory, but used the regular one.. failures may indicate a looming problem your dram chips. Try a RAM diagnostics and see what it gives.

As of RME on PCI, I cannot but recommend it: on a pc which is by far not super-powerful (and some 4-5 years old now) I can run a 32 sample buffer = 0.7ms reported latency, with 4ms roundtrip latency. W10 needs a bit of tweaking to achieve that, however.

I ran mdsched.exe, and it couldn't find any errors. I will try memtest86 tomorrow. The laptop is relatively new, it still has warranty until 2022. So if something does go wrong, I get a replacement.

I have had issues with the fan (driver) not working (loading) correctly, which has always been resolved simply by turning it off and on again.

I'll run the Intel Processor Diagnostics Tool now. Damn bloody annoying!

-

It's a long shot anyway, can also be a simple bug in some driver and nothing hardware.. any driver can pass a wrong pointer to WDF which in turn will try to use to do something and generate a segmentation fault..
CS70
Longtime Poster
Posts: 7798 Joined: Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:00 am Location: Oslo, Norway
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page