The All-New Behringer Keyboards 'n' Stuff Thread

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: The All-New Behringer Keyboards 'n' Stuff Thread

Post by BigRedX »

Which is why I have stopped buying things that aren't actually in stock and ready send out or for me to take home.

At the moment if I'm in the market for something it's because I need it NOW. If it's not available now, it doesn't matter how potentially brilliant it is likely to be I'll have to look for an alternative that is available now even if it might not be quite so good.

I'll consider "upgrading" when the item I originally want is finally available to buy but by that time I may have become too used to the item I originally bought to be bother to change it (or I might have discovered things on it that suit me perfectly and have no desire to change anyway).
BigRedX
Frequent Poster
RockinRollin' VampireMan

Post by Eddy Deegan »

The Elf wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 7:26 pm I suspect Eddy and me are on the same waiting list for one device! ;)

I have a hunch you're right ;-)

Ahh well, at least there are other things to play with weil weiling away the time!
Eddy Deegan
Posts: 8808 Joined: Wed Sep 01, 2004 12:00 am Location: Brighton & Hove, UK
Some of my works | The SOS Forum Album projects  

Post by Red Noise »

Is it just me, or do the bosses of Behringer do a lot of promise-y stuff, about future products ?

I swear I saw a Facebook post about their proposed design of a CR78 clone a few years ago, which never came to pass.

Anyway, Behringer products are low cost and often poor build quality, imho.
Red Noise
New here

Post by The Elf »

Red Noise wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 10:54 am Anyway, Behringer products are low cost and often poor build quality, imho.

Often, but not always - and in recent times, not even so often.

Try the X range of mixers (largely based on Midas technolgy), or the VC-340, which is very well built.

I'm no Behringer-phile, but credit where it is due - they make some decent stuff nowadays.
The Elf
Forum Aficionado
Posts: 20016 Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2001 12:00 am Location: Sheffield, UK
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Post by t-sun »

I remember the CR-78 clone, I also remember wondering why on earth they'd bother. The sound was only slightly different from the 808 and since they're doing a V2 of that with their new chip I assume they realized there was no point in a CR-78 clone.

Behringer has definitely got a problem with announcing new products way too early with huge lead times to production, much less shipping. I've had my preorder for the RD-9 in since March, and at this point I'm not expecting to get it until next year. Sure, there is a massive global shipping crisis right now, but it wouldn't feel like that big of a delay if I hadn't been waiting on it for literally years now already.

As far as the build quality goes, I have the MS-1, TB-3, Wasp, Pro-1 and RD-8 and have zero complaints about any of them, particularly the metal cases on the last three. Having owned an SH-101, the MS-1 is definitely more solid, as you'd hope a modern build would be. Only problem I've had is that Berhinger removed an RD-8 firmware update from their site that is required to apply the later updates, and I haven't been able to find it so I think mine is stuck on 1.37 or something for the time being.
t-sun
Regular

Post by The Elf »

t-sun wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 8:35 pm I remember the CR-78 clone, I also remember wondering why on earth they'd bother. The sound was only slightly different from the 808...

The CR-78 sounds nothing like the 808! Listen to any of the sounds - they're very different. And the CR-78's quirky guiro, metal and gorgeous tambourine - not on the 808!

I have a TR-8S and the sounds I miss most from it are the CR-78, so I've added my own samples. I really wish that Roland had seen fit to add the CR-78 as modelled sounds to the TR-8/TR-8S. Yet they chose to give us the tiresome TR-707/727... sigh. :frown::headbang:
The Elf
Forum Aficionado

Post by t-sun »

Ah, I forgot about the missing sounds. The basic kit is very similar if a bit softer and smoother on the 78 as I recall. It's been many years since I had a chance to play with a CR series machine and my abiding memory was that it sounded more organ-top-accompaniment-machine-oriented than the more up-front 808, but definitely similar sound generation. Also, extremely oblique programming, particularly in comparison with the X0X style. I'm fine with Behringer cloning old machines, but if it means keeping the negatives like that I'll pass.

And the 707 was just incredibly flat. Not as flat as the 505 but, still. Back fifteen years ago when I was thoroughly broke but wanted a drum machine with that Roland programming method and a trigger output, I had one. I think I sold it and bought a 626 at half the price :lol:
t-sun
Regular

Post by Arpangel »

t-sun wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 1:54 am I'm fine with Behringer cloning old machines, but if it means keeping the negatives like that I'll pass.

After going to great lengths to get the ARP 2500 modules, I know what you mean.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Post by N i g e l »

my abiding memory was that it sounded more organ-top-accompaniment-machine-oriented than the more up-front 808

:lol: yeah, when I think CR78 I think Phil Collins or Genesis/duke, where it provides the appropriate sounds for the task in hand.
N i g e l
Frequent Poster
Posts: 3685 Joined: Sun Aug 12, 2018 2:40 pm Location: British Isles

Post by BillB »

Yes - I think Phil chose that sound because it was musically/percussively interesting, but mostly because it presented such an interesting contrast to his explosive physical drumming (as per the so-famous-its-a-cliche intro to 'In the Air' etc)
BillB
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1915 Joined: Mon Apr 07, 2003 12:00 am Location: East Yorkshire

Post by BigRedX »

BillB wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 12:26 pm Yes - I think Phil chose that sound because it was musically/percussively interesting, but mostly because it presented such an interesting contrast to his explosive physical drumming (as per the so-famous-its-a-cliche intro to 'In the Air' etc)

I can most definitely relate to that. Having spent most of the 80s trying to make my various drum machines (Boss Dr Rhythm, Roland TR808, Yamaha RX11) sound like real drums, when I finally got something that was reasonably close (Alesis HR16) I joined a band with an actual drummer with a traditional drum kit and then spent all my programming time trying to make it produce sufficiently contrasty sounds!
BigRedX
Frequent Poster
RockinRollin' VampireMan

Post by Drew Stephenson »

I don't suppose anyone has heard anymore about the BCR32?
My bcr2000 starts playing up in the cold weather and messes up the pc sometimes.
Drew Stephenson
Forum Aficionado
Posts: 24547 Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:00 am Location: York
(The forumuser formerly known as Blinddrew)
Ignore the post count, I still have no idea what I'm doing...
https://drewstephenson.bandcamp.com/

Post by N i g e l »

A watched kettle never boils !

[also Schrödinger's Berhinger - if you dont look, they may be working on it & imminent release is an option]

Have you googled bcr2000 faults and fixes repairs ? Might be quicker given current supply chain issues and dev lab jobs not being working from home compatible.

ZAQ audio have some hints for one of the BCR2000 issues -

https://zaqaudio.com/forums/topic/ot-bc ... ware-issue
N i g e l
Frequent Poster

Post by t-sun »

I finally managed to get my hands on an RD-9. Initial impressions have been that the build quality is, naturally, similar to the RD-8: Solid, looks great, knobs are frustratingly slow to turn though so doing those snappy Jeff Mills style mixing knob twiddles feels a bit like it's stuck in treacle. I expected that since the RD-8 is the same, and not a problem. It arrived with the most recent firmware installed.

The RD-9 Synthtool interface is how you dump/load patterns and make other changes (enhanced vs authentic, which btw I definitely prefer authentic at this point). It seems pretty useful. I would probably be used to it by now if it weren't apparently impossible to update the firmware on my RD-8 past 1.3.5

Speaking of which, I pulled out the RD-8 to see if I could find a way to update the firmware again. Nope, files still aren't on the Behringer website and it's still not detected by Synthtool. Now I remember why I set it aside months ago out of frustration.
t-sun
Regular

Post by The Elf »

I've had similar 'can't find it' situations from my studio PC, but plogging exclusively into my laptop everything worked fine. It could be worth trying different USB ports/hugs and/or borrowing a laptop to effect the update.
The Elf
Forum Aficionado

N i g e l wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 11:07 pm Have you googled bcr2000 faults and fixes repairs ? Might be quicker given current supply chain issues and dev lab jobs not being working from home compatible.

ZAQ audio have some hints for one of the BCR2000 issues -

https://zaqaudio.com/forums/topic/ot-bc ... ware-issue

Yeah, I've had a look around on a few occasions. I think it's the power supply on this unit. Generally once its warmed up its ok, but it still throws a hissy fit every now and then, sometimes that causes the PC to do the same.
Drew Stephenson
Forum Aficionado

Post by N i g e l »

I see what your up against, in that the PSU has a funny transformer indicating a switcher PSU without clearly defined safe areas [mains / low volts sides of olde transformer PSU]. Some areas may be working at d.c. voltages higher than mains, which could be shocking :shocked:

N i g e l
Frequent Poster

Post by t-sun »

The Elf wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 7:10 am I've had similar 'can't find it' situations from my studio PC, but plogging exclusively into my laptop everything worked fine. It could be worth trying different USB ports/hugs and/or borrowing a laptop to effect the update.

Oh it's not that it can't find the RD-8, it's that the 1.X firmware for the RD-8 doesn't communicate with Synthtool, it predates it. Compatibility was added in the 2.02 update, but in order to update to that I need a later firmware than the 1.3.5 which is on their site. 1.4.? I think.
t-sun
Regular

N i g e l wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 7:28 pm I see what your up against, in that the PSU has a funny transformer indicating a switcher PSU without clearly defined safe areas [mains / low volts sides of olde transformer PSU]. Some areas may be working at d.c. voltages higher than mains, which could be shocking :shocked:

Other than very simple stuff (switches, fuses etc.) I stay clear of any mains electricity. Not in my skill set! :)
Drew Stephenson
Forum Aficionado

Post by nathanscribe »

t-sun wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 7:51 pm
The Elf wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 7:10 am I've had similar 'can't find it' situations from my studio PC, but plogging exclusively into my laptop everything worked fine. It could be worth trying different USB ports/hugs and/or borrowing a laptop to effect the update.

Oh it's not that it can't find the RD-8, it's that the 1.X firmware for the RD-8 doesn't communicate with Synthtool, it predates it. Compatibility was added in the 2.02 update, but in order to update to that I need a later firmware than the 1.3.5 which is on their site. 1.4.? I think.

I updated my RD-8 to the latest 2.x version straight from 1.2 or whatever it was, the one it shipped with from the very start. No trouble at all. You don't need to update to some intermediate stage, from what I remember. I'd read a few negative reports but I found it quick and painless, against expectation.
nathanscribe
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1483 Joined: Fri Jan 19, 2007 12:00 am Location: Wakefield, for my sins.
I have no idea what I'm doing.