Yamaha 02R digital mixing console.

Post your own hardware/software reviews.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Yamaha 02R digital mixing console.

Post by TheRealDJGibs »

Hi, I've owned my O2R since it was released in the '90s and would LOVE to enable the M2000 TC. I bought it with the TC Unity card, licensed with the Finalizer option. Its installed in slot 2 and I have an ADAT card in slot 1. Configured as an insert on BUS 5/6...
I have the manual and good for me, I wrote the S/N and code down.

S/N: 6300050
Finalizer: LIC5475D58A5734C6EEF98D

Not sure where you find the "dealer code"... I bought it from Long & McQuade (the original Bloor store before they expanded nation wide).

I still have the original TC Unit-Y User Manual Version 2 (Rev 3/1998). Says "backup battery life > 10 years" and I can concur, 23 years and still going! Do I need to worry about it dying and losing its software??

BTW, the 100 hours is based on the O2R being powered, doesn't matter if you use the card or not...

PS, the TC Unit-Y card came with O2R OS EPROMs (latest version as of November 1998) that had to be installed in the new O2R to ensure it was at the latest version and compatible with 2.10 TC.
TheRealDJGibs

Post by VTypeV4 »

Superb - looking great! :thumbup:

As for tutorials, I didn't find a definitive guide but the best advice I can give you is to get it setup for how you work. You can then quickly build other patches off this template rather than go through the bother of having to set it up each time.

I'm not sure how you work but, personally, I like running the 'stereo' channels (17-24) as my audio sub-groups as it gives dynamics and EQ over each pair in addition to the dynamics and EQ over the L/R bus. Having 16 channels, 8 groups and two fx returns without changing page is great and even if you double up to 32 channels using the cards, it's only one page change and that's only if you 'need' faders.. :thumbup:
VTypeV4
Regular
Posts: 170 Joined: Mon Nov 21, 2016 1:34 am Location: Stoke on Trent
Synkronize Music Group, part of the Sun Street Studios building in Hanley: Studio and Live Multi-Track Recording, Mastering House and bespoke Tuition Services.

www.synkronize.co.uk & www.facebook.com/synkronizemusicgroup

Post by VTypeV4 »

TheRealDJGibs wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 3:03 pm Hi, I've owned my O2R since it was released in the '90s and would LOVE to enable the M2000 TC. I bought it with the TC Unity card, licensed with the Finalizer option. Its installed in slot 2 and I have an ADAT card in slot 1. Configured as an insert on BUS 5/6...
I have the manual and good for me, I wrote the S/N and code down.

S/N: 6300050
Finalizer: LIC5475D58A5734C6EEF98D

Not sure where you find the "dealer code"... I bought it from Long & McQuade (the original Bloor store before they expanded nation wide).

I still have the original TC Unit-Y User Manual Version 2 (Rev 3/1998). Says "backup battery life > 10 years" and I can concur, 23 years and still going! Do I need to worry about it dying and losing its software??

BTW, the 100 hours is based on the O2R being powered, doesn't matter if you use the card or not...

PS, the TC Unit-Y card came with O2R OS EPROMs (latest version as of November 1998) that had to be installed in the new O2R to ensure it was at the latest version and compatible with 2.10 TC.

And someone else still using these - brilliant!
VTypeV4
Regular
Synkronize Music Group, part of the Sun Street Studios building in Hanley: Studio and Live Multi-Track Recording, Mastering House and bespoke Tuition Services.

Post by Failed Muso »

VTypeV4 wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 8:45 am Yes, two chips that simply replace the existing ones. I popped my old ones out with a wooden skewer and pushed the new ones in carefully by hand. It's a 10 minute job - just be careful not to bend the legs on the chips..

My 2.16 chips just arrived! Before I open up the 02R, can you confirm the location of the firmware chips on the board? I'm looking through the service manual, but can't locate them.

Are they easily accessed simply by opening up the unit and lifting the top panel or do I have to dig deeper?

Thanks in advance :)
Failed Muso
Poster
Posts: 32 Joined: Sun Jun 03, 2007 12:00 am Location: Suffolk, UK
Music Technologist, SOS Podcaster, Writer, Instructional Designer, Fairlights.

Post by VTypeV4 »

They're in the rear panel. No need to take the lid off, just remove the panel and they're on the right hand side.. :thumbup:
VTypeV4
Regular

Post by Failed Muso »

VTypeV4 wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 10:00 am They're in the rear panel. No need to take the lid off, just remove the panel and they're on the right hand side.. :thumbup:

Excellent! That saved me a load of bother :) Thank you!

2.16TC chips fitted and everything seems to be fully operational.

However, I wanted to run the diagnostics but I can't seem to invoke the test system as outlined in the service manual. It tells me to hold down the STEREO SEL button and CURSOR > button together and power the device on. I get the pop up that says "DIAGNOSTICS? CANCEL EXECUTE" but when I select EXECUTE and hit enter, the system just seems to ignore it. Any suggestions? Did they change something in the 2.16 OS?

I've tried a system init. and that hasn't helped.
Failed Muso
Poster

Post by Failed Muso »

I'm also curious about computer connectivity. I've seen references to the 02R being able to communicate with a computer application but can't find any specifics about it. Can anyone elaborate?
Failed Muso
Poster

Post by VTypeV4 »

There was some software that was designed to control the 02R but I've never found the Yamaha files - least of all used them, sadly. There was a third party version that I do have a copy (on floppy!) of but it wouldn't work even on Win XP. :headbang:

Studio manager that I use with the DM2000 is really good for making a template - it's a shame the older stuff won't connect with it.
VTypeV4
Regular

Post by Failed Muso »

VTypeV4 wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 7:38 pm There was some software that was designed to control the 02R but I've never found the Yamaha files - least of all used them, sadly. There was a third party version that I do have a copy (on floppy!) of but it wouldn't work even on Win XP. :headbang:

Studio manager that I use with the DM2000 is really good for making a template - it's a shame the older stuff won't connect with it.

Ah well, thanks for the info. Was just curious.

Any idea about my diagnostics mode issue? (see above)
Failed Muso
Poster

Post by VTypeV4 »

Sorry, no - I've never really used the diagnostic page. For me they've either worked, gone truly bananas or won't even power up so never needed diagnostics.

As far as I'm aware, the later OS were simply tweaked to handle the Unity cards with no real changes (that I know to at least) to the rest of the exiting platform.
VTypeV4
Regular

Post by VTypeV4 »

Given this is an often 'stumbled upon' thread, I thought I'd post that mine are still going in 2022. This is home / ex ITV example being used to mix a live album due for release in April..

Image02R in 22A by VTypeV4, on Flickr

Image02R in 22B by VTypeV4, on Flickr

How many are still using theirs in 2022?
VTypeV4
Regular

Post by Bme »

@theRealDJGibs: I can provide your missing code.
Please give me the exact texts of all the screens when you enter the ST command in the "TC unity card utility page".
And I like to have a clear picture of the component side of your card so I can read the little stickers.
I'm 100% sure I can help you.
Bme
New here

Post by Bme »

Failed Muso wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 2:29 pm
VTypeV4 wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 10:00 am They're in the rear panel. No need to take the lid off, just remove the panel and they're on the right hand side.. :thumbup:

Excellent! That saved me a load of bother :) Thank you!

2.16TC chips fitted and everything seems to be fully operational.

However, I wanted to run the diagnostics but I can't seem to invoke the test system as outlined in the service manual. It tells me to hold down the STEREO SEL button and CURSOR > button together and power the device on. I get the pop up that says "DIAGNOSTICS? CANCEL EXECUTE" but when I select EXECUTE and hit enter, the system just seems to ignore it. Any suggestions? Did they change something in the 2.16 OS?

I've tried a system init. and that hasn't helped.

I can confirm that when you have SW 2.16 the diagnosis page is not avaliable anymore. The memory space is needed for the TC unity functionality.
I was thinking of making a piggy back : two times two IC's above and switch them with a switch.
Bme
New here

Post by mainegrw »

Hello all,
New member here, I joined the forum today because I have found myself the owner of a Yamaha 02R, and was looking for some help sorting out a couple issues with it, forgive me if this isn't the right place to ask.

I scooped up the console from Facebook Marketplace from an older gentleman who bought it from a local music shop, but judging by the info written on the cover of the manual, I believe the original owners were a local college nearby. The console is a Version 2, and came with the meter bridge as well as two CD8-AD slot cards installed, with a few physical condition issues: the meter bridge connector on the bridge side was physically broken, but easily repaired, and one of the CD8-AD slot cards has some damage on it. I suspect the console took a hit at some point. The enter button was also broken, but I was able to find a new key cap online and replaced it last night.

As for the good: she boots up and seems to run fine, the battery is good according to the utility check, and all the faders seem to move alright, albeit a couple are a little sticky, I think some Deoxit might do them some good. I have the console tied to two M-Audio BX5 monitors on my desk curre tly via XLR through the main outputs, and the audio sounds really good, like better than the Presonus Studiolive 24.4.2 I also have. I feel right at home on this console, she's very close functionally the the LS9s and M7CLs I used to run when I was doing audio full-time.

Now for the bad: the Aux Sends seem to not be functional, nor the control room and monitor outs. There's audio on the lines but buried beneath a whole lot of hum and noise. I can reroute the Aux Sends to the CD8-AD cards and from there I get a better output, still with a bit of noise, but far less than out of the console directly. I'm wondering if any of you have had similar issues, and if there's something I should be looking at directly as a potential culprit.

I didn't spend much on this console, it was more of an impulse buy than anything at $100 US, but I'd like to tinker with it and see if I can get it working a little better. If anything, she's a neat conversation piece in my office. Thanks for any advice you all can give.
mainegrw

Post by VTypeV4 »

This thread seems to have become the go-to life line for these old things. :sos::thumbup:

Sounds like you might have some electronic issues as the rear panel mounted outputs are quite hot on my examples. -18dBFS on the meter drives everything to just over reference assuming unity gain on my connected devices - I'm reasonably sure the manual quotes +4dBU. The noise floor isn't exceptionaly low on those outs but, at the same time is more than serviceable. Being honest, I've never really compared them via the digital version on the option cards but can't imagine it's a night and day difference.

As you've used LS9 and M7 before (I still love these two consoles, too), the DNA is definitely very similar indeed. Also, much like both of those, a little bit of a template / start scene setup on the 02R can save a good chunk of time.

What the 02R doesn't share with it's newer siblings is the omni outs - aux outs are that by default although they are switchable to the bus outs also but I would think you've already checked that.

The masters for the auxes are buried in the 'meter' page however, from memory, you can control them (on faders rather than the jog wheel) via the 'remote' page. To do this, hold the 'flip' button, select a remote channel (there's 4 available in the top left corner) and scroll through the control templates until you see 'bus / aux masters'. The faders will fly into position and become the controllers for your bus and aux masters. If it has a TC Electronic card, you'll control that from this page too.

Not meaning to insult or assume but lastly, check your pre / post settings as they are switchable per channel plus they're all switchable on / off too - something that seems reasonably unique to the 02R.

As for the CR / Studio outputs, the only things I can think is to check their routing options on the dual row of buttons that run down the right hand side of the console.

Good luck! :thumbup:
VTypeV4
Regular

Post by Kalai »

Does anyone know where to get spares for O2R console I am looking for (SMD Din package Ic's) . Please help !
IC PCM 1702U - 8 Nos
IC PCM69AU - 4 Nos
IC YSF210 - 4 Nos
Thank you.
Kalai

Post by Bme »

Try eBay.
But I think it is too expensive to replace all the A-D and D-A convertors.
Maybe aliExpress is cheaper.
Bme
New here

Post by VTypeV4 »

Image02R in bits by VTypeV4, on Flickr

A bit of a minor hiccup this week with a rogue 'dimmer' button - frustratingly mid live album mix. :o Oddly, it'd been previously modded so the actual dimmer switch was removed from the PCB so I have no idea how it was activated..!? Anyways, shorting the location of where the switch should have been seems to have resolved the issue..

Image02R in bits by VTypeV4, on Flickr
VTypeV4
Regular

Post by pstoddart »

Hi BME, have you found a way to generate the licence codes?
pstoddart

Post by VTypeV4 »

Image02R23StingrayMix by VTypeV4, on Flickr

Mid 2023 and the home 02R (pictured above) is still going well and is currently in use mixing a live recording session. The live one (pictured below) based at the Rigger is still alive and kicking too - it happily did over 12 hours continuous work yesterday without the slightest glitch as part of an all day festival. :thumbup:

ImageXD DM 02R by VTypeV4, on Flickr

The third one hasn't seen much action in the last 12 months as I purchased a DM1000 for live / recording duties. It remains on standby although, ultimately, I'll take it to the studio.

Image02R23StingrayMixB by VTypeV4, on Flickr
VTypeV4
Regular