The All-New Behringer Keyboards 'n' Stuff Thread

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Moderator: Moderators

The All-New Behringer Keyboards 'n' Stuff Thread

Post by Hugh Robjohns »

Post thoughts on Behringer's keyboards here, please.

The old thread is here: https://www.soundonsound.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=59482&p=663076#p663076
Last edited by Hugh Robjohns on Wed Apr 22, 2020 9:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Hugh Robjohns
Posts: 38984 Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2003 12:00 am Location: Worcestershire, UK
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound...
(But generally posting my own personal views and not necessarily those of SOS, the company or the magazine!)
In my world, things get less strange when I read the manual... 

Re: The All-New Behringer Keyboards 'n' Stuff Thread

Post by Folderol »

Oh no it isn't :lol:
Last edited by Hugh Robjohns on Wed Apr 22, 2020 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Folderol
Jedi Poster
Posts: 18183 Joined: Sat Nov 15, 2008 12:00 am Location: The Mudway Towns, UK
Yes. I am that Linux nut {apparently now an 'elderly'}
Onwards and... err... sideways!

Post by Hugh Robjohns »

Gimme a chance... Working on an old iPad here... Link now copied and inserted! :)
Last edited by Hugh Robjohns on Wed Apr 22, 2020 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hugh Robjohns
(But generally posting my own personal views and not necessarily those of SOS, the company or the magazine!)

Post by muzines »

Hugh Robjohns wrote:Gimme a chance... Working on an old iPad here...

It's annoying when they auto-correct company names, isn't it..? :lol:
muzines
Jedi Poster
..............................mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio  | Legacy Logic Project Conversion

Post by BillB »

Awww, I’m missing the old thread already...
Last edited by Hugh Robjohns on Wed Apr 22, 2020 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BillB
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1915 Joined: Mon Apr 07, 2003 12:00 am Location: East Yorkshire

Post by Hugh Robjohns »

desmond wrote:
Hugh Robjohns wrote:Gimme a chance... Working on an old iPad here...

It's annoying when they auto-correct company names, isn't it..? :lol:

Darnit! Well spotted. :oops:
Hugh Robjohns

Post by ManFromGlass »

Otto Korekt
grrrrrrrr
ManFromGlass
Longtime Poster
Posts: 6672 Joined: Sun Jul 24, 2011 12:00 am Location: O Canada

Post by DGL. »

And here is the Ub-Xa TMS, it's still a way off as they are still working in the firmware, something that has been rather slowed by current events but it's how the final will look as the tooling has now been made. Looking good.

DGL.
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1962 Joined: Fri Oct 28, 2011 12:00 am Location: Portland, Dorset

Post by muzines »

For me, the dimensions feel "off", but I guess the physical stature of the originals is biasing me against it.

This is one where I think it would feel more balanced with 4 octaves *ducks*, largely because of the width of the performance panel and the lack of depth front to back.

Anyway, not really major niggles... :headbang:
muzines
Jedi Poster
..............................mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio  | Legacy Logic Project Conversion

Post by DGL. »

They are now teasing a prototype of their Solina clone, the hardware is done and it's off to Germany to get the firmware done.
I will say what a packed PCB the voice board is.

Personally if only they had copied the string section from the 310U not the straight solina, there is a reason why JMJ had a 310U midified and made road ready rather than just using a solina.
Last edited by Forum Admin on Thu Apr 30, 2020 3:30 pm, edited 3 times in total.
DGL.
Frequent Poster

Post by DGL. »

Just adding a couple of new photos from Behringer's FB of the exterior of the Solina and to say to The Elf, unfortunately they have slimmed down the keyboard a bit from the original and as such have removed 49 of the original's keys.

Last edited by Forum Admin on Thu Apr 30, 2020 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DGL.
Frequent Poster

Post by The Elf »

That Solina module has my name on it. Always fancied one.

Module is perfectly fine with me! :lol:
Last edited by The Elf on Thu Apr 30, 2020 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Elf
Forum Aficionado
Posts: 20028 Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2001 12:00 am Location: Sheffield, UK
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Post by jaminem »

I just bought the TB303 clone. The yellow one.

I'm sorry, I had to, I was a teenager in the 90's and grew up in the west county - lots of free parties techno/acid house clubs.

You cannot argue with £133 for a ton of nostalgia
jaminem
Frequent Poster

Post by Eddy Deegan »

jaminem wrote: You cannot argue with £133 for a ton of nostalgia

Indeed you can't! Enjoy :thumbup:
Eddy Deegan
Posts: 8829 Joined: Wed Sep 01, 2004 12:00 am Location: Brighton & Hove, UK
Some of my works | The SOS Forum Album projects  

Post by Hugh Robjohns »

The Elf wrote:That Solina module has my name on it. Always fancied one.

I owned a real one for a while. Got bored of its rather limited palette when other (modern) keyboards were able to emulate it so well... Sold for positively silly money!
Hugh Robjohns

Post by zenguitar »

Hugh Robjohns wrote: I owned a real one for a while. Got bored of its rather limited palette when other (modern) keyboards were able to emulate it so well... Sold for positively silly money!

To a German guy perhaps? ;)

Andy :beamup:
zenguitar
Posts: 12553 Joined: Thu Dec 05, 2002 12:00 am Location: Devon
Is it about a bicycle?

Post by The Elf »

TBH I've made a bit of a study of some of those old string synths, and I've got most of the ones I like nailed with my current synths. I also have a few of my old pedals, such as Small Stone and Phase 100 still around for those moments of weakness. Line 6 just added the Small Stone to the options in my Helix pedal - and it's close enough for rock'n'roll.

But having something cloned from the original electronics, just sitting there ready to go, is, I feel, going to be too irresistable for me - as long as the sound is there. Based on Behringer's fabulous job (sound-wise - the 3-octave keyboard still pains me) with the VC340 I see no reason that this one shouldn't hit the mark.
The Elf
Forum Aficionado
Posts: 20028 Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2001 12:00 am Location: Sheffield, UK
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Post by DGL. »

The Elf wrote:TBH I've made a bit of a study of some of those old string synths, and I've got most of the ones I like nailed with my current synths. I also have a few of my old pedals, such as Small Stone and Phase 100 still around for those moments of weakness. Line 6 just added the Small Stone to the options in my Helix pedal - and it's close enough for rock'n'roll.

But having something cloned from the original electronics, just sitting there ready to go, is, I feel, going to be too irresistable for me - as long as the sound is there. Based on Behringer's fabulous job (sound-wise - the 3-octave keyboard still pains me) with the VC340 I see no reason that this one shouldn't hit the mark.

Plus it has a built in small stone clone for JMJ type sounds, again I will say a 310U would be nice for real Jarre strings.
DGL.
Frequent Poster

Post by Eddy Deegan »

DGL. wrote: Plus it has a built in small stone clone for JMJ type sounds, again I will say a 310U would be nice for real Jarre strings.

If you want nice string sounds in something of yours then why go for something recognisably associated with someone else? Would it not be preferable to find (or more probably create) a patch you can consider more original?

Unless you're after covering/playing a Jarre track using as similar timbres as possible to the original, that is. In which context I can see the attraction of a string machine as used by the fellow himself!!
Last edited by Eddy Deegan on Thu Apr 30, 2020 8:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Eddy Deegan
Posts: 8829 Joined: Wed Sep 01, 2004 12:00 am Location: Brighton & Hove, UK
Some of my works | The SOS Forum Album projects  

Post by DGL. »

Eddy Deegan wrote:
DGL. wrote: Plus it has a built in small stone clone for JMJ type sounds, again I will say a 310U would be nice for real Jarre strings.

If you want nice string sounds in something of yours then why go for something recognisably associated with someone else? Would it not be preferable to find (or more probably create) a patch you can consider more original?

Unless you're after covering/playing a Jarre track using as similar timbres as possible to the original, that is. In which context I can see the attraction of a string machine as used by the fellow himself!!

It's more that it supposedly sounds a lot better than the solina due to having more ensemble stages, the solina basically being a cut down relative in comparison, remembering that the solina was wholly an Eminent product (design and manufacture) with the ARP branding just being stuck on.

At the end of the day if you are going to clone a companies product you might as well clone the best they made.
DGL.
Frequent Poster