Yoshimi Pi

For all other computers and operating systems, including Atari, Linux and mobile apps.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Yoshimi Pi

Post by Martin Walker »

I think this latest progress very nearly qualifies as a production line Will 8-)

Martin
Martin Walker
Posts: 20599 Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:44 am Location: Cornwall, UK

Post by zenguitar »

I wanna see the (as yet unclaimed) Yoshemi Pi modules demonstrated, shown off, and generally craved. When Eddy buys one you have to pay attention, but when he puts in an order for a second you REALLY have to pay attention. I was there at the South West sausage meet where Will demonstrated Yoshimi to Eddy, and the Yoshimi Pi delivers all of that and far more besides.

HEY!!! I'm a guitarist and I couldn't resist. And I've just downloaded and installed the 64bit Korg Virtual Analogue and Virtual Digital on my new MacBook Pro. I LOVE how Will has elevated a great software tool into a plug & play hardware solution.

Bottom line?

You could spend an awful lot more on hardware that offers a fraction of what Yoshimi Pi delivers. And if you are being perfectly honest, a hardware Yoshimi Pi undercuts a whole load of software virtual instruments.

I have no regrets :)

Andy :beamup:
zenguitar
Posts: 12507 Joined: Thu Dec 05, 2002 12:00 am Location: Devon
Is it about a bicycle?

Post by Eddy Deegan »

Will has been very patient, a demo is overdue and I've been a little chaotic but there will be a (fairly meaty) demo of what the Yoshimi-Pi can do emerging later this month.

What with work, various other goings on and the distraction that is the Hydrasynth arriving, the demo has been sitting in a "pending completion" state for a little while but is well in progress.

I'm taking the Yoshimi-Pi to Holland with me, where for the next 2 weeks I will be in completely uninterrupted space with no distractions (other than the usual office hours) during which I'm not just going to finish it, but do a serious attempt at a proper mix as well.

I've been practicing mixing in general, based on a lot of great stuff I learned from Eddie and I think (or should that be "hope"?!) it's going to come out pretty well.

zenguitar wrote: You could spend an awful lot more on hardware that offers a fraction of what Yoshimi Pi delivers. And if you are being perfectly honest, a hardware Yoshimi Pi undercuts a whole load of software virtual instruments.

You've hit the nail on the head there Andy! The Yoshimi-Pi is a fantastic deal considering what you get for the money and if there are any available when the demo comes out I hope it persuades some who have seen these threads but not been swayed, to reconsider :thumbup:

I'm also going to show it to a potential customer in Holland in the form of a mate of mine. He has a musically-inclined son who I think would love it.
Eddy Deegan
Posts: 8736 Joined: Wed Sep 01, 2004 12:00 am Location: Brighton & Hove, UK
Some of my works | The SOS Forum Album projects  

Post by Folderol »

Had a bit of a surprise today. The screens turned up - from China :bouncy:
This presents me with a bit of a problem. They were actually due next week, and with the situation over there I was rather expecting them to be late, so was taking a fairly leisurely approach to building 004 to 007. Currently, the last two power boards are only half built, and none of the boxes have been prepared.

I guess I'd better get a move on :tongue:
Folderol
Jedi Poster
Posts: 18066 Joined: Sat Nov 15, 2008 12:00 am Location: The Mudway Towns, UK
Yes. I am that Linux nut {apparently now an 'elderly'}
Onwards and... err... sideways!

Post by zenguitar »

I'm not in any great rush, so feel free to prioritise the earlier serial numbers.

zenguitar
Is it about a bicycle?

Post by ConcertinaChap »

Folderol wrote:Had a bit of a surprise today. The screens turned up - from China :bouncy:

Nice to know somebody's still alive and working out there.

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Posts: 12865 Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2005 12:00 am Location: Bradford on Avon
Mr Punch's Studio
I don't play music because I think I'm a great musician,
I play because music is great and I want to be part of it.

Post by Rich Hanson »

Get out your antibacterial wipes.

Or a bottle of vodka and a box of tissues.

That last bit sounds rather wrong somehow!
Rich Hanson
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Posts: 3291 Joined: Sat Sep 06, 2003 12:00 am Location: Sort of near Rochester, Kent, UK

Post by Folderol »

Rich Hanson wrote:Get out your antibacterial wipes.

Or a bottle of vodka and a box of tissues.

That last bit sounds rather wrong somehow!

My understanding is that the virus can't survive long outside a host. These were dispatched on the 21st Feb.
Folderol
Jedi Poster

Post by Sam Spoons »

I've seen 12 hours max quoted, will copy the FB post into a new thread in the lounge as I don't know the veracity of the advice but it does make sense at first reading.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Posts: 19592 Joined: Thu Jan 23, 2003 12:00 am Location: Manchester UK
People often mistake me for a grown-up because of my age.

Post by Folderol »

An update:
Power boards for 006 and 007 are now completed and tested. Also all four screens have been checked out and settings adjusted for best clarity. Incidentally, these screens were better packed than the previous ones. They were slightly more expensive, but that's offset by the cheaper boxes.

Talking of which it just the boxes to do now. The worst part is making the cutouts for the USB and Ethernet sockets - very fiddly. For the future, I need to find a way to make this easier. I'm considering the idea of making a single large cutout, then having a thin flat panel inside with the appropriate holes. If it's made out of something like Tufnol. It's not only fairly cheap and easy to work, it's also insulating. It can also be glued in place so I won't have the problem of trying to perfectly match the positioning of the Pi itself and the openings.
Folderol
Jedi Poster

Post by zenguitar »

Excellent work Will.

zenguitar
Is it about a bicycle?

Post by Folderol »

With fewer {cough} distractions {cough} now, I've pushed on with these, so thought a progress report might be in order.

004 is ready for final assembly. It is just waiting for paint to dry. I've done this in copper. I wanted to see how it looks and thought there just might be someone who would like that, either as-is, or as a 'base' finish for steam-punk :bouncy:

005 is complete but not assembled. I'm leaving it unpainted for now until a future owner decides how they want it.

006 is complete with a brass finish and partly assembled - should be done tomorrow.

007 is marked out and a few pilot holes drilled.

For the paint finish I'm cleaning off with meths, then applying a white primer followed by two coats of paint. I did think about putting a lacquer on top, but when testing that on a bit of scrap didn't like the way it seemed to change the texture.

I thought about painting the screen surround as well, and was surprised to see that there were no warranty seals on them. Opening one up was quite easy, and they do seem to be very well made. However, the screen itself is fixed to the surround with a very strong glue, so no dice. I'm not going to try masking the screen itself - if anyone else wants to then that up to them!

A pragmatic decision I've had to make is to not have the 'tine' between the two USB socket assemblies. It was proving to be extremely difficult, as the sockets are not always in exactly the same positions, nor the same height, nor even square to the board :(
Folderol
Jedi Poster