LeSound Groove Extractor user review by Tommy Zai

Post your own hardware/software reviews.

Moderator: Moderators

LeSound Groove Extractor user review by Tommy Zai

Post by tommyzai »

http://lesound.io/product/grooveextractor/

:clap:

INTRO
Groove Extractor by LeSound miraculously transcribes drum loops into individual general MIDI file instruments: bass drum, snare drum, closed hi hat, open hi hat/cymbals, and toms. Did you ever have a great groove, but wished you could substitute the kick, snare, etc.? Well, you can with this software. Use your “found” loops to get a track going. Translate into MIDI. Tweak as needed. Trigger your own kit. BAM!!

Groove Extractor features an attractive, user-friendly interface with a simple workflow that yields powerful results. The transport is basic, but includes exactly what’s needed . . . no more, no less. In action, users either browse or drag-n-drop an audio file loops (or folder of loops) and allow the software algorithms to do the work under the hood. Within seconds, loops are divided into individual instruments on their own respective MIDI note numbers. Results can be exported, edited (if needed), copied, pasted, and manipulated endlessly into a creative bliss.

• Does it really work? YES!
• Is it perfect every time? NO! But . . .

Some loops are deciphered more accurately than others. It seems to depend on the recording quality, type of kit, and instrument positioning. Clean loops with instruments tonally where they should be = clean transcription. Yet, almost all transcriptions I demoed were useful. Some needed a little editing. Users can help processing accuracy by zeroing-in on the appropriate type of loops, i.e., Electronic, Acoustics, and Trigger (detects onsets). In my limited experience, I’ve noticed that acoustic “real” drum loops translated more accurately than electronic. I have a theory as to why . . . real drums instruments are easier to identify as they have a more distinct timbre and frequency range. Electronic drums, on the other hand, have a wider variety of tone and often share frequencies. For example, many electronic kicks and snares sound fairly similar except for a bit of added resonance or pseudo “snare” quality of the snare. In addition, acoustic drum loops are usually played by humans with human limitations, whereas electronic loops can be super human with no boundaries. However, some acoustic performances are complex with more percussion, and some electronic sequences are more straightforward and minimalistic. So, most of my hypothesis is pointless. LOL. Regardless of drum instrument type and performance, Groove Extractor earns its keep, cutting hours of suffering down to minutes of tweaking (if needed).

FAVORITE FEATURES
• Clean, easy-on-the-eyes GUI
• User-friendly
• Fun to use
• Surprisingly accurate
• Good browser
• Great tool that saves time
• Note/velocity editing
• Tempo estimation
• Forward-thinking, responsive developer
• Good price

FEATURE REQUEST
• Stand-alone version

SUMMARY
I love this software. It’s perfect for my workflow and will certainly help me complete tracks. I will no longer have to spend hours struggling to recreate the vibe of a groove in MIDI form. It does exactly what it claims to do, and the price is right! If my virtual house caught on fire, this is one of the first things I’d save from the blazing inferno. I give Groove Extractor two steady hi-hats up. Check it out! In the meantime, I’ll check out the rest of LeSound’s bundle to see if they are a one hit wonder or . . . much, much more.
tommyzai
Poster
I am Tommy Zai!