Simple free video editor for Mac?

For current or would-be users of Apple Mac computers, with answers to many FAQs.

Moderator: Moderators

Simple free video editor for Mac?

Post by Arpangel »

I’ve got Reaper, but find the video editing to be just a bit on the basic side.
I’m no expert at this, but need something that’s easy to use (unlike iMovie)
I just need to do fades, add titles, cut and paste.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Re: Simple free video editor for Mac?

Post by IAA »

I’m absolutely new to doing videos, but I used iMovie, which flummoxed me to start with, but I watched a couple of tutorials and managed all that you want. I downloaded the free trial of final cut, but so far haven’t opened it...... :headbang:
IAA
Frequent Poster

Post by ConcertinaChap »

Actually iMovie is pretty good. It has a few obscurities that it inherits from FCPX (like "events" which just appear to be containers for clips and stuff, ignore the name and it gets less confusing). Stick with it and do a few tutorials and it soon becomes clear. I think you'd soon get dissatisfied with any video editor that was simpler.

IAA wrote: I downloaded the free trial of final cut, but so far haven’t opened it...... :headbang:

Because iMovie is descended from FCPX and has the same Library/Event/Project structure you'll quickly get up to speed on simple stuff. Some of the complex stuff is scary!

CC
Last edited by ConcertinaChap on Sun May 03, 2020 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Posts: 12925 Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2005 12:00 am Location: Bradford on Avon
Mr Punch's Studio
Life's a long song
but the tune ends too soon for us all

Post by IAA »

Some of the complex stuff is scary!

I bet. I’m amazed at what non pros seem to be able to do with it. I will take the plunge, but isn’t it the case there’s nearly always something musical I’d much rather do with my synths!
IAA
Frequent Poster

Post by James Perrett »

Arpangel wrote:I’ve got Reaper, but find the video editing to be just a bit on the basic side.
I’m no expert at this, but need something that’s easy to use (unlike iMovie)
I just need to do fades, add titles, cut and paste.

Have you discovered the Video Processor in Reaper? One of the presets makes fades work in exactly the same way as audio fades. So, with this in your FX chain, you can just grab the handle at the end of the clip and drag it to create a fade. If you slide clips together you get a dissolve. Cutting and pasting video works in exactly the same way as cutting and pasting audio.

Titles are slightly more difficult in Reaper but no more difficult than any other video editor.
James Perrett
Posts: 14344 Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2001 12:00 am Location: The wilds of Hampshire
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Post by BigRedX »

If you can't get on with iMovie or the video component of Reaper, try DaVinci Resolve. There's a free version hidden away at the bottom of the page for the full paid version.

IME video editors tend to be counter-intuitive to those of us familiar with how the typical sequencer/DAW works, because we expect them to be the same but with pictures instead of audio. However because they tend to have been developed for film/video editors they work in significantly different ways. You need to stop thinking of them as DAWs with moving pictures and accept that you are going to need to learn a different way of working to get the best out of them.
BigRedX
Frequent Poster
RockinRollin' VampireMan

Post by ConcertinaChap »

I'd agree with that. I really think iMovie is a pretty good place to start. You can move onto other editors after that with some of the basic concepts in place.

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Mr Punch's Studio
Life's a long song

Post by Dave Rowles »

BigRedX wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 10:17 am If you can't get on with iMovie or the video component of Reaper, try DaVinci Resolve. There's a free version hidden away at the bottom of the page for the full paid version.

I was going to suggest DaVinci as well. I got into Final Cut as they had a free version for 90days, and I didn't know about DaVinci then. But DaVinci Resolve is a good program.

I've had to do a load of video editing since Covid and started with iMovie, and it did an OK job to start with. But I quickly encountered the fact that iMovie is a cut down Final Cut, and it stops you being able to do stuff that I wanted, and I could also never quite get my audio to sync properly. I have the same problem with Garageband, as I'm always trying to do things that Logic Lets me do and GarageBand doesn't.

It took me about a month of concerted use to get used to how video editor's brains work, and then it all started to make sense. If I started having to do any more video I think I'd have to start altering the shortcuts so I can use the same buttons for both logic and final cut. I already added into final cut that the "return" key took me back to the beginning of the video. as that drove me nuts to start with.
Dave Rowles
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1455 Joined: Thu Feb 28, 2008 12:00 am Location: Isle of Man
http://www.manninmusic.com Teacher - Isle of Man
http://www.manninmusic.shop Music Shop - Isle of Man
https://www.facebook.com/mannin.sound - PA Hire/Sound Engineer - Isle of Man

Post by Guest »

I decided to explore a new direction for myself. I take photos and videos, and I realised that I needed to have at least two video editors. I'm looking for a simple yet functional video editor.

Post by ConcertinaChap »

Hi and welcome. Have a read of the thread from the beginning. I don't think there's much more to say, really.

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Mr Punch's Studio
Life's a long song

Post by Humf »

Except to say Premiere Pro isn’t too bad on a monthly never-never. I’m about to bite the bullet. Tried the FCP demo and didn’t get on with it for some reason, despite knowing iMovie back to front.
Humf
Regular

Post by pk.roberts »

Resolve is a great programme; in fact an amazing programme considering it's free, but does take a reasonable PC (& GPU in particular) to make it run smoothly; using 'nodes' can be a bit of a 'challenge' as well.
There are a couple of very reasonable, 'lighter weight' and free programmes you might also want to have a look at.

Shotcut; https://www.shotcut.org/

and Kdenlive; https://kdenlive.org/en/
pk.roberts
Regular
Ain't No Party Like an S Club Party