the latest Behringer-gate

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: the latest Behringer-gate

Post by DGL. »

...And Andertons are saying 11th Sep. price £399!, that's ~£170 cheaper than even the mini korg odyssey! (and ~£50 less than the module), but the Behringer has effects, a metal case, light up faders, has a built in arp/sequencer, has all 3 filters, is full size and has decent full size keys (assuming the same keys as the VC340/MS101).

https://www.andertons.co.uk/behringer-o ... ynthesizer
DGL.
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1962 Joined: Fri Oct 28, 2011 12:00 am Location: Portland, Dorset

Post by The Elf »

Even though I have the Korg full-size this is a stone cold 'take my money'. As long as it works as expected it's an absolute winner.
The Elf
Forum Aficionado
Posts: 20028 Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2001 12:00 am Location: Sheffield, UK
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Post by Arpangel »

The Elf wrote:Even though I have the Korg full-size this is a stone cold 'take my money'. As long as it works as expected it's an absolute winner.

Absolutely, and at £399 it's just beyond belief, it's a question of why not? This is all getting really crazy now. If they've cracked it like the D, it's a no brainer.
Last edited by Arpangel on Sat Jul 27, 2019 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Post by The Elf »

...and, for anyone that wonders, yes I *will* be getting the PSU mounted inside the case!

Behringer are usually pretty good on this point, but they've let me down with the Odyssey, for some reason.
The Elf
Forum Aficionado

Post by DGL. »

Arpangel wrote:
The Elf wrote:Even though I have the Korg full-size this is a stone cold 'take my money'. As long as it works as expected it's an absolute winner.

Absolutely, and at £399 it's just beyond belief, it's a question of why not? This is all getting really crazy now. If they've cracked it like the D, it's a no brainer.

Although go to Thomann and it's only €432 which is £388 so even more of a no brainer. Plus it looks like it now has multicoloured LED's rather than the white one the prototypes had, I guessing to recreate the original fader caps.
DGL.
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1962 Joined: Fri Oct 28, 2011 12:00 am Location: Portland, Dorset

Post by Arpangel »

DGL. wrote:Plus it looks like it now has multicoloured LED's

How dare they come back with a Coup De Gras......the swines! how can I possibly resist!

:D
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Post by Folderol »

Not looking
Not listening
La la la la la la
Folderol
Jedi Poster
Posts: 18182 Joined: Sat Nov 15, 2008 12:00 am Location: The Mudway Towns, UK
Yes. I am that Linux nut {apparently now an 'elderly'}
Onwards and... err... sideways!

Post by BillB »

Folderol wrote:La la la la la la

Hey, that would sound great on an odyssey!
BillB
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1915 Joined: Mon Apr 07, 2003 12:00 am Location: East Yorkshire

Post by Arpangel »

Not sure about posting this here, or it may deserve a seperate thread, may be?
As gear becomes cheaper and cheaper, resale prices also go the same way, we're reaching (reached) a situation where a a lot of the "essential" tools to make music these days are worth almost nothing on resale, or, actually, nothing!
I sold my Moog Model D recently for good money, after owning it for a relatively short time. If that had been a Berry D I'd have lost out big time, and got hardly anything for it. We don't buy gear to sell, that's not the main reason, but it has to be taken into account at some point. I paid a lot for my Moog, but I got most of it back, and original gear can appreciate in value, cheap gear just reaches a point where it's either superseded and devalues enormously, or it just becomes worthless. I'm actually giving stuff away now, and even then, there are no takers, it's better to buy new as it's so cheap, and you get a guarantee!
Now people are using apps, and tablets/phones, apps you can't sell, and phones etc have built in obsolescence.
Last edited by Arpangel on Sat Jul 27, 2019 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Post by Sam Spoons »

Purely out of curiosity how much did you buy, and later sell your Moog Model D for?
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Posts: 19701 Joined: Thu Jan 23, 2003 12:00 am Location: Manchester UK
People often mistake me for a grown-up because of my age.

Post by awjoe »

Plus it sounds great. Nobody's said it, only implied it. I watched two videos. I've never played an instrument like it before, one hand keying the notes, the other hand tweaking the sound. Reminded me a bit of those Indian harmoniums where you pump with one hand and play with the other, except this could easily be more fun. I'm a good one-handed player on backing bits. I'd love to play with this.
awjoe
Frequent Poster
I long for the days when I knew what nostalgia was.

Post by Arpangel »

Sam Spoons wrote:Purely out of curiosity how much did you buy, and later sell your Moog Model D for?

I bought it for £3,000and sold it for £2,750, I kept it for 18 months. I got it at a good price, and sold it below what it was worth, I needed the money for my Buchla.
It was basically money sitting there, I got £250 use out of it in my ownership.
Last edited by Arpangel on Sun Jul 28, 2019 7:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Post by Sam Spoons »

I would have been happy with that myself and, I guess, if you'd kept it it would have increased in value too so a good investment.

Arpangel wrote: I sold my Moog Model D recently for good money, after owning it for a relatively short time. If that had been a Berry D I'd have lost out big time, and got hardly anything for it.

But, assuming you had got £250's worth of use out of it (as you did with your Minimoog) you would have only need to sell for £20 to break even :bouncy:
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster

Post by Arpangel »

Sam Spoons wrote:I would have been happy with that myself and, I guess, if you'd kept it it would have increased in value too so a good investment.

Arpangel wrote: I sold my Moog Model D recently for good money, after owning it for a relatively short time. If that had been a Berry D I'd have lost out big time, and got hardly anything for it.

But, assuming you had got £250's worth of use out of it (as you did with your Minimoog) you would have only need to sell for £20 to break even :bouncy:

I've just opened a bank account with Moog Financial Services, they do tend to offer slightly higher returns, over time, of course....

:D
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Post by Sam Spoons »

:bouncy::bouncy::bouncy:
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster

Post by ConcertinaChap »

Arpangel wrote:I sold my Moog Model D recently for good money, after owning it for a relatively short time. If that had been a Berry D I'd have lost out big time, and got hardly anything for it.

What if the existence of reasonably priced clones started to affect the second hand price of the original kit? Has anyone seen any evidence of that?

When the second hand price of kit drops it can be damned annoying, as when Apogee suddenly dropped support for their Ensemble Firewire interfaces and immediately removed hundreds of pounds of value from mine.

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Posts: 12934 Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2005 12:00 am Location: Bradford on Avon
Mr Punch's Studio
Life's a long song
but the tune ends too soon for us all

Post by Dave B »

Given that someone just advertised two mint Roland SH-101s for 2.5k, I'm guessing that the clones are aimed at a different market...
Dave B
Longtime Poster
Posts: 5931 Joined: Thu Apr 03, 2003 12:00 am Location: Maidenhead
Veni, Vidi, Aesculi (I came, I saw, I conkered)

Post by The Elf »

ConcertinaChap wrote:What if the existence of reasonably priced clones started to affect the second hand price of the original kit? Has anyone seen any evidence of that?

I've not only seen it, but I've been part of it. I was offered a decent secondhand monosynth yesterday, but I thought - I could have a Behringer Model D for a fifth of that...
The Elf
Forum Aficionado

Post by Sam Spoons »

Given the relative rarity of true 'vintage' synths I think prices will remain stable, there are always those who covet 'the real thing'.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster

Post by Drew Stephenson »

I think you'll see a clear demarcation between real classics, which will hold their value, and things that people are trying to sell as 'classics' just because it's old.
It's a bit like the counterfeit watch market. No-one buys a Rolex for $20 believing it's a real one, but lots of those people will go on to buy a real one in the future when they can afford it.
Drew Stephenson
Forum Aficionado
Posts: 24577 Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:00 am Location: York
(The forumuser formerly known as Blinddrew)
Ignore the post count, I still have no idea what I'm doing...
https://drewstephenson.bandcamp.com/