Orchestral reverb spacing

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Moderator: Moderators

Orchestral reverb spacing

Post by Gone To Lunch »

Is there any way I can simply pause a signal for a specific no of milliseconds in Digital Performer ?

I am trying to use one reverb for an orchestral piece, but I want to try feeding that reverb from 3 intermediate aux busses, Front, Middle and Back, so I can put the reverb sends from the various instruments into these as appropriate to try and mimic the concert space a little. Thus Strings sent to front, Perc sent to back etc ?
Gone To Lunch
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1111 Joined: Fri Jun 11, 2004 12:00 am Location: London

Re: Orchestral reverb spacing

Post by The Elf »

This is something I do a lot with orchestral arrangements. I'm a Cubase guy, but hopefully the principle applies.

I create a number of effects channels, and into these I place delays set to different time values according to how much pre-delay I want ahead of the reverb. Then I create my reverb effects channel and I use a send from each of the delay channels to feed the reverb channel.

Now all you need to do is send from any source to any of the delay channels and you will pick up that delay that will feed the reverb.
Last edited by The Elf on Thu Sep 26, 2019 3:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The Elf
Forum Aficionado
Posts: 20030 Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2001 12:00 am Location: Sheffield, UK
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Post by Martin Walker »

What a sensible approach Monsieur Elf! :clap:

And although I daresay you use your ears to determine the delays for each project, presumably you could instead calculate the theoretical distances to the audience from each section of the orchestra, so that violins could perhaps be ten feet away (10mS delay) through to the percussion section maybe 20 feet away (20mS delay), and so on.

How many different delay times do YOU typically use in your projects? I would have personally thought no more than four 'depth settings' would really be needed.

Delay time presets could also be created for smaller chamber orchestras through to full on massive spectacular performances with a huge orchestra backed by a vast choir.

Martin
Last edited by Martin Walker on Thu Sep 26, 2019 3:32 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Martin Walker
Posts: 20634 Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:44 am Location: Cornwall, UK

Post by The Elf »

Four delay times is usually plenty to create the depth I'm looking for, but... I typically use more 'feeder' delays, since I am often also playing around with EQ too. I may feed the reverb a darker delay channel from cellos than from violins, for example - or sometimes I just may want to de-emphasise an annoying resonance.

It would be worth adding a mention of wet/dry mix levels here too. I set the reverb for 100% wet, but occasionally I may need a smudge of one of the delays itself (not a 'realistic' effect, but still...). To this end I will often send from a feeder delay pre-fader, then I can use the feeder delay's own fader to creep it in if needed.

A bit of minutiae here, but the OP can ignore it!
Last edited by The Elf on Thu Sep 26, 2019 4:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The Elf
Forum Aficionado

Post by Gone To Lunch »

The Elf wrote:This is something I do a lot with orchestral arrangements. I'm a Cubase guy, but hopefully the principle applies.

I create a number of effects channels, and into these I place delays set to different time values according to how much pre-delay I want ahead of the reverb. Then I create my reverb effects channel and I use a send from each of the delay channels to feed the reverb channel.

Now all you need to do is send from any source to any of the delay channels and you will pick up that delay that will feed the reverb.

This is exactly what I am trying to do, and for the same reasons, so it looks like my problem is that I don't know how to use the Delay plugin in my Digital Performer....
Gone To Lunch
Frequent Poster

Post by Wonks »

Set it 100% wet, set any feedback level/regeneration to 0 and chose a time delay mode where you can enter it in ms. If there are different modes e.g. tape, analog, digital, then select digital. Make sure any modulation or wow and flutter effects are turned off,
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Posts: 17020 Joined: Thu May 29, 2003 12:00 am Location: Reading, UK
Reliably fallible.

Post by The Elf »

I've never used DP, so I can't help, but this is a pretty basic requirement of any DAW.

How are you trying to achieve it, what are the results, and what problem are you hitting?
The Elf
Forum Aficionado

Post by Gone To Lunch »

Thank you Wonks, that was enough for me to grasp how my Delay works in DP.

I have been able to use four auxes with delays of 0, 15, 30 and 45 msec, to space the instruments from front to back, all going in to same reverb

I also have an Aether reverb in which early and late reflections can be switched separately, so I am also trying using just the one LR on the main rev bus, with four ERs set to the same four settings, each on their own aux bus.

Both seem to work ok, but increasingly it seems the problem is really the arrangement itself.
Last edited by Gone To Lunch on Fri Sep 27, 2019 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gone To Lunch
Frequent Poster

Post by Gone To Lunch »

Gone To Lunch wrote:
I have been able to use four auxes with delays of 0, 15, 30 and 45 msec, to space the instruments from front to back, all going in to same reverb

I have subsequently found that delays of 10,15,20,25 sound a whole lot better.

The effect on the orchestral blend is quite remarkable in that it seems to gently increase the separation of the instruments, but without violating the blend.

Fascinating stuff.
Gone To Lunch
Frequent Poster

Post by The Elf »

I typically end up with bigger values than those, but I do it by ear without reading the actual values. The 'front' of my orchestra often ends up in the 80/90ms region.
The Elf
Forum Aficionado

Post by Moroccomoose »

I am trying to achieve a similar thing, but I am using a rompler (Proteus 2000 virtuoso) but I am putting the delay in as a MIDI effect because I am only using a stereo output. I was wondering if I was missing any subtle effect doing it that way?

Basically I have delayed and panned the MIDI to suit the orchestra pit then I send the stereo output of the whole thing to a reverb.

I suppose a 'less instant' way to do it would be to print each individual MIDI instrument to audio then set up the spatial arrangement as Elf describes.

Stu.
Moroccomoose
Regular
Posts: 476 Joined: Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:00 am Location: Leicester

Post by Sam Spoons »

I think the subtle difference comes from the different delays relating to the different distances from the audience each section of the orchestra sits. Violins (at least the front row) maybe 20' closer that the percussion, brass in front of the percussion and woodwind in front of them?
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Posts: 19704 Joined: Thu Jan 23, 2003 12:00 am Location: Manchester UK
People often mistake me for a grown-up because of my age.

Post by Moroccomoose »

Hi Sam,

Yes, I get that is the phenomena trying to be modelled, I was wondering if there was some impact in applying the delay at the MIDI as opposed to applying the delay to the audio subsequently produced by the MIDI.

Out of interest, I am actually using Track delay slider as opposed to a MIDI delay plugin. But this makes it quite difficult to AB the delay impact.

My delay times are more in line with Elfs than the OP's. I put piano and percussion at 125ms with horns at around 70ms. front row strings at zero delay and the second row strings at 40ms (Double basses at 70ms)

Stu.
Moroccomoose
Regular

Post by Sam Spoons »

Sorry, teaching granny to suck eggs there :blush:

I guess it depends whether the delay applied is to the track (audio or midi) or the reverb send (which is what the OP suggested) if the latter it needs to be applied to the audio via a post fade send, simply delaying the track will achieve a different effect.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Posts: 19704 Joined: Thu Jan 23, 2003 12:00 am Location: Manchester UK
People often mistake me for a grown-up because of my age.

Post by Hugh Robjohns »

Moroccomoose wrote:I was wondering if there was some impact in applying the delay at the MIDI as opposed to applying the delay to the audio subsequently produced by the MIDI.

What you're trying to achieve is a difference between the arrival time of the direct sound, and that of the first reverb reflections since that's what defines how close the source sounds and how far from the walls it seems to be!

So the delay has to be inserted between the sound generation and the reverb processor. If the reverb processor is within an instrument and you can control the pre-delay time with MIDI, then great. But just delaying a MIDI instrument isn't going to do what you need to do!
Last edited by Hugh Robjohns on Mon Sep 30, 2019 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hugh Robjohns
Posts: 38985 Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2003 12:00 am Location: Worcestershire, UK
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound...
(But generally posting my own personal views and not necessarily those of SOS, the company or the magazine!)
In my world, things get less strange when I read the manual... 

Post by The Elf »

No - delaying the MIDI is to misunderstand what this is about.

This is not about delaying the sources themselves (though go ahead and try that if you like...); rather it is about delaying the onset of reverb.

Delaying the reverb is about suggesting to the ear that a source is closer, or further away from the initial reflecting surfaces. By reducing the time between source and reverb you place a source closer to the reflecting surfaces, and by increasing the time between source and reverb you place a source further away from those reflecting surfaces.

Since a lot of orchestral reflection comes from the front wall of the hall - which the orchestra is closest to - then by manipulating the onset of reverb you create a rough illusion of a source being closer to, or further away from that wall, and, hence, the 'audience'.

Combined with a bit of EQ (sounds further away will have their highs dampened), then you can achieve a degree of front-to-back illusion.

Hugh and the utensil beat me to it - and I used more words, so they win!
Last edited by The Elf on Mon Sep 30, 2019 10:43 am, edited 5 times in total.
The Elf
Forum Aficionado

Post by Moroccomoose »

There are two things at play here... the relative arrival times of the direct sound and the onset of reverb.

I think my method should work to impart delay on the direct sounds based on their distance from the listener as the rompler will play the instruments with their respective delays. - I thought this would be the significant factor in giving the perception of depth.

The onset of reverb delay is the missing piece to my setup, so I need to have a think about how I can do that. Maybe I can handle within the rompler fx section. this is not ideal as it is not so easy to setup and recall.

Alternatively, I will have to print the midi to audio so I can set up the reverb properly. In which case I would probably set everything up in the audio domain and strip the delays out of the MIDI

I will have a play.

addendum: I think for me this issue is more about handling post rompler fx from a multi-timbral synth with a stereo output.
Last edited by Moroccomoose on Mon Sep 30, 2019 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Moroccomoose
Regular

Post by Hugh Robjohns »

Moroccomoose wrote:I think my method should work to impart delay on the direct sounds based on their distance from the listener as the rompler will play the instruments with their respective delays. - I thought this would be the significant factor in giving the perception of depth.

I think it's more likely to give the impression of an orchestra that can't play in time! :-)

Alternatively, I will have to print the midi to audio so I can set up the reverb properly. In which case I would probably set everything up in the audio domain and strip the delays out of the MIDI

You don't need to 'print the midi to audio', the sources can still be live Midi instruments. You just need to configure the DAW mixer to route the audio from those MIDI instruments to one or more reverb processors via suitable delays to create varying pre-delays.
Hugh Robjohns
(But generally posting my own personal views and not necessarily those of SOS, the company or the magazine!)

Post by Moroccomoose »

You don't need to 'print the midi to audio', the sources can still be live Midi instruments. You just need to configure the DAW mixer to route the audio from those MIDI instruments to one or more reverb processors via suitable delays to create varying pre-delays

There is the rub! The rompler (in my set up) only has stereo out and is playing all of the orchestra instruments. So to affect each section's reverb individually, I would have to print the audio. Alternatively, the rompler has spdif out, sub out 1 and sub out 2 which could be set up as 3 stereo or 6 mono channels. Sending each section to one of the mono channels which in turn is sent to a particular reverb delay channel (Per Elf's setup). Routing the instruments within the proteus virtuoso is a bit tedious!
Moroccomoose
Regular

Post by Hugh Robjohns »

Moroccomoose wrote:There is the rub! The rompler (in my set up) only has stereo out and is playing all of the orchestra instruments.

Ah.. yes... I see the problem! :)
Hugh Robjohns