The All-New Behringer Keyboards 'n' Stuff Thread

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: The All-New Behringer Keyboards 'n' Stuff Thread

Post by Arpangel »

N i g e l wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 11:23 pm Brains review.
Starts with a ramble through a tree swamp, which sets the tone for the rather talky video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-j7vR3zQno

I’ve got a lot of Berry stuff, modules especially, but this really is too close to the knuckle for me, plus, it looks tacky, really tacky, the whole thing is like some sort of a morality test for buyers.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Post by Dan LB »

Arpangel wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 7:33 am this really is too close to the knuckle for me, plus, it looks tacky, really tacky, the whole thing is like some sort of a morality test for buyers.

The following is a list of manufacturers I could find who make a clone of Mutable Instruments ’Plaits’:

Michigan Synth Works
CalSynth
After Later Audio
Warped Circuits
Antumbra
Tall Dog
ST Modular
Blue Lantern Modules
Oscillosaurus
Codex Modulex
Tunefish Modular

And now….. Behringer

Why is it only a problem that Behringer are making a clone?
Plaits is open source and available to anyone that wants to recreate / modify it.

My stance regarding their business practices has changed somewhat over the last few weeks. I used to hate the idea of them blatantly ripping off other people’s designs but I’ve realised that this sort of cloning is happening all over the industry and it’s not entirely fair that Behringer are the only ones taking any flak for it IMO.

Warm Audio, Black Lion Audio, Golden Age Project, Heritage Audio, BAE,
WES Audio, Summit Audio, Tube-Tech and loads more are making clones of gear that is still currently for sale by the original manufacturers. No problem there though… a lot of them even advertise in the pages of SOS.

I wonder if MusicTribe had branded the 1176 clone as Behringer rather than KT would there have been more outrage?

Loads of plugin manufacturers are cloning, or maybe more accurately emulating, but still using familiar GUI layouts that are unmistakable.

A company called Cyclone Analogic have been making clones of old Roland gear (TB303 and TR606) for years. Creamware and Studio Electronics made Minimoog clones. The list is endless.

It’s rampant, mostly legal as far as I can tell and it’s not just Behringer doing it.
Dan LB
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1668 Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 12:00 am Location: Wicklow, Ireland

Post by Arpangel »

Dan LB wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 9:07 pm The following is a list of manufacturers I could find who make a clone of Mutable Instruments ’Plaits’:

Michigan Synth Works
CalSynth
After Later Audio
Warped Circuits
Antumbra
Tall Dog
ST Modular
Blue Lantern Modules
Oscillosaurus
Codex Modulex
Tunefish Modular

That’s true, you’ve got a point there, I suppose it’s got a lot to do with the tacky appearance, AFAIC, it just doesn’t look classy at all.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Post by Dan LB »

Arpangel wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 8:13 am it just doesn’t look classy at all.

Agreed! It looks terrible :lol:
Dan LB
Frequent Poster

Post by Folderol »

Personally, provided a piece of kit does what I want, the crappier it looks the better as far as I'm concerned.
Firstly there's less likelihood of someone wanting to nick it, and secondly I love the look on peoples faces going from disdain to astonishment when they hear the results :lol:
Folderol
Jedi Poster
Posts: 18065 Joined: Sat Nov 15, 2008 12:00 am Location: The Mudway Towns, UK
Yes. I am that Linux nut {apparently now an 'elderly'}
Onwards and... err... sideways!

Post by Ben Asaro »

Dan LB wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 9:07 pm The following is a list of manufacturers I could find who make a clone of Mutable Instruments ’Plaits’:

... with the notable exception that MI's code is open source, so what you're comparing is effectively apples and oranges.

Behringer's overall business strategy is entirely reprehensible to me, but I feel that horse has been beaten to death here and anyone posting regularly in this thread ultimately doesn't care and isn't about to change their minds if what has happened thus far with Behringer hasn't done so already.
Ben Asaro
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Posts: 2357 Joined: Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:00 am Location: NYC

Post by Dan LB »

Ben Asaro wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 2:32 pm
... with the notable exception that MI's code is open source, so what you're comparing is effectively apples and oranges.

Ah right. Yes that makes sense. So is the open source nature of the code just to allow people to modify it for use with MI’s hardware only?
Dan LB
Frequent Poster

Post by Ben Asaro »

Nope, the designer made it open so whoever wants to use the code, can.
Ben Asaro
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Posts: 2357 Joined: Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:00 am Location: NYC

Post by Dan LB »

Ok Ben, I think either I have misunderstood you or vice versa. :)
I mentioned in my first post that Plaits is open source. What is it about my comparison that makes it apples to oranges? Genuinely confused :headbang:
Dan LB
Frequent Poster

Post by t-sun »

Looks like the RD-9 may not actually arrive this year at all at this point, there's been another delay. Didn't they post pictures of boxes of the things a few months ago? I wonder if they're sitting on a container ship that can't be unloaded because of the backlog.
t-sun
Regular

Post by Eddy Deegan »

When it comes to music tech hardware, you're not alone. I pre-ordered a newly announced synth more than 2 months ago, as soon as it became possible to do so. Originally delivery was expected at some point in the last week but subsequent to an update from the supplier-to-my-vendor it's now been pushed back to mid November.

Disappointing but there are more important things in life to worry about and in a year or two I'll hardly remember the delay occurred at all :angel:
Eddy Deegan
Posts: 8736 Joined: Wed Sep 01, 2004 12:00 am Location: Brighton & Hove, UK
Some of my works | The SOS Forum Album projects  

Post by The Elf »

I suspect Eddy and me are on the same waiting list for one device! ;)

I've also been waiting for another two pre-orders, one for at least 18 months (I've forgotten when I made the order TBH!), the other for six months-ish. It's a strange world we now live in.

But I can live with it. When they arrive they'll be nice surprises. :lol:
The Elf
Jedi Poster
Posts: 19938 Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2001 12:00 am Location: Sheffield, UK
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.