Adding a 3rd Tape Head to (mono) Reel-to-Reel.

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Adding a 3rd Tape Head to (mono) Reel-to-Reel.

Post by Folderol »

This is almost annoying! I've got a faint memory about something on using a separate head for the bias, opposite the record head, rather than mixing it in the signal.
Ha! Got it :bouncy:
Right here
Folderol
Jedi Poster
Posts: 18202 Joined: Sat Nov 15, 2008 12:00 am Location: The Mudway Towns, UK
Yes. I am that Linux nut {apparently now an 'elderly'}
Onwards and... err... sideways!

Post by James Perrett »

Martin Walker wrote: Wow, fascinating stuff Hugh - it's not often that we can retrieve data from the past with greater fidelity than at the time :shock:

There are still people working on ways of improving quality from old tapes. I'm currently testing some Dolby A decoding software that claims to retrieve significantly more detail than the old Dolby hardware. There are a huge number of masters that could possibly be improved by using this software.

And of course we have Jamie Howarth's Plangent Process which claims to eliminate wow and flutter using the bias signal or other continuous tones recorded on the tape as a reference.
James Perrett
Posts: 14371 Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2001 12:00 am Location: The wilds of Hampshire
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Post by Hugh Robjohns »

Yes... I wonder what they'll come up with in the 2060s to improve the reproduction from early digital recordings... :lol:
Hugh Robjohns
Posts: 39013 Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2003 12:00 am Location: Worcestershire, UK
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound...
(But generally posting my own personal views and not necessarily those of SOS, the company or the magazine!)
In my world, things get less strange when I read the manual... 

Post by Elephone »

Hugh Robjohns wrote:Yes... I wonder what they'll come up with in the 2060s to improve the reproduction from early digital recordings... :lol:

...or really early wax recordings! Could AI actually re-imagine them into pristine renditions?
That's another story.
Elephone
Frequent Poster

Post by Elephone »

"Martin Walker" Wow, fascinating stuff Hugh - it's not often that we can retrieve data from the past with greater fidelity than at the time :shock:

Martin

Have you heard what they did with the Robert Johnson recordings? They may have made even further enhancements since then.
Elephone
Frequent Poster

Post by Hugh Robjohns »

I did... and I have some. :-)
Hugh Robjohns
Posts: 39013 Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2003 12:00 am Location: Worcestershire, UK
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound...
(But generally posting my own personal views and not necessarily those of SOS, the company or the magazine!)
In my world, things get less strange when I read the manual... 

Post by Tim Gillett »

Quoting myself here:

Tim Gillett wrote: So I'm not sure that even around 1950 they couldn't make a repro head with narrower gap, so much as they didn't see the need to do so, to go above 15 kHz as the upper frequency limit for playback...

I did a few few quick calculations and cross checked another's figures. https://electronics.stackexchange.com/q ... -tape-head
It seems for a tape repro head to reproduce 20 kHz at cassette speed (1.875ips), its gap length must be 1.2 microns or less. But at 15ips, 8 times faster tape speed, that gap length only needs to be 9.5 microns or less.

In the early to mid 60's, Akai was making tape heads for open reel domestic recording with 1 micron gap lengths. I still have an Akai X-IV portable (Germanium transistors!) which claimed 13 kHz upper freq response at 1.875 ips (cassette tape speed). In the late 1950's, or even earlier, that they couldn't construct a repro head with a gap length of 0.374 thou (9.5 microns),
8 times less critical than what Akai achieved in gap lengths the early to mid 60's seems unlikely.

Tim.
Tim Gillett
Frequent Poster
Posts: 2632 Joined: Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:00 am Location: Perth, Western Australia