'The Mix Review' changes...

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: 'The Mix Review' is dead...

Post by MOF »

I've forgotten their name.
Hip hop style but with lots of orchestral samples, rapping sounded not dissimilar to Eminem in style

Has Mike ever analysed a Boney M song? They usually have a guy talking and lots of orchestral elements to them. :lol:
MOF
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Posts: 2260 Joined: Thu Mar 06, 2003 12:00 am Location: United Kingdom

Re: 'The Mix Review' is dead...

Post by Drew Stephenson »

blinddrew wrote:
Mike Senior wrote:
blinddrew wrote:While you're on Mike...
One of the subjects of your reviews a couple of months ago really tickled my interest but I've forgotten their name.
Hip hop style but with lots of orchestral samples, rapping sounded not dissimilar to Eminem in style. The song in question had a very clever self-reference highlighting where the bass had dropped out.
Ring any bells?

Hmmm. Well the mention of Eminem immediately suggested Eminem: 'Godzilla' or Logic feat. Eminem: 'Homicide', but I also wondered whether you might have been referring to Stormzy: 'Vossi Bop', because there's definitely some rap/bass arrangement interaction there. Failing those, though, here are the other hip-hop tracks I've critiqued over the past few months:
Hopefully one of those will be the one you were looking for!

Thanks Mike, but I've had a quick look and vexingly I don't think it's any of those! I could be mistaken though so I shall have a proper listen - thanks for fishing them out. :thumbup:

Ah, sorry, my bad. It was an Inside Track not a mix review (and it was from October!), it was The Search by NF.
Still worth another listen. ;)
Drew Stephenson
Jedi Poster
Posts: 24450 Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:00 am Location: York
(The forumuser formerly known as Blinddrew)
Ignore the post count, I still have no idea what I'm doing...
https://drewstephenson.bandcamp.com/

Latest 'The Mix Review' critiques!

Post by Mike Senior »

Hello again, eveyone!

Well, as I'd hoped, I've been continuing to upload new critiques to TheMixReview.org on a weekly basis, so I figured I'd quickly check in again here and post an update of the latest additions in case any of you would like to check those out (for free of course):
I've also added some extra material to the Doja Cat 'Say So' critique as well, in case you'd been wondering why I hadn't made the obvious connection with Simon & Garfunkel...

:beamup:
Mike Senior
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1083 Joined: Fri Aug 08, 2003 12:00 am Location: Cambridge, UK

Re: 'The Mix Review' changes...

Post by forumuser901190 »

mike - given your extensive back catalogue of mix reviews, could you magic up a list of, say, ten to use as reference tracks during mixing? I appreciate that reference tracks are usually specific to the genre we're mixing in, but to get ten fine examples of, for example, best use of stereo width and depth, clarity in the low end etc, would be amazing and super-useful
forumuser901190

Post by Mike Senior »

forumuser901190 wrote:mike - given your extensive back catalogue of mix reviews, could you magic up a list of, say, ten to use as reference tracks during mixing? I appreciate that reference tracks are usually specific to the genre we're mixing in, but to get ten fine examples of, for example, best use of stereo width and depth, clarity in the low end etc, would be amazing and super-useful.

Well, funnily enough, I've actually been doing exactly this as a series of weekly 'Reference Of The Week' posts for my Cambridge-MT site patrons since the beginning of the year -- and the first couple of posts (Finlay Quaye's 'Even After All' & Outkast's 'Bowtie') are actually public access if you wanted to check those out. (There's also a directory of all my other Cambridge-MT reward content here, if you fancy getting involved.)

Otherwise, though, there are lots of reference suggestions here too.
Mike Senior
Frequent Poster

Latest 'The Mix Review' critiques!

Post by Mike Senior »

Hello again, everyone!

Just checking in to remind people that new Mix Review critiques are continuing to appear every Friday over at TheMixReview.org -- and the latest additions include:
Plenty of mixing and production tips in that lot... :)
Mike Senior
Frequent Poster

Post by tea for two »

One of my favourite parts of SoS magazine was readers tracks, reading suggestions to improve the mix of their tracks.

SoS views of mixing mastering in modern commercially released music gave me the insight and courage to mix, master, my tracks the way I do and to request the mastering engineer to do certain things.

Mike spill the beanz
"Massive props to producer Fabrizio Ferraguzzo here – and I’m hoping his monitor controller is his secret sauce, as he appears to be using the same one as me…" :think:
tea for two
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Post by Mike Senior »

tea for two wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 10:00 am Mike spill the beanz
"Massive props to producer Fabrizio Ferraguzzo here – and I’m hoping his monitor controller is his secret sauce, as he appears to be using the same one as me…" :think:

Hah! It's the SPL 2381. Been using it for more than 15 years. Had it serviced a few years back and it's still working well.
Mike Senior
Frequent Poster