Equipment for recording neighbour noise

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Equipment for recording neighbour noise

Post by wireman »

I note that at least one council (Wrexham) is suggesting the use of recordings (https://www.wrexham.gov.uk/service/nois ... -complaint) and even a specific smartphone app.
I suspect this is more as part of their complaint process as most councils would visit and attempt calibrated recordings once they get a complaint.
wireman
Frequent Poster

Post by Drew Stephenson »

Irrespective of the microphone, your laptop speakers won't reveal the low frequency noise because they're simply not designed to do so; they will 'roll-off' around 100Hz (or possibly higher). You'll need to listen through headphones to hear the low frequency content.
Drew Stephenson
Forum Aficionado
Posts: 24588 Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:00 am Location: York
(The forumuser formerly known as Blinddrew)
Ignore the post count, I still have no idea what I'm doing...
https://drewstephenson.bandcamp.com/

Post by Tigerhawk »

blinddrew wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 4:42 pm Irrespective of the microphone, your laptop speakers won't reveal the low frequency noise because they're simply not designed to do so; they will 'roll-off' around 100Hz (or possibly higher). You'll need to listen through headphones to hear the low frequency content.

I am not sure if the government branch that focuses on these issues would accept an audio or video recording where it is only audible through headphones. Someone told me they will not accept it.

I did manage to reveal the low frequency noise on my laptop speakers by increasing the gain through an audio recording software called OcenAudio. I increased the bumps of the soundwave which is where the stomps are by 24 decibels. But I fear it would not be accepted because they would call that tampering evidence.

I heard a couple of people suggest an Earthworks Omni-Directional Measurement Microphone could work. If I get it and connect it with an audio interface, use its gain presets and increased it by 24 decibels like what I did with OcenAudio, would I be able to get the low frequency sounds audible on laptop speakers like I did with the OcenAudio?
Tigerhawk

Post by Sam Spoons »

Laptop speakers simply cannot reproduce low frequency sounds, it's a simple matter of Physics, where LF reproduction is concerned size matters* and laptop speakers are far too small. `You need either much bigger speakers or headphones.

* Earbuds can reproduce LF despite having very small drivers only bexcause the acoustically couple to the listeners ear drum. Try taking your earbuds half out and listen to the bass disappear.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Posts: 19704 Joined: Thu Jan 23, 2003 12:00 am Location: Manchester UK
People often mistake me for a grown-up because of my age.

Post by Gone To Lunch »

Hugh Robjohns wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 12:48 pm Has anyone tried mounting a boundary zone mic (PZM) securely on the affected wall (or ceiling)?

The omni capsule should have a good low-frequency response, plus the physical contact might help to capture the transients, whilst also picking the in-room sound to give a sense of the relative levels of in-room speech and external noise.

I've never tried it, and don't know if it would work, but it seems an obvious thing to try and I've not seen any mention of this approach.

I am interested in this question. I have a studiospares sb400 Boundary mic:
https://www.studiospares.com/boundary-m ... 449520.htm

What is the best way to attach it to the ceiling - there is just a thin layer of foam on the flat backplate?
Gone To Lunch
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1111 Joined: Fri Jun 11, 2004 12:00 am Location: London

Post by AnotherPerson »

I've been reading through this and I'd like to thank people for all the suggestions. Unfortunately most apps I use don't really capture the stomping noise in my ceiling. It also doesn't help that my ceiling is pretty tall so I'm trying to figure out a way that I can attach a mic all the way up there. For those who put the mics to their ceiling, how did you do it?
AnotherPerson

Post by Trey803 »

Make sure to run the tracks through a limiter with a 0db ceiling, before you send it to council :)
Trey803
New here

Post by Azzurra »

Hi, I have the same problem. I live in UK, in a flat and all night I can hear a sound from upstairs, like a vibration sound because I cannot record it. In the daytime I asked the neighbours to come but because there are other sounds they say it is not from them . It is constant noise and I literally cannot sleep. What can I do? I want to move but I want to demonstrate also that I am nkt crazy. This sound can start in the middle of the night or at 10pm, can be a dishwasher, a tumbledryer, an aquarium, an ventilator but they say they don't have any of this. It is not every night but when it is can be all night. We had an dish antenna near our wall outside so I had it removed, but the sound was still on...I don't have a clue what can be but they didn't asked me to see in their apartment. It is such a strange sound all over the apartment. Like is in the pipes or the electrical system:((((
Azzurra