Yamaha 02R digital mixing console.

Post your own hardware/software reviews.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Yamaha 02R digital mixing console.

Post by TheRealDJGibs »

Hi, I've owned my O2R since it was released in the '90s and would LOVE to enable the M2000 TC. I bought it with the TC Unity card, licensed with the Finalizer option. Its installed in slot 2 and I have an ADAT card in slot 1. Configured as an insert on BUS 5/6...
I have the manual and good for me, I wrote the S/N and code down.

S/N: 6300050
Finalizer: LIC5475D58A5734C6EEF98D

Not sure where you find the "dealer code"... I bought it from Long & McQuade (the original Bloor store before they expanded nation wide).

I still have the original TC Unit-Y User Manual Version 2 (Rev 3/1998). Says "backup battery life > 10 years" and I can concur, 23 years and still going! Do I need to worry about it dying and losing its software??

BTW, the 100 hours is based on the O2R being powered, doesn't matter if you use the card or not...

PS, the TC Unit-Y card came with O2R OS EPROMs (latest version as of November 1998) that had to be installed in the new O2R to ensure it was at the latest version and compatible with 2.10 TC.
TheRealDJGibs

Post by VTypeV4 »

Superb - looking great! :thumbup:

As for tutorials, I didn't find a definitive guide but the best advice I can give you is to get it setup for how you work. You can then quickly build other patches off this template rather than go through the bother of having to set it up each time.

I'm not sure how you work but, personally, I like running the 'stereo' channels (17-24) as my audio sub-groups as it gives dynamics and EQ over each pair in addition to the dynamics and EQ over the L/R bus. Having 16 channels, 8 groups and two fx returns without changing page is great and even if you double up to 32 channels using the cards, it's only one page change and that's only if you 'need' faders.. :thumbup:
VTypeV4
Regular
Posts: 169 Joined: Mon Nov 21, 2016 1:34 am Location: Stoke on Trent
Synkronize Music Group, part of the Sun Street Studios building in Hanley: Studio and Live Multi-Track Recording, Mastering House and bespoke Tuition Services.

www.synkronize.co.uk & www.facebook.com/synkronizemusicgroup

Post by VTypeV4 »

TheRealDJGibs wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 3:03 pm Hi, I've owned my O2R since it was released in the '90s and would LOVE to enable the M2000 TC. I bought it with the TC Unity card, licensed with the Finalizer option. Its installed in slot 2 and I have an ADAT card in slot 1. Configured as an insert on BUS 5/6...
I have the manual and good for me, I wrote the S/N and code down.

S/N: 6300050
Finalizer: LIC5475D58A5734C6EEF98D

Not sure where you find the "dealer code"... I bought it from Long & McQuade (the original Bloor store before they expanded nation wide).

I still have the original TC Unit-Y User Manual Version 2 (Rev 3/1998). Says "backup battery life > 10 years" and I can concur, 23 years and still going! Do I need to worry about it dying and losing its software??

BTW, the 100 hours is based on the O2R being powered, doesn't matter if you use the card or not...

PS, the TC Unit-Y card came with O2R OS EPROMs (latest version as of November 1998) that had to be installed in the new O2R to ensure it was at the latest version and compatible with 2.10 TC.

And someone else still using these - brilliant!
VTypeV4
Regular
Synkronize Music Group, part of the Sun Street Studios building in Hanley: Studio and Live Multi-Track Recording, Mastering House and bespoke Tuition Services.

Post by Failed Muso »

VTypeV4 wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 8:45 am Yes, two chips that simply replace the existing ones. I popped my old ones out with a wooden skewer and pushed the new ones in carefully by hand. It's a 10 minute job - just be careful not to bend the legs on the chips..

My 2.16 chips just arrived! Before I open up the 02R, can you confirm the location of the firmware chips on the board? I'm looking through the service manual, but can't locate them.

Are they easily accessed simply by opening up the unit and lifting the top panel or do I have to dig deeper?

Thanks in advance :)
Failed Muso
Poster
Posts: 32 Joined: Sun Jun 03, 2007 12:00 am Location: Suffolk, UK
Music Technologist, SOS Podcaster, Writer, Instructional Designer, Fairlights.

Post by VTypeV4 »

They're in the rear panel. No need to take the lid off, just remove the panel and they're on the right hand side.. :thumbup:
VTypeV4
Regular

Post by Failed Muso »

VTypeV4 wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 10:00 am They're in the rear panel. No need to take the lid off, just remove the panel and they're on the right hand side.. :thumbup:

Excellent! That saved me a load of bother :) Thank you!

2.16TC chips fitted and everything seems to be fully operational.

However, I wanted to run the diagnostics but I can't seem to invoke the test system as outlined in the service manual. It tells me to hold down the STEREO SEL button and CURSOR > button together and power the device on. I get the pop up that says "DIAGNOSTICS? CANCEL EXECUTE" but when I select EXECUTE and hit enter, the system just seems to ignore it. Any suggestions? Did they change something in the 2.16 OS?

I've tried a system init. and that hasn't helped.
Failed Muso
Poster

Post by Failed Muso »

I'm also curious about computer connectivity. I've seen references to the 02R being able to communicate with a computer application but can't find any specifics about it. Can anyone elaborate?
Failed Muso
Poster

Post by VTypeV4 »

There was some software that was designed to control the 02R but I've never found the Yamaha files - least of all used them, sadly. There was a third party version that I do have a copy (on floppy!) of but it wouldn't work even on Win XP. :headbang:

Studio manager that I use with the DM2000 is really good for making a template - it's a shame the older stuff won't connect with it.
VTypeV4
Regular

Post by Failed Muso »

VTypeV4 wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 7:38 pm There was some software that was designed to control the 02R but I've never found the Yamaha files - least of all used them, sadly. There was a third party version that I do have a copy (on floppy!) of but it wouldn't work even on Win XP. :headbang:

Studio manager that I use with the DM2000 is really good for making a template - it's a shame the older stuff won't connect with it.

Ah well, thanks for the info. Was just curious.

Any idea about my diagnostics mode issue? (see above)
Failed Muso
Poster

Post by VTypeV4 »

Sorry, no - I've never really used the diagnostic page. For me they've either worked, gone truly bananas or won't even power up so never needed diagnostics.

As far as I'm aware, the later OS were simply tweaked to handle the Unity cards with no real changes (that I know to at least) to the rest of the exiting platform.
VTypeV4
Regular

Post by VTypeV4 »

Given this is an often 'stumbled upon' thread, I thought I'd post that mine are still going in 2022. This is home / ex ITV example being used to mix a live album due for release in April..

Image02R in 22A by VTypeV4, on Flickr

Image02R in 22B by VTypeV4, on Flickr

How many are still using theirs in 2022?
VTypeV4
Regular

Post by Bme »

@theRealDJGibs: I can provide your missing code.
Please give me the exact texts of all the screens when you enter the ST command in the "TC unity card utility page".
And I like to have a clear picture of the component side of your card so I can read the little stickers.
I'm 100% sure I can help you.
Bme
Poster