Behringer UFX-1604 Available for Silly Money!

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Behringer UFX-1604 Available for Silly Money!

Post by Ronnie Wibbley »

Thanks Mike.

I'll invest in a load of bubblewrap for the portable HDD, find a sturdy table, tell the drummer not to bash the kick drum so hard and hope for the best...
Ronnie Wibbley
Regular
Posts: 135 Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2002 12:00 am Location: Stuck behind a tractor.

Post by James Perrett »

Ronnie Wibbley wrote: Is these any technical reason something like, for example, the WD 500 GB My Passport Go Portable wouldn't work in the same way as a portable HD?

Do they have a list of approved drives? I know that Allen and Heath do for their Qu series and I bought a 500GB WD Elements drive specifically because it was on the list when the larger drives weren't as far as I can remember. It worked fine for the particular job that I bought it for and has worked fine for everything else I've tried since (though I've not tried it on a Behringer mixer).
James Perrett
Posts: 14354 Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2001 12:00 am Location: The wilds of Hampshire
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Post by Ronnie Wibbley »

They don't even have a proper manual for it, so I doubt there's a list of approved drives. I'm sure I read somewhere that they recommended using drives with an external power source rather than USB-powered ones, but I can't find where I read it now.
Ronnie Wibbley
Regular

Post by Random Guitarist »

I have used an external SSD successfully. USB sticks in general all seemed to be slow but this one:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07 ... UTF8&psc=1

Works every time for me. It was only £40 when I bought it and there are other USB3 SDDs for more sensible money listed as similar. So long as the listed speeds are in the ballpark should be good.
Last edited by Random Guitarist on Tue Jul 02, 2019 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Random Guitarist
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1028 Joined: Tue Apr 01, 2008 12:00 am Location: West Sussex UK
I've never liked a solo violin, you need at least five for a proper fire.

Post by Ronnie Wibbley »

Yes, can confirm that a cheapy 120 Gb portable SSD works fine for this.
Ronnie Wibbley
Regular