21:9 screen vs. dual monitors

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: 21:9 screen vs. dual monitors

Post by muzines »

MOF wrote:With Logic why not use screensets and just one big screen?

I've been using screensets since Logic 1, but they are not an alternative to a decent monitor (or multiple monitors) - just a good way to automatically switch between different window and tool configurations on whatever monitor setup you are using...
muzines
Jedi Poster
..............................mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio  | Legacy Logic Project Conversion

Post by muzines »

CS70 wrote:A screen over them and everybody will be thinking I'm praying to god... :D

"Oh, the ceiling needs painting again..."
muzines
Jedi Poster
..............................mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio  | Legacy Logic Project Conversion

Post by MOF »

With Logic why not use screensets and just one big screen?

I've been using screensets since Logic 1, but they are not an alternative to a decent monitor (or multiple monitors) - just a good way to automatically switch between different window and tool configurations on whatever monitor setup you are using...

I find multiple monitors a real pain, friends have gone down that route and there’s a lot of head turning and moving the mouse from one screen to the other to get to the dock and then back to the first monitor.
My iMac 27” screen is sharp enough and big enough, especially once you use screensets since different editors/windows can take up the whole screen or several arranged and sized how you like on one page.
Last edited by Forum Admin on Tue Jul 28, 2020 10:29 am, edited 2 times in total.
MOF
Frequent Poster
Posts: 2264 Joined: Thu Mar 06, 2003 12:00 am Location: United Kingdom

Post by James Perrett »

I had three screens for a while and found that one of them simply didn't get used much so I reverted back to two which just seems right to me.
James Perrett
Posts: 14353 Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2001 12:00 am Location: The wilds of Hampshire
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Post by ManFromGlass »

A studio owner friend just switched over to an ultrawide curved. He loves it.

You think there would be a study about eye/head/neck movement related to monitor viewing. I liked the idea of a small tv setup in the studio corner that has regular tv playing on it while one mixes (no volume). Supposedly the way it pulls focus now and then is healthier for the eyes.
ManFromGlass
Longtime Poster
Posts: 6666 Joined: Sun Jul 24, 2011 12:00 am Location: O Canada

Post by Luke W »

I’ve got a 21:9 monitor which I intended to run on its own, but I really missed having a second screen quite quickly and added a TV above. The extra screen space is very nice though, I can open up a few plugins while working on an edit and still see enough of everything without dragging windows around. The one I’ve got came with some software that splits the screen into cells so that windows can snap to areas of the screen which can be really useful.

If I had the space I’d probably go for the best of both worlds approach and have two of them side by side :lol:
Luke W
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1536 Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2009 12:00 am Location: Northamptonshire, UK

Post by Zukan »

James Perrett wrote:I had three screens for a while and found that one of them simply didn't get used much so I reverted back to two which just seems right to me.

Which ones James?
Zukan
'Shaka. When the walls fell. Zukan...with his arms wide.'

Samplecraze
1-2-1 Tuition

Post by Forum Admin »

MOF wrote:...and moving the mouse from one screen to the other to get to the dock and then back to the first monitor.

Isn't that where Mission Control (F4) comes in handy?

Actually, desmond's comment has reminded me about SPACES - I have 17 available and currently use only one - crackers! Now I have somewhere to put Chrome browser when doing GMeets.
Forum Admin
Posts: 4290 Joined: Mon Jul 21, 2003 11:00 pm Location: A studio deep in the fenlands of Cambridgeshire, UK
Search 16,966 SOS Reviews+Techniques articles: www.soundonsound.com/search
SOS Podcasts

Post by The Elf »

I know a couple of people who had curved TVs and regretted it when they realised just how wonky everything looked.
The Elf
Forum Aficionado
Posts: 20026 Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2001 12:00 am Location: Sheffield, UK
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Post by Folderol »

I've only seen them in shop windows. They look weird to me. I suspect you would need one to completely fill your field of view, otherwise your brain will be fighting to differentiate this from the real surroundings.
Folderol
Jedi Poster
Posts: 18178 Joined: Sat Nov 15, 2008 12:00 am Location: The Mudway Towns, UK
Yes. I am that Linux nut {apparently now an 'elderly'}
Onwards and... err... sideways!

Post by Forum Admin »

Curved screens are probably really best for immersive games where you want to feel "in" the action but can live with peripheries being out of focus (like real life).
Forum Admin
Posts: 4290 Joined: Mon Jul 21, 2003 11:00 pm Location: A studio deep in the fenlands of Cambridgeshire, UK
Search 16,966 SOS Reviews+Techniques articles: www.soundonsound.com/search
SOS Podcasts

Post by muzines »

Forum Admin wrote:Actually, desmond's comment has reminded me about SPACES - I have 17 available and currently use only one - crackers! Now I have somewhere to put Chrome browser when doing GMeets.

The approach I've settled on over the years is to basically have 8, two rows of four. For me, having too many spaces just becomes a mess too easily, and I don't need them. It's like being in a massive room - there's always free space available to put something so it doesn't enforce any structure or consistency.

For general laptop/single monitor use, the top row 1-4 are main working environments.

The next row down 5-8 are mostly communication & admin - stuff I need open but don't want getting in the way of the work - so 5 (directly underneath 1) is generally Mail, 6 is Slack, 7 and 8 are various utility things like FTP, Versions, Itunes and other stuff.

I have things set up so certain apps always go to certain spaces - so eg when I run Mail, it always goes to space 5, my SQL tool always goes to 3 and so on so it enforces some structure and consistency in use.

Key commands are CNTRL+ALT + arrow keys let me move left/right/up/down, and I can also go directly to spaces 1-8 using CNTRL+ALT+COMMAND+ 1-8 number keys.

For me, nothing ruins workflows more than juggling multiple windows around, or trying to find which window you want in a sea of windows, moving and resizing things around just to see other things and so on.
muzines
Jedi Poster

Post by CS70 »

James Perrett wrote:I had three screens for a while and found that one of them simply didn't get used much so I reverted back to two which just seems right to me.

Two screens is fine for mixing, but I find I miss a third screen when editing video.

Conceptually I keep separate three zones - timeline, preview and a working area, ideally center, left and right. With two screens, the "working area" (trimmer, file system, plugin, external player etc) is always overlapping something else (and in Windows the interaction between the file explorer, Vegas preview window and returning from a full screen player is always annoying - as it alters the Z-order of the windows requiring one additional click).

So a horizontal three screens configuration would be great.

But since I use the same desk for both video and audio processing, it just doesn't fit... it would make it impossible to have the nearfields anywhere near a reasonable position. Already with two screens my head is a little "inside the triangle" and the stereo image is not as clear as it could be.

Compromises... :D
Last edited by Forum Admin on Tue Jul 28, 2020 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
CS70
Longtime Poster
Posts: 7798 Joined: Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:00 am Location: Oslo, Norway
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Post by CS70 »

Folderol wrote:I've only seen them in shop windows. They look weird to me. I suspect you would need one to completely fill your field of view, otherwise your brain will be fighting to differentiate this from the real surroundings.

I guess, as many things, you need to get used to them, trying for a while without preconceptions, before deciding if they're good or not.

They're definitely different, and we always instinctively equate "different" with "bad"..

The question is whether or not to go to the pain of purchasing, recabling, recalibrating and testing only to find out that it's not! :)
CS70
Longtime Poster

Post by CS70 »

Luke W wrote:I’ve got a 21:9 monitor which I intended to run on its own, but I really missed having a second screen quite quickly and added a TV above.

Thanks, yeah, that's what I'm fearing as well :)

A plus is that I'd need to color-calibrate only one monitor instead of two, and just to something that I perceive as a reasonable setup, instead of having to use a lot of time to color match two panels every month that drift in slightly different ways. I'm still pretty slow at color calibration.

The extra screen space is very nice though, I can open up a few plugins while working on an edit and still see enough of everything without dragging windows around. The one I’ve got came with some software that splits the screen into cells so that windows can snap to areas of the screen which can be really useful.

If I had the space I’d probably go for the best of both worlds approach and have two of them side by side :lol:

Yeah I've tried the cell-splitting software at the shop and it's really completely removed one of my main concerns (I hate resizing windows)
Last edited by CS70 on Tue Jul 28, 2020 11:43 am, edited 3 times in total.
CS70
Longtime Poster

Post by ManFromGlass »

Justification #253B -
At least 2 is good because One could break so there will be a “spare” until the new one arrives. And they only break just before a deadline or a producer is coming over.

If you ordered a curved one from amazon or such you could always return it no questions asked.
ManFromGlass
Longtime Poster
Posts: 6666 Joined: Sun Jul 24, 2011 12:00 am Location: O Canada

Post by CS70 »

ManFromGlass wrote:Justification #253B -
At least 2 is good because One could break so there will be a “spare” until the new one arrives. And they only break just before a deadline or a producer is coming over.

If you ordered a curved one from amazon or such you could always return it no questions asked.

Ahah yeah I have plenty 27" monitors at home. Could have one up per room.

What I usually do is that I buy used and resell in case. New costs too much for anything that's obsolete after a couple years imho.
CS70
Longtime Poster

Post by Drew Stephenson »

CS70 wrote:

Two screens is fine for mixing, but I find I miss a third screen when editing video.

Conceptually I keep separate three zones - timeline, preview and a working area, ideally center, left and right. With two screens, the "working area" (trimmer, file system, plugin, external player etc) is always overlapping something else (and in Windows the interaction between the file explorer, Vegas preview window and returning from a full screen player is always annoying - as it alters the Z-order of the windows requiring one additional click).

So a horizontal three screens configuration would be great.

But since I use the same desk for both video and audio processing, it just doesn't fit... it would make it impossible to have the nearfields anywhere near a reasonable position. Already with two screens my head is a little "inside the triangle" and the stereo image is not as clear as it could be.

Compromises... :D

Raise the monitors over the screens and point them downwards?
Drew Stephenson
Forum Aficionado
Posts: 24573 Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:00 am Location: York
(The forumuser formerly known as Blinddrew)
Ignore the post count, I still have no idea what I'm doing...
https://drewstephenson.bandcamp.com/

Post by James Perrett »

Zukan wrote:

Which ones James?

In the home setup (which is the most used at the moment) I have a 15" Dell Precision laptop with a Full HD display (1920x1080) and then a 27" display on a shelf behind it so that it is almost directly above the laptop screen. The 27" display is actually one of these

https://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/electri ... ersion.asp

though my laptop can only drive it at 2k resolution.

In the studio I'm using an old 17" 1280x1024 monitor with a 21" full HD monitor next to it.
James Perrett
Posts: 14353 Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2001 12:00 am Location: The wilds of Hampshire
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Post by Folderol »

This will sound crazy I know, but I'm sure that years ago I read something about an experiment to use the screen itself as a sound source. If it were possible it certainly would solve a lot of problems!
Folderol
Jedi Poster
Posts: 18178 Joined: Sat Nov 15, 2008 12:00 am Location: The Mudway Towns, UK
Yes. I am that Linux nut {apparently now an 'elderly'}
Onwards and... err... sideways!