The All-New Behringer Keyboards 'n' Stuff Thread

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: The All-New Behringer Keyboards 'n' Stuff Thread

Post by N i g e l »

A watched kettle never boils !

[also Schrödinger's Berhinger - if you dont look, they may be working on it & imminent release is an option]

Have you googled bcr2000 faults and fixes repairs ? Might be quicker given current supply chain issues and dev lab jobs not being working from home compatible.

ZAQ audio have some hints for one of the BCR2000 issues -

https://zaqaudio.com/forums/topic/ot-bc ... ware-issue
N i g e l
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Posts: 3663 Joined: Sun Aug 12, 2018 2:40 pm Location: British Isles

Post by t-sun »

I finally managed to get my hands on an RD-9. Initial impressions have been that the build quality is, naturally, similar to the RD-8: Solid, looks great, knobs are frustratingly slow to turn though so doing those snappy Jeff Mills style mixing knob twiddles feels a bit like it's stuck in treacle. I expected that since the RD-8 is the same, and not a problem. It arrived with the most recent firmware installed.

The RD-9 Synthtool interface is how you dump/load patterns and make other changes (enhanced vs authentic, which btw I definitely prefer authentic at this point). It seems pretty useful. I would probably be used to it by now if it weren't apparently impossible to update the firmware on my RD-8 past 1.3.5

Speaking of which, I pulled out the RD-8 to see if I could find a way to update the firmware again. Nope, files still aren't on the Behringer website and it's still not detected by Synthtool. Now I remember why I set it aside months ago out of frustration.
t-sun
Regular

Post by The Elf »

I've had similar 'can't find it' situations from my studio PC, but plogging exclusively into my laptop everything worked fine. It could be worth trying different USB ports/hugs and/or borrowing a laptop to effect the update.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
Posts: 19938 Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2001 12:00 am Location: Sheffield, UK
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Post by Drew Stephenson »

N i g e l wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 11:07 pm Have you googled bcr2000 faults and fixes repairs ? Might be quicker given current supply chain issues and dev lab jobs not being working from home compatible.

ZAQ audio have some hints for one of the BCR2000 issues -

https://zaqaudio.com/forums/topic/ot-bc ... ware-issue

Yeah, I've had a look around on a few occasions. I think it's the power supply on this unit. Generally once its warmed up its ok, but it still throws a hissy fit every now and then, sometimes that causes the PC to do the same.
Drew Stephenson
Jedi Poster
Posts: 24450 Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:00 am Location: York
(The forumuser formerly known as Blinddrew)
Ignore the post count, I still have no idea what I'm doing...
https://drewstephenson.bandcamp.com/

Post by N i g e l »

I see what your up against, in that the PSU has a funny transformer indicating a switcher PSU without clearly defined safe areas [mains / low volts sides of olde transformer PSU]. Some areas may be working at d.c. voltages higher than mains, which could be shocking :shocked:

N i g e l
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Posts: 3663 Joined: Sun Aug 12, 2018 2:40 pm Location: British Isles

Post by t-sun »

The Elf wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 7:10 am I've had similar 'can't find it' situations from my studio PC, but plogging exclusively into my laptop everything worked fine. It could be worth trying different USB ports/hugs and/or borrowing a laptop to effect the update.

Oh it's not that it can't find the RD-8, it's that the 1.X firmware for the RD-8 doesn't communicate with Synthtool, it predates it. Compatibility was added in the 2.02 update, but in order to update to that I need a later firmware than the 1.3.5 which is on their site. 1.4.? I think.
t-sun
Regular

Post by Drew Stephenson »

N i g e l wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 7:28 pm I see what your up against, in that the PSU has a funny transformer indicating a switcher PSU without clearly defined safe areas [mains / low volts sides of olde transformer PSU]. Some areas may be working at d.c. voltages higher than mains, which could be shocking :shocked:

Other than very simple stuff (switches, fuses etc.) I stay clear of any mains electricity. Not in my skill set! :)
Drew Stephenson
Jedi Poster
Posts: 24450 Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:00 am Location: York
(The forumuser formerly known as Blinddrew)
Ignore the post count, I still have no idea what I'm doing...
https://drewstephenson.bandcamp.com/

Post by nathanscribe »

t-sun wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 7:51 pm
The Elf wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 7:10 am I've had similar 'can't find it' situations from my studio PC, but plogging exclusively into my laptop everything worked fine. It could be worth trying different USB ports/hugs and/or borrowing a laptop to effect the update.

Oh it's not that it can't find the RD-8, it's that the 1.X firmware for the RD-8 doesn't communicate with Synthtool, it predates it. Compatibility was added in the 2.02 update, but in order to update to that I need a later firmware than the 1.3.5 which is on their site. 1.4.? I think.

I updated my RD-8 to the latest 2.x version straight from 1.2 or whatever it was, the one it shipped with from the very start. No trouble at all. You don't need to update to some intermediate stage, from what I remember. I'd read a few negative reports but I found it quick and painless, against expectation.
nathanscribe
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1482 Joined: Fri Jan 19, 2007 12:00 am Location: Wakefield, for my sins.
I have no idea what I'm doing.

Post by t-sun »

nathanscribe wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 2:47 pm
t-sun wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 7:51 pm

I updated my RD-8 to the latest 2.x version straight from 1.2 or whatever it was, the one it shipped with from the very start. No trouble at all. You don't need to update to some intermediate stage, from what I remember. I'd read a few negative reports but I found it quick and painless, against expectation.

I’ve tried multiple cables, multiple computers, different versions of windows. Synthtool does not work with anything under 2.0 and there is no direct path to update from the version 1.3.5 on the RD-8 page to any version of 2.

If you still have the rd-8 update tool version you used to update it, it would be a huge help if you uploaded it somewhere.

EDIT TO ADD: this file https://mediadl.musictribe.com/media/PL ... _Rev.A.pdf indicates that it should be possible, but only if the RD-8 has had a failed update? Again, it currently runs the 1.3.5 version without issue but is not detected by Synthtool on any computer in any mode, using the same USB cable that has been used to load 1.3.5 repeatedly.
t-sun
Regular

Post by nathanscribe »

t-sun wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 7:10 pmIf you still have the rd-8 update tool version you used to update it, it would be a huge help if you uploaded it somewhere.

I don't remember the process tbh, but I think it might have been the Synthtribe app, the most recent version of which is on their RD-8 page. It's been a few months and I don't recall the details. But I definitely updated it from the original early factory OS which I'd had on my machine since getting it new when they first came out.
nathanscribe
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1482 Joined: Fri Jan 19, 2007 12:00 am Location: Wakefield, for my sins.
I have no idea what I'm doing.

Post by DGL. »

If anyone wants a RD-9 Andertons have them in stock for the time being, I convinced myself to get one for some reason, probably just because I think the RD-8 needs a companion more than anything :lol:
DGL.
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1950 Joined: Fri Oct 28, 2011 12:00 am Location: Portland, Dorset

Post by Arpangel »

Where’s this VCS3? I’ve got the 2500, 2600, after much deliberation, so look forward to my user report in 2025 based on my cautious purchasing habits.

:D
Arpangel
Jedi Poster