midiman midisport USB interface 4x4 and 2x2 - time to replace?

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

Moderator: Moderators

midiman midisport USB interface 4x4 and 2x2 - time to replace?

Post by thefruitfarmer »

Hello

I have a midiman midisport 4x4 and 2x2, pre 2000.

Will they work under Windows 10?

Their website doesn't list them as products being supported

https://m-audio.com/kb/article/1882

It leads you to this driver,

https://m-audio.com/support/download/drivers/midisport-windows-driver-v6.1.3

which is the one I have been using but it now has stopped working. It did work in Reaper despite showing error messages but since scan computers sent round an engineer to replace the mobo on my new PC Reaper cannot see the two midi interfaces at all. Annoyingly, the input lights show when sending midi out from a synth but the midi goes no further.....

It would appear from searching google that this driver is not going to work for these products under W10.

The workarounds include using the windows midi drivers or a search for "m-audio W10 drivers midiman 4x4" reveals third party drivers....

Is it worth persevering with this?

NOt sure I trust third party drivers....

Maybe I shoud just get a new one? Any recommendations for a good 4x4 MIDI interface?

Thanks
thefruitfarmer
Frequent Poster
Posts: 639 Joined: Wed Sep 01, 2004 12:00 am Location: Kent UK

Re: midiman midisport USB interface 4x4 and 2x2 - time to replace?

Post by Music Wolf »

I'm still using a 2x2 with W10. I'll have to dig around and see what driver I'm using.
Music Wolf
Frequent Poster
Posts: 2755 Joined: Fri Feb 17, 2006 12:00 am Location: Exiled to St Helens

Post by tonemangler »

Hi thefruitfarmer, I don't have an answer for you but the second link in your post shows that the v6.1.3 driver is compatible with Win 10, so technically it should work with your system. I use a midisport 2×2 under Win 7 and my new computer build will be Win 10, so I will be in a similar situation. I hope you can get them working.
tonemangler
Regular
Posts: 190 Joined: Wed Apr 23, 2003 12:00 am Location: Toronto , Canada
"I'm hovering like a fly, waiting for the windshield on the freeway." Peter Gabriel

Post by thefruitfarmer »

tonemangler wrote:Hi thefruitfarmer, I don't have an answer for you but the second link in your post shows that the v6.1.3 driver is compatible with Win 10, so technically it should work with your system. I use a midisport 2×2 under Win 7 and my new computer build will be Win 10, so I will be in a similar situation. I hope you can get them working.

That v6.1.3 driver will only work for the "Anniversary Editions" in W10, not the original midiman interfaces.
thefruitfarmer
Frequent Poster

Post by thefruitfarmer »

Music Wolf wrote:I'm still using a 2x2 with W10. I'll have to dig around and see what driver I'm using.

If you can find me a working driver that would be much appreciated !
thefruitfarmer
Frequent Poster

Post by Music Wolf »

I just checked and my Midiman has stopped working with latest update (although it was working previously with W10). It looks as though I may also be in the market for a new interface.
Music Wolf
Frequent Poster

Post by thefruitfarmer »

Music Wolf wrote:I just checked and my Midiman has stopped working with latest update (although it was working previously with W10). It looks as though I may also be in the market for a new interface.

Mine only stopped working within the last week so it could be a W10 update.
thefruitfarmer
Frequent Poster

Post by tonemangler »

thefruitfarmer wrote:That v6.1.3 driver will only work for the "Anniversary Editions" in W10, not the original midiman interfaces.

That sucks. Out of curiosity did you try uninstalling the midiman driver and trying the generic windows 10 USB driver? The other option is to see if you can pick up an Anniversary Edition from somewhere. They still sell the 2×2 at the local music store here in Toronto for $79 Cdn, or maybe used? I will also be dealing with this issue once my new PC is built, so I would be interested if you find a solution. Good luck!
tonemangler
Regular
Posts: 190 Joined: Wed Apr 23, 2003 12:00 am Location: Toronto , Canada
"I'm hovering like a fly, waiting for the windshield on the freeway." Peter Gabriel

Windows 10 Generic drivers

Post by thefruitfarmer »

tonemangler wrote:
thefruitfarmer wrote:That v6.1.3 driver will only work for the "Anniversary Editions" in W10, not the original midiman interfaces.

That sucks. Out of curiosity did you try uninstalling the midiman driver and trying the generic windows 10 USB driver? The other option is to see if you can pick up an Anniversary Edition from somewhere. They still sell the 2×2 at the local music store here in Toronto for $79 Cdn, or maybe used? I will also be dealing with this issue once my new PC is built, so I would be interested if you find a solution. Good luck!

I have not tried using the W10 generic driver yet but here is the link I found explaining how to do it:

https://getsatisfaction.com/m-audio/topics/midisport-2x2-and-4x4-not-detected-in-windows-10-preview-editions

To be honest I was hoping to find someone who has already done this so I am not walking untrodden ground but I may have a go over the weekend.
thefruitfarmer
Frequent Poster

Re: midiman midisport USB interface 4x4 and 2x2 - time to replace.

Post by thefruitfarmer »

I had a closer look at that thread

https://getsatisfaction.com/m-audio/topics/midisport-2x2-and-4x4-not-detected-in-windows-10-preview-editions

and it seems that the generic W10 drivers won't work with old midiman interfaces.

I have asked the question over there too but I will probably be ordering a new W10 class compliant MIDI interface over the next few days.
thefruitfarmer
Frequent Poster

Post by Music Wolf »

I had been planning to get a new MIDI interface but, last night, I downloaded the W10 drivers for the anniversary edition of the 2x2 and my older, pre-anniversay, 2x2 is now working fine.
Music Wolf
Frequent Poster

Post by scw »

Hi folks
Just thought I'd chime in as I was previously anxious about this. I bought the anniversary midiman in anticipation of needing it.

I updated to Win10 Pro from Win7 today in view of the fact that MS is dropping support early next year. To my surprise my old midiman midisport 2x2 is working absolutely fine. ho hum! I'm pleased anyway and the windows update was painless!!

Stewart
scw
Regular
Posts: 196 Joined: Wed May 22, 2002 12:00 am Location: Scotland

Post by Martin Walker »

scw wrote:I updated to Win10 Pro from Win7 today in view of the fact that MS is dropping support early next year. To my surprise my old midiman midisport 2x2 is working absolutely fine. ho hum! I'm pleased anyway and the windows update was painless!!

That's good news Stewart, although in these circumstances there are no guarantees that a future Windows 10 update won't clobber your good luck :thumbdown:

Fingers crossed that your midisport carries on working perfectly for years to come ;)

Martin
Martin Walker
Posts: 20634 Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:44 am Location: Cornwall, UK

Post by ef37a »

"That's good news Stewart, although in these circumstances there are no guarantees that a future Windows 10 update won't clobber your good luck"

I am sure I read recently Martin that Ms have now made W10 updates optional and "harmless" or was that just a wishful dream?

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster
Posts: 16526 Joined: Mon May 29, 2006 12:00 am Location: northampton uk

Post by Chromeman »

thefruitfarmer wrote:
That v6.1.3 driver will only work for the "Anniversary Editions" in W10, not the original midiman interfaces.

My 2x2 original is working with this driver under W10 without any issues.
Chromeman
Regular

Post by thefruitfarmer »

Chromeman wrote:
thefruitfarmer wrote:

My 2x2 original is working with this driver under W10 without any issues.

That's good to hear. My testing was with the 4x4 rather than the 2x2.
thefruitfarmer
Frequent Poster

Post by Music Wolf »

Have you tried the anniversary driver?

The Midiman website was somewhat vague and initially I read that the 2x2 drivers were only for the anniversary edition but, further down the page it seemed to suggest that they'd also work for the older units. I installed and everything is working ok.
Music Wolf
Frequent Poster

Post by thefruitfarmer »

Music Wolf wrote:Have you tried the anniversary driver?

No, I couldn't find anyone saying they had done it and made it work so I chickened out.

From reading the replies it seemes like the 2x2 will probably work with the anniversary driver but the 4x4 may have issues.
thefruitfarmer
Frequent Poster

Post by cosimo193 »

I've got a 4x4 and get regular BSODs on Windows 10 with mine. I have it attached to an active USB extension, so I guess it's possible that might be making things a bit unhappy, but it worked perfectly for years like that on my old XP machine. I raised the issue here:

https://getsatisfaction.com/m-audio/top ... ows-10-x64

But never got anywhere.

John
cosimo193
New here

Post by ef37a »

cosimo193 wrote:I've got a 4x4 and get regular BSODs on Windows 10 with mine. I have it attached to an active USB extension, so I guess it's possible that might be making things a bit unhappy, but it worked perfectly for years like that on my old XP machine. I raised the issue here:

https://getsatisfaction.com/m-audio/top ... ows-10-x64

But never got anywhere.

John

USB AI's can be picky about extensions. I have never tried an active USB cable but my NI KA6 is only claimed to work up to 3mtrs but it works fine on one brand of a 5mtr cable but not another.
The KA6, unusually for AIs, works fine on a powered hub.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster
Posts: 16526 Joined: Mon May 29, 2006 12:00 am Location: northampton uk