Inspiration and Music Composition

Arrangement, instrumentation, lyric writing, music theory, inspiration… it’s all here.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Inspiration and Music Composition

Post by IAA »

I was listening to Sibelius Karelia Suite at 6am this morning, I saw marching armies, and oppressive 1984 style bureaucracy. Really depressing.

.....which is not what motivated the composer, I hear uplifting and fervent belief, but that’s the nature of art, we rarely all share the same reaction.
IAA
Frequent Poster

Post by Drew Stephenson »

MOF wrote:
Chap I know really likes instrumental music, "It doesn't tell you what to think."
This has made me think about the stuff I write - muting the vocals can be very revealing of when I really haven't made the whole composition/arrangement work as hard as it could.

Do you put in the vocal line as an instrumental top line or do you just listen to the track without vocals?

Just mute the main vocals. I'm not expecting it to grab me like a full song, but it shouldn't bore me.
It doesn't always mean it's wrong of course, sometimes it's all about the words. But it's a good thing to check - for me.
Drew Stephenson
Forum Aficionado
Posts: 24583 Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:00 am Location: York
(The forumuser formerly known as Blinddrew)
Ignore the post count, I still have no idea what I'm doing...
https://drewstephenson.bandcamp.com/

Post by IAA »

doesn't always mean it's wrong of course, sometimes it's all about the words. But it's a good thing to check - for me.

I’ve never written words! When I wrote in a band I did the music and the singer the lyrics. It was interesting, I felt, what words actually ended up over the music, sometimes over passages that I intended to be instrumental! Nowadays I still just do music, although I’m collaborating with a singer who I want to let write lyrics over a short passage. I said to him, this is what the music is intending to convey, write with your voice knowing that. Looking forward to what pops out.
IAA
Frequent Poster

I know what you mean. When we moved from a three piece to a four piece we had to quite heavily rework a lot of the songs to make space for the new content to breathe. There's no point in having a very handy guitarist in the line up if I'm just going to moan over the top of him. :)
But I'm not much of a musician so I need the words to lean on. ;)
Drew Stephenson
Forum Aficionado

Post by Sam Spoons »

Just don't lean on them when they're on that barbed wire fence ;)
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Posts: 19704 Joined: Thu Jan 23, 2003 12:00 am Location: Manchester UK
People often mistake me for a grown-up because of my age.

Now THAT is an in joke! :clap:
Drew Stephenson
Forum Aficionado

Post by CS70 »

IAA wrote:
doesn't always mean it's wrong of course, sometimes it's all about the words. But it's a good thing to check - for me.

I’ve never written words! When I wrote in a band I did the music and the singer the lyrics. It was interesting, I felt, what words actually ended up over the music, sometimes over passages that I intended to be instrumental! Nowadays I still just do music, although I’m collaborating with a singer who I want to let write lyrics over a short passage. I said to him, this is what the music is intending to convey, write with your voice knowing that. Looking forward to what pops out.

Fun. Since I play and sing, I tend to make songs where music and lyrics kind of respond to each other. Learned a lot in the long past when I started playing the blues, and the guitar often responds to the lyrics during the little breaks between sentences.
CS70
Longtime Poster
Posts: 7798 Joined: Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:00 am Location: Oslo, Norway
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page