Marshalls...

For all things relating to guitars, basses, amps, pedals & accessories.

Moderator: Moderators

Marshalls...

Post by Hewesy »

Hi all, hope everyones keeping well

I've come to the conclusion that I need a Marshall in my life. Most of my heroes play one, others use an MIAB type pedal to add that tone.

I've typically stayed away due to size/wattage but with the new Origin and DSL models this seems a sensible time to look at one.

Trouble is, the "cheaper" modern amps get really mixed reviews. The Origin 20H looks perfect as I'm after more of a Plexi/JTM45 sound but reviews are so knife edge its daft. Same with the DSL20HR, seems to get a kicking just because it has the DSL "My First Marshall" tag.

Anyone tried either, any real world thoughts to share?

Hewesy
Hewesy
Frequent Poster

Re: Marshalls...

Post by Hewesy »

For context I have a Laney VC30 that I adore but it has that "chime" Vox thing due to the EL84's that you can't get away from. Great drive for the Tom Petty type tone but doesn't get thicker.

Don't get me wrong it is awesome at what it does but I'd like another flavour for the more growly type stuff.

I've tried all manner of drive pedals, MIAB's, revalves, speakers etc but I've realised that it is just the EL84's doing what they do.

Hewesy
Hewesy
Frequent Poster

Post by ore_terra »

I do like “small” Marshalls, but mind that without EL34 (the big ones) you dont get the classic tones.

Old 70’s JMP can be found for reasonable prices. And they come with master volume.
ore_terra
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1067 Joined: Fri Dec 02, 2016 12:56 pm Location: Seville - Spain
casmoestudio.com

Post by Hewesy »

Thanks, its tempting to go old (and I have an SE100 to help tame volume to a certain extent) but the Origin and DSL are EL34's hence the thought of saving some cost/space if the tones stack up.

Hewesy
Hewesy
Frequent Poster

Post by CS70 »

The best Marshall sounding amp I've tried recently it's the Mezzabarba M-Zero. Unfortunately it ain't cheap. Fortunately I don't like the Marshall sound too much :D

But as ore_terra says, an used JCM800 doesn't need costing a fortune? A friend of mine just sold his old one - from the 80s - for some 600 (yes I told him he was being an idiot, but nevertheless..). More recent production years are more affordable (that is, can occasionally be found around the amount he sold his for..). If you want a Marshall, buy a Marshall I'd say..
CS70
Longtime Poster
Posts: 7798 Joined: Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:00 am Location: Oslo, Norway
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Post by Hewesy »

Flicking around seems there are some older eras going for sensible money.

Hmm...
Hewesy
Frequent Poster

Post by ef37a »

Have a chat with a guy who goes by the sobriquet of ICBM over at thefretboard.co.uk

He has gigged most of them and serviced almost all of them. Marshalls vary in build quality from BSH to feeble and some marks, some years ,had very fragile output transformers I understand.

Tell him the sort of tone/genre you are interested in and I am sure he will point you in the right direction.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster
Posts: 16542 Joined: Mon May 29, 2006 12:00 am Location: northampton uk

Post by Jack Ruston »

The sweet spot for price vs 'that' sound is probably a late 70's JMP or 80's JCM800...which are more or less the same amp. Be aware that even the 50w is INSANELY loud.

The late 70's JMP had plastic power switches instead of the metal toggles. They are less valuable but have a bit more gain, and are master volume - not that you get that thing if you turn them down.

In terms of that modded marshall high gain thing, I'd look at EVH or Friedman.

J
Jack Ruston
Frequent Poster

Post by Hewesy »

Thanks Jack, interesting point that those amps are less desirable. We're a funny bunch aren't we....

I'm more into the crunch sound e.g. Angus, Paul Weller, Paul Kossoff so the JCM's probably aren't my thing - lovely as the 8/900's are.

Dave, thanks for the tip I'll head over as time allows and see if they can help.

Thanks al,

Hewesy
Hewesy
Frequent Poster

Post by ef37a »

Hewesy wrote:Thanks Jack, interesting point that those amps are less desirable. We're a funny bunch aren't we....

I'm more into the crunch sound e.g. Angus, Paul Weller, Paul Kossoff so the JCM's probably aren't my thing - lovely as the 8/900's are.

Dave, thanks for the tip I'll head over as time allows and see if they can help.

Thanks al,

Hewesy

You are most welcome. I know faf that Paul Weller uses a pair of Artisan 30 combos, went da'hn sarf and did the mods.

Mind you he can afford them and has someone else to hump them, 'king heavy. The 15 is virtually the same circuit (with the EF86) but still loud enough for most pub use.

If you can find a used one it will be electrically fine, they never went wrong just got bits broken off so even a really tatty one would be ok.

Oh!! NOT to be confused with the ArtIST 15 and 30 although they are still very good amps and said to be first class pedal platforms.
Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Post by Hewesy »

Cheers Dave, that's interesting to know. Steve Craddock (long term sideman) uses Artisans so I'm not surprised PW has taken them on too.

Can you share any mod details on them? No worries if not of course.

Actually I was going to ask about the Artist, the 3 new 15w models look interesting. EL34, EL84,and KT88 models aren't they?

Hewesy
Hewesy
Frequent Poster

Post by ef37a »

Hewesy wrote:Cheers Dave, that's interesting to know. Steve Craddock (long term sideman) uses Artisans so I'm not surprised PW has taken them on too.

Can you share any mod details on them? No worries if not of course.

Actually I was going to ask about the Artist, the 3 new 15w models look interesting. EL34, EL84,and KT88 models aren't they?

Hewesy

Ah, the mods! VERY early days this was and we found that with certain brands of EL84 they would "redplate" slightly so the common cathode bias resistor* was upped to 120R.

The other mod was to the rectifier circuit but you would have to get Blackstar to do that because I do not have the type codes for the components. You are very unlikely to find an amp that has not been modded. The rect mod was to save the GZ34 (they are not what they were in Mullies day! Though the TAD is pretty good) Bruce, the designer hates standby switches because they stress the rectifier valve but you cannot market a 'classic', hand wired all valve amp without one!

As for the rest of the 'new' range sorry, cannot help been gone from them too long now.

My PERSONAL opinion is that I do not like Single Ended valve amps except for a very cheap practice amp but, they seem to sell and you have to pay the bills!

*10 watt rated and a massive over kill but that is the design philosophy, overengineer stuff so a valve failure does not result in collateral damage.

Example: The first Series One 200 experienced some massive flash over of the KT88s (they are ***t these days) and that dumped well over an amp from the 700V anode supply into the surrounding circuitry. Blew every fuse including the one in the 13A plug. All I found on the circuit board was a rather brown grid stopper resistor but it still read well within tolerance.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Post by Folderol »

ef37a wrote: Example: The first Series One 200 experienced some massive flash over of the KT88s (they are ***t these days) and that dumped well over an amp from the 700V anode supply into the surrounding circuitry. Blew every fuse including the one in the 13A plug. All I found on the circuit board was a rather brown grid stopper resistor but it still read well within tolerance.

Dave.

They call it defensive design. You know they've taken this to extremes when you see a spark gap across the OP Tx primary :lol:
Folderol
Jedi Poster
Posts: 18211 Joined: Sat Nov 15, 2008 12:00 am Location: The Mudway Towns, UK
Yes. I am that Linux nut {apparently now an 'elderly'}
Onwards and... err... sideways!

Post by ef37a »

Folderol wrote:
ef37a wrote: Example: The first Series One 200 experienced some massive flash over of the KT88s (they are ***t these days) and that dumped well over an amp from the 700V anode supply into the surrounding circuitry. Blew every fuse including the one in the 13A plug. All I found on the circuit board was a rather brown grid stopper resistor but it still read well within tolerance.

Dave.

They call it defensive design. You know they've taken this to extremes when you see a spark gap across the OP Tx primary :lol:

Seen it! We had an Avon cosmetics factory and I worked on the PA. One amp was EL31s (yup 6V TV valves) with 1kV on them and top cap freaking anodes! That had spark gaps set in what looked like Paxolin. Bloody thing used a huge slab Selenium rectifier.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Post by adrian_k »

I love reading this sort of thing even though I understand not one word :)
adrian_k
Frequent Poster
Posts: 2662 Joined: Thu Jan 30, 2003 12:00 am Location: Gloucestershire
Above all, be kind.

Post by Drew Stephenson »

I'm assuming that it's the script for the next Star Trek movie being leaked one phrase at a time... ;)
Drew Stephenson
Forum Aficionado
Posts: 24639 Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:00 am Location: York
(The forumuser formerly known as Blinddrew)
Ignore the post count, I still have no idea what I'm doing...
https://drewstephenson.bandcamp.com/

Post by ef37a »

adrian_k wrote:I love reading this sort of thing even though I understand not one word :)

Happy to oblige you Adrian but 95% of the words used are perfectly normal English. If there are things you do not understand and wish to learn I would be happy to attempt an explanation and I am sure Will feels the same?

I for example have a very tenuous grasp of computer matters but it is only by stickiing my head up and asking "stupid" questions that I have managed to improve a little of my understanding...What a good forum is for ?

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Post by adrian_k »

Thanks Dave I appreciate the offer. Problem is I don’t even know what question to ask.

It’s worse than that - a few years ago I did an online introductory electronics course. I got over 90%. I even spotted an incorrect answer in the exam. But I can’t apply any of it, and through lack of use have forgotten everything. My brain doesn’t seem to work that way. If it had been more hands on maybe I would have understood more, I don’t know.

Anyway sorry for OT excursion...
adrian_k
Frequent Poster
Posts: 2662 Joined: Thu Jan 30, 2003 12:00 am Location: Gloucestershire
Above all, be kind.

Post by Hewesy »

ef37a wrote:
adrian_k wrote:I love reading this sort of thing even though I understand not one word :)

Happy to oblige you Adrian but 95% of the words used are perfectly normal English. If there are things you do not understand and wish to learn I would be happy to attempt an explanation and I am sure Will feels the same?

I for example have a very tenuous grasp of computer matters but it is only by stickiing my head up and asking "stupid" questions that I have managed to improve a little of my understanding...What a good forum is for ?

Dave.

Well I happen to be an IT Manager so perhaps some handy translation swaps could be arranged?!

Thanks for the tips on the mods, interesting it would be hard to find something unmodded.

Any thoughts on valve brands offering EQ changes? I keep seeing people suggest x valve offers more treble than y brand, is that likely or are we talking minimal change?

Hewesy
Hewesy
Frequent Poster

Post by ef37a »

IT? Oh! I would not waste your time H! I think I have got about as good as I am going to get.

On the "valve EQ/tonal differences"? Very agnostic matey. Yes, people I respect on forums SAY " JJs atr this or that and TADs are shite" but quite honestly I could never hear any difference (but then I am clinically deaf!)

Before you blow a ton on some highly praised 'Cryo' tech reflect upon one fact. I have read reams of statements of how a certain valve has made 'night and day' difference to an amplifier. NEVER with any of those claims has there been a supporting before & after recording. Yes, if you swap a valve for a different type, an 'AY' for an 'AX ' say you might hear some tonal change but that will be because the circuit is now WRONG for that valve and it will not be working at its optimum bias or loading. Also, ad hoc swapping of pre amp valves can lead to smoke!

I was charged at Bs to make an ECC83 changeover device so that two different makes could be instantly compared on the fly. The result was was that a collection of ears of some of the most experience people and players in the industry said "Yes, there is A difference, especially when pushed hard but it is so small that it does not matter. The test was to make sure valve inventory was valid across a couple of brands.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster