Windows 7 PC suddenly powers off

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Windows 7 PC suddenly powers off

Post by merlyn »

Marbury wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 12:58 pm The trouble is that the existing psu has seperate plugs for the different cables. The new one has them all hard wired to the unit, which would mean a lot more work. If the new unit had seperate plugs I could have used the existing cables which would make it a lot easier so I will need one that can take the old cables.

A PSU where you can take the cables out is called a modular PSU. That's what your old one is. The new one is non-modular. Given that the old PSU is not working, it would make sense to swap over the cables too. I wouldn't say it's a huge amount of work -- ten minutes?
merlyn
Frequent Poster
It ain't what you don't know. It's what you know that ain't so.

Post by Marbury »

Ok, I will give it a go. Looking closer it isn’t as complex as initially thought. A lot of the wires that are tied to the cables are from the actual motherboard.
Marbury
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1089 Joined: Thu Aug 28, 2003 12:00 am Location: Cheshire, UK

Post by Marbury »

Managed to fit it and attach the connections to the board where all the old ones were, as well as connect power to the hard drives and nothing. Press the power button and no response. Switch on psu is turned on so it must be a faulty psu as no other reason why it wont work.
Marbury
Frequent Poster

Post by merlyn »

First thing to check is if the power switch is connected to the motherboard. There is a jumper on the motherboard where wires from the front of the case -- power, reset and power led connect to the motherboard. You may have taken the power switch connector off while re-wiring.
merlyn
Frequent Poster

Post by Marbury »

Well I checked that and do you know what ? It was that very tiny connector that said "P Switch" that I plugged into (I guessed the red connector pins) and it has fired up all good so thanks so much everyone for your help with this long winded problem. As it's still Win 7 I will use it as a downstairs pc top do mainly admin, with some editing for music etc. Just nice to have the luxury of 2 pc's, especially as backup. :thumbup:
Marbury
Frequent Poster

Post by merlyn »

Marbury wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 6:29 pm It was that very tiny connector that said "P Switch" ...

It is indeed tiny. Well done finding the right pins on the jumper!
merlyn
Frequent Poster

Post by Marbury »

I just deduced that red means power. It was a lucky guess.

The only thing I can't get to work is the TP Liknk wireless usb dongle. Pretty much plug and play on my new pc but this old one fails to detect it. Gone into all the hardware in devices and just can't see it. Came with a cd to install but this old pc doesn't have a cd drive (nicked it for the new pc) .

Any reason the usb won't see it, even though the ports are all working fine ?
Marbury
Frequent Poster