PC upgrade - a diary

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: PC upgrade - a diary

Post by Drew Stephenson »

Cheers Richard, here's hoping; the last one did stirling service.
Drew Stephenson
Forum Aficionado
Posts: 24577 Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:00 am Location: York
(The forumuser formerly known as Blinddrew)
Ignore the post count, I still have no idea what I'm doing...
https://drewstephenson.bandcamp.com/

Post by Martin Walker »

As it came from Scan I suspect your new PC will have a long and happy life like the previous one ;)

Well done Drew! :clap:

Do we open a bottle of champagne in its honour now?

Martin
Martin Walker
Posts: 20634 Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:44 am Location: Cornwall, UK

Give me a couple of days to transfer everything across and we can do it at the SOS meet on wednesday. ;)
Drew Stephenson
Forum Aficionado

Post by Martin Walker »

:thumbup:
Martin Walker

Hmmm.
Well, all is not completely well in newPCland.
One plugin refuses to play ball, sadly it's not a gratuitous freebie compressor, it's my piano instrument; SoniVox EightyEight. I have tried a number of approaches now and Reaper just won't find it as an instrument and the authenticator file does nothing. I'm at a loss on that one so waiting on a response from Sonivox support.

The other interesting thing is the C:drive is very noisy, which is a bit weird because it's SSD, I thought that it'd be pretty much silent.
Drew Stephenson
Forum Aficionado

Post by Kwackman »

blinddrew wrote:The other interesting thing is the C:drive is very noisy, which is a bit weird because it's SSD, I thought that it'd be pretty much silent.

That's odd, I'm pretty certain they are silent. It wouldn't be a hybrid drive or whatever they were called?
Kwackman
Frequent Poster
Posts: 3221 Joined: Thu Nov 07, 2002 12:00 am Location: Belfast
Cubase, guitars.

Says it's an SSD?

On the positive side, following the age old tradition of trying the same thing 'just one more time', EightyEight is now working. :thumbup:
Drew Stephenson
Forum Aficionado

Post by wireman »

What did your configuration say?
You may have an M.2 SSD for your C drive (which is physically small and plugs into a slot on the motherboard) along with a separate hard disk.
wireman
Frequent Poster

Post by N i g e l »

I have had PCs with Crucial & Sandisk SSDs. Totally silent & lighter than a guitar string winder. Just ICs inside, no moving parts.

If you put your finger on the case can you feel a vibration that is not fan related ? is the part number visible ?

My M.2 SSD that plugs into the motherboard is just an exposed PCB with chips on it.
Faster than a main SSD drive and favoured for streaming of mega sample libraries.
Last edited by N i g e l on Sat Oct 24, 2020 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
N i g e l
Frequent Poster
Posts: 3689 Joined: Sun Aug 12, 2018 2:40 pm Location: British Isles

wireman wrote:What did your configuration say?
You may have an M.2 SSD for your C drive (which is physically small and plugs into a slot on the motherboard) along with a separate hard disk.

Yep, this is the set-up.
I'll try and grab a video of it next time.
Drew Stephenson
Forum Aficionado

I have isolated the noise source. I've added a card reader in the empty front slot (I didn't realise modern machines didn't have them as standard!) but it only attaches on one side. When the fan kicks in it's vibrating, a bit of finger pressure silences it so I shall find a suitable wedge material and sort that out.
Drew Stephenson
Forum Aficionado

Post by Martin Walker »

It's always rewarding to cure a studio rattle Drew - well done in anticipation! :thumbup:

Martin
Martin Walker

Been having a lot of blue screen of deaths over the last couple of days. I think I've narrowed it down to installing Microsoft Teams (for work). Removing that seems to have fixed it. Nice to see that MS are still as co-ordinated as ever.
Slightly vexingly it's got a pretty loud hum at 120Hz, it disappears entirely when I close up the my cabinet (so fine for recording) but it's enough to intrude on listening with it open.
I don't know if I'm being unreasonable in my expectations here but we're talking borderline not fit for purpose. :(
Drew Stephenson
Forum Aficionado

Post by Martin Walker »

A loud hum at 120Hz Drew? Quite possible in the US, but not so likely in the UK.

If you're referring to a mains hum then this is more likely to be 150Hz (3rd harmonic of the UK mains frequency (unless you've got a really distorted mains signal, in which case it could be 100Hz 2nd harmonic ;) )

If it's a mechanical transformer-style hum then you can probably reduce it by placing your new PC on some Sorbothane rubber feet.

If on the other hand it's a large metal side panel vibrating in sympathy with hard drives then attaching a self adhesive damping panel as used in cars will deaden it.

Martin
Last edited by Martin Walker on Sun Nov 01, 2020 3:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Martin Walker

Definitely 120 Hz and no fundamentals below that. With the cover off my cabinet it's registering 57/58dB (C-weighted) at the mixing position, which is much louder than my old machine and is really far too intrusive to mix with.
I've dropped Scan a line though so we'll see what they come back with.
Drew Stephenson
Forum Aficionado

Post by merlyn »

It could be a fan. There will be a few fans -- power supply, case fans, CPU cooler, and a fan on the graphics card.
merlyn
Frequent Poster
It ain't what you don't know. It's what you know that ain't so.

That's my assumption, but it happens from start up with virtually no load on the CPU and all cores down at healthy levels (sub 30 degrees) - but I don't know what temperature fans start kicking in.
I've fired a note off to Scan though so we'll see what they come back with.
Drew Stephenson
Forum Aficionado

Post by Martin Walker »

Strange coincidence that it happens spot on a US mains frequency harmonic though ;)

If you suspect a fan, I'm really surprised that Scan might have fitted one that was as audible as this at all time (i.e. even when idling at lower temperatures).

To me that might suggest a continuously rotating graphics card fan (again, an unlikely choice for a Scan machine), since most system cooling fans nowadays tend to be temperature-controlled vari-speed devices.

When you mention a 'cabinet with a cover', have you got your new PC inside some sort of wooden casing? If so, it might be that some PC component is causing some part of this to resonate in sympathy, in which case a little internal bracing might do the trick.

Is the noise still there at the same frequency when the PC case itself is in free air?

Martin
Last edited by Martin Walker on Sun Nov 01, 2020 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Martin Walker

I think the cabinet must be having some kind of an effect, the noise was there before but is louder now. It's seriously rigid* though and, when closed, almost completely soundproof. Perhaps a bit of padding underneath the unit might help but it feels like I shouldn't need to be doing this - I didn't with my previous machine and that was running a lot hotter.
I shall await a response from Scan, I'm sure they'll be responsive.

* 12.5mm MDF and 12.5mm acoustic plasterboard on all sides, screwed and glued!
Drew Stephenson
Forum Aficionado

Post by Martin Walker »

blinddrew wrote:* 12.5mm MDF and 12.5mm acoustic plasterboard on all sides, screwed and glued!

Well that shouldn't resonate!

Quick test - place a cushion or two under the PC inside your cabinet and see if that cures the noise. If so, a little decoupling such as four Sorbothane rubber feet should certainly help.

Martin
Martin Walker