the latest Behringer-gate

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: the latest Behringer-gate

Post by The Elf »

Eddy Deegan wrote:Also I'm intrigued by the presence of multiple filter types in the Berry.

Mine is the full-size Korg re-issue, so I have the filter type switch. That really is a genuinely inspirational feature, so it's great to see it cheekily make its way to the Berry version. The 12dB filter option is particularly good.
The Elf
Forum Aficionado
Posts: 20053 Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2001 12:00 am Location: Sheffield, UK
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Post by Wonks »

DGL. wrote:Yes it has all filter types, also according to the Amazona.de review it sounds more authentic tyan the KORG clone.

If Gordon Reid said the KARP sounds like an Odyssey in his review https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/korg-arp-odyssey then after all his comparative testing, I'd take that to mean that it does sound just like an Odyssey. My German isn't good enough to read the Amazona.de article, so I don't know how it was tested, but I suggest any differences between the sounds of the KARP and the Behringer are probably no more than the differences between two original models would be with component tolerances.

If the Behringer has stuck to the adjustment limits of the original Odyssey, then you may get a sound closer to that of the original Odyssey by putting the controls in the same positions, but the slightly wider adjustment range of the KARP compared to the original doesn't mean that you can't get the same sounds out of it.

But if the Behringer is as good as it appears to be, then my KARP will probably be replaced, as the full-sized keys do make a difference and I won't need to use another keyboard to drive it. If only Korg had built the KARP with full-sized keys to start with (and not just in the later limited edition version)!

But Behringer still spoil things somewhat by using a wall-wart PSU.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Posts: 17024 Joined: Thu May 29, 2003 12:00 am Location: Reading, UK
Reliably fallible.

Post by Sam Spoons »

Wonks wrote: But Behringer still spoil things somewhat by using a wall-wart PSU.

It's the price you pay for the price though :blush:
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Posts: 19734 Joined: Thu Jan 23, 2003 12:00 am Location: Manchester UK
People often mistake me for a grown-up because of my age.

Post by Wonks »

It is. It's really (in my opinion) all to do with CE marking and EMC regs. Before they came in, almost everything substantial had a mains-fed internal PSU. Then it became easier to test and certify the PSU and equipment separately, (which didn't guarantee any better EMC results when combined) but made things easier to engineer and guarantee passing the EMC tests, so we generally now end up with wall warts, when it wouldn't cost any more to bring mains into the units.

The regs were a good idea (because we don't want equipment interfering with other kit) but very poorly implemented.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Posts: 17024 Joined: Thu May 29, 2003 12:00 am Location: Reading, UK
Reliably fallible.

Post by The Elf »

The Karp (at least mine) sounds as identical to an original white-face Odyssey as another original white-face Odyssey. I know this, because I've had originals and Karp side by side for a couple of months and fooled around with them to see for myself. It's not something that troubles me greatly, though it was of academic interest. :)

BTW I had my Karp FS modified to have that damned external PSU fitted inside the case and a Euro power socket fitted. This will be done to any of my synths that allow for the mod!
The Elf
Forum Aficionado

Post by Dave B »

NB: All kArp Oddys have the 3 filter types - mini, module and full size.

I have half a mind to pick up another to go with the mini that I have. In that case, I think it will be the kArp module. No slight against the Berry, but then I'm happy with the kArps.

If the 2600 does come out, then I might be tempted...
Dave B
Longtime Poster
Posts: 5931 Joined: Thu Apr 03, 2003 12:00 am Location: Maidenhead
Veni, Vidi, Aesculi (I came, I saw, I conkered)

Post by johnny h »

Sam Spoons wrote:
Wonks wrote: But Behringer still spoil things somewhat by using a wall-wart PSU.

It's the price you pay for the price though :blush:

Even the rereleased Minimoog uses an external PSU.

It's annoying but I don't think things will change anytime soon. If you have an internal power supply you need to go through far more stringent safety tests, which are costly and time consuming.
johnny h
Frequent Poster

Post by Drew Stephenson »

Sam Spoons wrote: It's the price you pay for the price though :blush:

Can't believe you didn't go with "It's the price you pay for the price you pay." I know it's actually slightly less clear but it's practically poetry! ;)
Drew Stephenson
Forum Aficionado
Posts: 24654 Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:00 am Location: York
(The forumuser formerly known as Blinddrew)
Ignore the rumours that I might have an idea what I'm doing...
https://drewstephenson.bandcamp.com/

Post by Sam Spoons »

You know me so well :D ........ Anyway I nearly did , with an '....err....' before the final 'you pay' but decided short and simple was the way to go.....
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster

Post by Drew Stephenson »

And I'm sure less pedantic readers (and those in more of a hurry) thank you accordingly. :)
Drew Stephenson
Forum Aficionado
Posts: 24654 Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:00 am Location: York
(The forumuser formerly known as Blinddrew)
Ignore the rumours that I might have an idea what I'm doing...
https://drewstephenson.bandcamp.com/

Post by Sam Spoons »

:lol:
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster

Post by ConcertinaChap »

Love the way threads here can veer from deep technical discussion to consideration of the soul of the creative process in but a moment. Inspirational!

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Posts: 12962 Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2005 12:00 am Location: Bradford on Avon
Mr Punch's Studio
Life's a long song
but the tune ends too soon for us all

Post by Sam Spoons »

:D:thumbup:
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster

Post by Folderol »

ConcertinaChap wrote:Love the way threads here can veer from deep technical discussion to consideration of the soul of the creative process in but a moment. Inspirational!

CC

... but the other 95% is perspirational :tongue:
Folderol
Jedi Poster
Posts: 18223 Joined: Sat Nov 15, 2008 12:00 am Location: The Mudway Towns, UK
Yes. I am that Linux nut {apparently now an 'elderly'}
Onwards and... err... sideways!

Post by Sam Spoons »

Very perspicacious of you Foldy
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster

Post by DGL. »

MS101 is now in pre-production where they make 50 units to find any problems before they go into full production.
The slight delays have been due to the factory running at near full capacity and basically not having any time to fit in the production of new products.
Looking at tyhe picture that uli has posted they look good and accordimg to one of the beta testers it's as near as the same size as the original.
DGL.
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1963 Joined: Fri Oct 28, 2011 12:00 am Location: Portland, Dorset

Post by muzines »

Personally, I've never understood why people love them quite so much, but whatever floats yer musical boat, and all..!
muzines
Jedi Poster
..............................mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio  | Legacy Logic Project Conversion

Post by BigRedX »

desmond wrote:Personally, I've never understood why people love them quite so much, but whatever floats yer musical boat, and all..!

Nostalgia. They were relatively cheap at the time so lots of synth players had one - myself included. Of course nearly all of us wanted something with two oscillators and two envelope generators, but a synth with those features cost considerably more.

Also if you wanted to use it as a "keytar" the next cheapest alternative was the Casio CZ101 which had mini keys and no modulation grip. After that you were probably looking at a Yamaha KX5 plus a MIDI synth for it to drive...
BigRedX
Frequent Poster
RockinRollin' VampireMan

Post by The Elf »

desmond wrote:Personally, I've never understood why people love them quite so much, but whatever floats yer musical boat, and all..!

+1 This isn't one I'll be chasing.
The Elf
Forum Aficionado

Post by Dave B »

I quite like the 101. This is probably a bit of nostalgia - it was my first synth - but it also slots into tracks quite nicely. Yes, we all lusted after things with more oscillators, but quite a few of us regretted parting with the simpler, fun one. I can see a space for that sound in my collection - not sure if it would be this or a System-1m. Will have to see.
Dave B
Longtime Poster
Posts: 5931 Joined: Thu Apr 03, 2003 12:00 am Location: Maidenhead
Veni, Vidi, Aesculi (I came, I saw, I conkered)