The All-New Behringer Keyboards 'n' Stuff Thread

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: The All-New Behringer Keyboards 'n' Stuff Thread

Post by John Stafford »

Arpangel wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 10:37 am You’re braver than I am, although, I’ve been looking at a Moog Prodigy that popped up recently, can’t make up my mind whether to go for it or not, they have very nostalgic memory’s for me, it would be good to have that back again.

Having an electronics engineer on hand helps!

A Prodigy would be lovely. I'd also like a Micromoog.
John Stafford
Regular
Posts: 156 Joined: Sat Jun 27, 2020 8:51 am Location: Ireland

Post by Arpangel »

John Stafford wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 11:01 am
Arpangel wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 10:37 am You’re braver than I am, although, I’ve been looking at a Moog Prodigy that popped up recently, can’t make up my mind whether to go for it or not, they have very nostalgic memory’s for me, it would be good to have that back again.

Having an electronics engineer on hand helps!

A Prodigy would be lovely. I'd also like a Micromoog.

I think I’m going to get the Prodigy, I’m a bit scared, they say it’s been recently "serviced" :think: it’s in great cosmetic shape, but that doesn’t mean anything.
It’s the "right price" so not a bargain, it has a great sound, and it was one of my first synths, I bought mine new in 1978 from Rod Argents in Denmark Street, great memories.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Post by The Elf »

"Vladimir Kuzmin and Behringer announced today that they have entered into a collaboration to develop a new Polivoks synthesizer."

Not my bag, but someone may be interested.
The Elf
Forum Aficionado
Posts: 20026 Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2001 12:00 am Location: Sheffield, UK
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Post by DGL. »

The Elf wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 2:14 pm "Vladimir Kuzmin and Behringer announced today that they have entered into a collaboration to develop a new Polivoks synthesizer."

Not my bag, but someone may be interested.

And seems to have been initiated from Vladimir contacting Behringer to see if they want to make one rather than Behringer having the idea and contacting him. So hopefully this is one clone people can't complain about!
DGL.
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1962 Joined: Fri Oct 28, 2011 12:00 am Location: Portland, Dorset

Post by N i g e l »

I am unfamiliar with the "Polivoks sound" so I checked out the Jexsus video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-IMpElp0a_Q.

and Retrosound

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_VdZ8il_Hs

:shocked:

Interesting quote from a short 2016 interview -

Would you ever consider bringing the Polivoks back yourself, though?

Russian proverb says: it’s not possible to step in the same water twice.

https://daily.redbullmusicacademy.com/2 ... bCutxFUKT4
N i g e l
Frequent Poster
Posts: 3688 Joined: Sun Aug 12, 2018 2:40 pm Location: British Isles

Post by Drew Stephenson »

As a non-synth person, I find that quite intriguing. But it also doesn't really sound any different to any number of other synths.
N i g e l wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 11:15 pm Interesting quote from a short 2016 interview -

Would you ever consider bringing the Polivoks back yourself, though?

Russian proverb says: it’s not possible to step in the same water twice.

Presumably the full quote finishes with "unless one is paid a sizeable amount of cash"?
;)
Drew Stephenson
Forum Aficionado
Posts: 24573 Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:00 am Location: York
(The forumuser formerly known as Blinddrew)
Ignore the post count, I still have no idea what I'm doing...
https://drewstephenson.bandcamp.com/

Post by DGL. »

SH-5 (MS-5) anyone?, in a Poly D/Mono/Poly style case,

Behringer FB wrote:What would you think if we made an MS-5 synth?

DGL.
Frequent Poster

Post by t-sun »

Behringer's parts-bin engineering gave me a thought, did the Yamaha CS series all use the same basic VCO and VCF design, from the monosynths to the big polysynths?

Because my first monosynth was a CS-15 and I have very fond memories of it, and no other synth of the time sounded as smooth or as stable. I always assumed it was because Yamaha designed their own components internally rather than using off-the-shelf components like pretty much everyone else. I've never played a Yamaha poly though, and never heard a sound comparison between the monos and the polys.
t-sun
Regular

Post by Arpangel »

DGL. wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 8:19 am SH-5 (MS-5) anyone?, in a Poly D/Mono/Poly style case,

Behringer FB wrote:What would you think if we made an MS-5 synth?

I’ll buy one if you keep the name "Synthesizer"
That has to be so cool.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Post by nathanscribe »

t-sun wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 10:23 pm Behringer's parts-bin engineering gave me a thought, did the Yamaha CS series all use the same basic VCO and VCF design, from the monosynths to the big polysynths?

Because my first monosynth was a CS-15 and I have very fond memories of it, and no other synth of the time sounded as smooth or as stable. I always assumed it was because Yamaha designed their own components internally rather than using off-the-shelf components like pretty much everyone else. I've never played a Yamaha poly though, and never heard a sound comparison between the monos and the polys.

Yamaha designed and manufactured their own chips – VCO, VCF, VCA, keyboard scanners, all the usual suspects – and used these in all their CS synths, mono and poly. There are differences in what's around them, so the circuits do vary from model to model, but the core operations are mostly carried out by the same pieces.

I've had a few CS synths – 01, 5, 10, 15, 40m – but never had the opportunity to play one alongside a big poly to find out how they compare either.
nathanscribe
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1483 Joined: Fri Jan 19, 2007 12:00 am Location: Wakefield, for my sins.
I have no idea what I'm doing.

Post by DGL. »

A couple of potential new things from Behringer,

Potentially a Bode Frequency Shifter for the Moog system, quite complicated so would be ~$199, only a render so far.

And secondly a Pearl Syncussion clone in a Wasp/Model D/Neutron/CAT style case, looks like a real prototype exists.

DGL.
Frequent Poster

Post by Arpangel »

DGL. wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 8:40 pm A couple of potential new things from Behringer,

Potentially a Bode Frequency Shifter for the Moog system, quite complicated so would be ~$199, only a render so far.

And secondly a Pearl Syncussion clone in a Wasp/Model D/Neutron/CAT style case, looks like a real prototype exists.

Im beginning to wonder about you DGL, have you put spyware on my tablet? :D
Just yesterday, I was looking at available Bode shifters, very few, and very expensive, then I thought "I wonder if Behringer has one in their Moog range?" And then I find this.
Yet again, sold.

:beamup:
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Post by DGL. »

Arpangel wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 7:52 am

Just yesterday, I was looking at available Bode shifters, very few, and very expensive, then I thought "I wonder if Behringer has one in their Moog range?" And then I find this.
Yet again, sold.

Well if you don't want me to tell everyone about those naughty websites you have been visiting...

Who would have thought, though, when Behringer went into synths they would be probably the largest manufacturer of them within a few years. I count 22 products if you count the 2500/100/Moog modules as one range, including all the colour options and different modules Thomann has 105 Behringer synth products, looking also in the Thomann synth category for what is sold by the big three, Behringer has more synth products than all of them combined!
DGL.
Frequent Poster

Post by Arpangel »

DGL. wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 9:12 am

Yet again, sold.

Well if you don't want me to tell everyone about those naughty websites you have been visiting...

Who would have thought, though, when Behringer went into synths they would be probably the largest manufacturer of them within a few years. I count 22 products if you count the 2500/100/Moog modules as one range, including all the colour options and different modules Thomann has 105 Behringer synth products, looking also in the Thomann synth category for what is sold by the big three, Behringer has more synth products than all of them combined!

Naughty websites? like Modular Grid.

:):geek:
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Post by DGL. »

Arpangel wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 5:48 pm
DGL. wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 9:12 am

Yet again, sold.

Naughty websites? like Modular Grid.

:):geek:

Well if you have another half most probably :lol:

"YOU SPENT HOW MUCH!?!? ON THAT PIDDLY THING! AND YOU WANT MORE?!?!?"
DGL.
Frequent Poster

Post by Arpangel »

DGL. wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 8:41 pm
Well if you have another half most probably :lol:

"YOU SPENT HOW MUCH!?!? ON THAT PIDDLY THING! AND YOU WANT MORE?!?!?"

I have more Behringer modules being delivered today, and tomorrow, it’s got to the point now where I need yet another case, which will take me up to 21U of 84HP.
My partner doesn’t really mind, we joke about it, but maybe I tell the odd white lie about what’s inside boxes.
But musically, it’s great, it’s all working out well, it’s a much more successful incarnation than my previous excursion into modular, I’m more experienced now, regarding the realities of what certain modules can do for me, and the more the merrier, for the music I’m making now, it’s like having my own Amazonian rain forest in a box, or a humongous refinery or steel plant, regarding sounds that I make with it, beauty and the beast, a great contrast.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Post by t-sun »

I've noticed that none of the american stores have the RD-9 in stock and don't seem to have any idea when it will come in (only estimate I've seen is actually for next January, from the UK based gear4music). Seems like the claim that it was shipping was premature, anyone have any insight as to the cause of the delay? I'm wondering if it's more a lack of shipping availability or if it's materials/chip production related.

I've been hemming and hawing over a Modal Skulpt SE but didn't want to spend the money if the RD-9 finally comes into stock and then sells out immediately. Sweetwater will set one aside for me but they say they have no idea what the cause of the delay is and can't give any timeframe.
t-sun
Regular

Post by Eddy Deegan »

t-sun wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 1:50 am I've been hemming and hawing over a Modal Skulpt SE but didn't want to spend the money if the RD-9 finally comes into stock ...

I'd ask yourself what it is you actually want do to with whatever you end up buying.

If only a 909 will do then definitely fill your boots, pre-order one and wait for it. I've done exactly that for a number of synths I know I wanted over the years.

If there are other solutions that could meet the requirement and are more immediately obtainable then I'd go with them in a heartbeat.

When all is said and done if you have a need (and the budget) then fill it with the first acceptable offering you encounter that can meet the requirements.

The driver is the musical need, not a particular vendor.

Gearlust, on the other hand, is a particularly personal perspective and a quest with which no external counsel can assist with in any meaningful sense :)
Eddy Deegan
Posts: 8820 Joined: Wed Sep 01, 2004 12:00 am Location: Brighton & Hove, UK
Some of my works | The SOS Forum Album projects  

Post by Eddy Deegan »

It looks as if Auratone has successfully held off an attempt by Behringer to take ownership of their trademark in the US:

https://cdm.link/2021/07/family-owned-a ... nger-case/
Eddy Deegan
Posts: 8820 Joined: Wed Sep 01, 2004 12:00 am Location: Brighton & Hove, UK
Some of my works | The SOS Forum Album projects  

Post by Ben Asaro »

Eddy Deegan wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 4:15 pm It looks as if Auratone has successfully held off an attempt by Behringer to take ownership of their trademark in the US:

https://cdm.link/2021/07/family-owned-a ... nger-case/

Sigh. Everything I learn about Behringer just fills me with more disdain for them.
Ben Asaro
Frequent Poster
Posts: 2364 Joined: Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:00 am Location: NYC