Cassette Tapes are back?

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Cassette Tapes are back?

Post by Dynamic Mike »

blinddrew wrote:Yep, sounds about right. Lovely hardware, horrible software.

Exactly. I think it was Sony Magic Gate DRM which according to Wiki was adopted in 2009 that caused all the issues I had. I think the intention was to allow you to copy music once onto another device but not allow another transfer. Not in itself a dreadful idea except it also added DRM protection to the original (and everything else it found & added to the media player library). Fortunately I'd backed pretty much everything up to a portable hard drive so I could restore it.
Dynamic Mike
Frequent Poster
Keeping 2 Chevrons apart

Post by ef37a »

ConcertinaChap wrote:
ef37a wrote:However, even today there is still no other convenient way to record an audio source such as a radio programme or TV sound.

True a few years ago but now very easy. On the Mac I use Audio Hijack Pro, on Windows machines I used to use Audio Grabber. Just go to the programme you want on iPlayer (BBC) or whatever the equivalent is for the specific radio/TV programme, trigger the software and do as you will with the resulting recording.

I still have many cassettes that I made back in the day when it was the only convenient way and I listen to them, but there ain't no way I'm going back to recording on the buggers.

CC

I am obliged CC and I have downloaded Grabber and shall give it a do later. But! Clunky! Clunky! You need a freakin' computer! Not the same as having a recording device permanently hooked up to one's home audio system.

As for not recording on cassette? As I say, my Sony DS machine is very close to CD with TDK SA and PDCclose on a good ferric, even "cooking" grade type ones are ok in the car.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster
Posts: 16547 Joined: Mon May 29, 2006 12:00 am Location: northampton uk

Post by ConcertinaChap »

Erm ... I'm confused. Yes, you need a computer but then you don't need a cassette recorder, and from the fact that you're posting here I suspect you may already have a computer and even internet connectivity!

OK, try this. I have a lot of LPs which I am gradually digitising. To facilitate this I got a 2 in 2 out audio interface and connected it permanently to one of the sets (it has 2) of recording in/outs on my hi fi amplifier. I can then connect my laptop to it by one USB cable and record at a moment's notice straight off the radio or anything else that's connected to my amplifier. And as a bonus I've got my recording in the digital domain and not on a vulnerable cassette to join the untidy clutter of all the other cassettes.

Of course I rarely do this (apart from the LPs, of course) because it's much more convenient just to record on my main computer than either the laptop or the cassette recorder attached to the amplifier ...

CC

PS it's been a long time since any of my cars had a cassette player. OTOH my current car can play MP3s off a memory stick.
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Posts: 12962 Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2005 12:00 am Location: Bradford on Avon
Mr Punch's Studio
Life's a long song
but the tune ends too soon for us all

Post by ef37a »

ConcertinaChap wrote:Erm ... I'm confused. Yes, you need a computer, but then you don't need a cassette recorder, and from the fact that you're posting here I suspect you may already have a computer and even internet connectivity!

OK, try this. I have a lot of LPs which I am gradually digitising. To facilitate this I got a 2 in 2 out audio interface and connected it permanently to one of the sets (it has 2) of recording in/outs on my hi fi amplifier. I can then connect my laptop to it by one USB cable and record at a moment's notice straight off the radio or anything else that's connected to my amplifier. And as a bonus I've got my recording in the digital domain and not on a vulnerable cassette to join the untidy clutter of all the other cassettes.

Of course I rarely do this (apart from the LPs, of course) because it's much more convenient just to record on my main computer than either the laptop or the cassette recorder attached to the amplifier ...

CC

PS it's been a long time since any of my cars had a cassette player. OTOH my current car can play MP3s off a memory stick.

Ok yes but. When my hi fi rig was setup (all fall down, another story, will get back to it one day) I had receiver, turntable and cassette machine all hooked up and could record LPs or radio as I wished. HAD I had a laptop at the time I would not have wanted it tied up for hours (proms say) in real time recording!

I have an old '97 Proton (1800 16 valves, goes like **** off a shovel) and I have just got my 2nd, post 70 license. Not sure I will honestly get one in another 3 years so the Proton will have to do. Very, very reliable.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster
Posts: 16547 Joined: Mon May 29, 2006 12:00 am Location: northampton uk

Post by ConcertinaChap »

Ok yes but. I think I'll stop there. You won't convince me and I clearly won't convince you. Let's just enjoy the music.

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Posts: 12962 Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2005 12:00 am Location: Bradford on Avon
Mr Punch's Studio
Life's a long song
but the tune ends too soon for us all