New Macs

For current or would-be users of Apple Mac computers, with answers to many FAQs.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: New Macs

Post by s_e_a_n »

In Ireland we're seeing up close the impact of Brexit, and it's not caused by the UK, it's caused by the EU. Brussels is like a spoilt brat throwing a tantrum because someone dared to stop playing their game. The EEC was supposed to be a common trading area which allowed us all to benefit from relaxed border controls. Funnily enough, in Ireland we were never allowed to buy a car in England and drive it back to Ireland. We had to pay a huge import tax with the value of the car decided by Irish customs and excise. Import duties and taxes are all about extracting what you can from the public. Brexit had nothing to do with Johnson, he's just the idiot that was in power(?) when it went through. As Sam Spoons says, above, it was held by Czech customs, that means EU restrictions not UK ones.
s_e_a_n
Poster
Posts: 64 Joined: Thu Apr 03, 2003 12:00 am Location: Kerry
Programmer, sound engineer, artist, musician

Post by Howdy Doody Time »

[ACCOUNT DELETED] wrote:Mmm, that didn't last long!

Indeed. Quality Control not up to the mark would be a fair assumption then.
Howdy Doody Time
Frequent Poster
Posts: 806 Joined: Sun Jan 18, 2009 12:00 am Location: Huai Yai, Chon Buri, Siam
The only excuse we have for making music in the first place is to make it differently..vis-a-vis our own difference (Glenn Gould)

Post by Howdy Doody Time »

s_e_a_n wrote:In Ireland we're seeing up close the impact of Brexit, and it's not caused by the UK, it's caused by the EU. Brussels is like a spoilt brat throwing a tantrum because someone dared to stop playing their game. The EEC was supposed to be a common trading area which allowed us all to benefit from relaxed border controls. Funnily enough, in Ireland we were never allowed to buy a car in England and drive it back to Ireland. We had to pay a huge import tax with the value of the car decided by Irish customs and excise. Import duties and taxes are all about extracting what you can from the public. Brexit had nothing to do with Johnson, he's just the idiot that was in power(?) when it went through. As Sam Spoons says, above, it was held by Czech customs, that means EU restrictions not UK ones.

After reading excerpts from Barniers book "The Great Illusion" where he discusses Johnsons flimsy grasp of the problems, and his subsequent retraction of agreements reached during meetings, along with the necessity of the EU delegation to assume the role of the "adults in the room" I'm amazed the EU can even be bothered with the UK at all.
Howdy Doody Time
Frequent Poster
Posts: 806 Joined: Sun Jan 18, 2009 12:00 am Location: Huai Yai, Chon Buri, Siam
The only excuse we have for making music in the first place is to make it differently..vis-a-vis our own difference (Glenn Gould)

Post by johnny h »

s_e_a_n wrote:In Ireland we're seeing up close the impact of Brexit, and it's not caused by the UK, it's caused by the EU. Brussels is like a spoilt brat throwing a tantrum because someone dared to stop playing their game. The EEC was supposed to be a common trading area which allowed us all to benefit from relaxed border controls. Funnily enough, in Ireland we were never allowed to buy a car in England and drive it back to Ireland. We had to pay a huge import tax with the value of the car decided by Irish customs and excise. Import duties and taxes are all about extracting what you can from the public. Brexit had nothing to do with Johnson, he's just the idiot that was in power(?) when it went through. As Sam Spoons says, above, it was held by Czech customs, that means EU restrictions not UK ones.

It's not about 'tantrums', it's about learning how annoying and inconvenient it is to exist under 'third country' rules instead of the single market, which we could have easily stayed in despite Brexit. Johnson knew what he was doing - trashing the economy so his hedge fund backers could make a tidy profit shorting the UK industries that would get (and have got) hammered with hard Brexit.
johnny h
Frequent Poster

Post by Eddy Deegan »

This is supposed to be a thread about Macs, not politics.

Please abandon the political discussion here, keep replies on (or near) the topic of Macs and raise separately anything political in the lounge!

Thank you folks.
Last edited by Eddy Deegan on Mon Jun 14, 2021 2:43 am, edited 14 times in total.
Eddy Deegan
Posts: 8820 Joined: Wed Sep 01, 2004 12:00 am Location: Brighton & Hove, UK
Some of my works | The SOS Forum Album projects  

Post by Kennyscrown »

Anyone gone down the new M1 iMac route yet? Any comments?
Kennyscrown
Poster

Post by MOF »

I've bought the 13" M1 Laptop. Seems to work fine.
MOF
Frequent Poster
Posts: 2264 Joined: Thu Mar 06, 2003 12:00 am Location: United Kingdom

Post by Kennyscrown »

MOF wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 4:13 pm

I've bought the 13" M1 Laptop. Seems to work fine.

Ah, I'm wondering about the M1 MacAir.

However, how are you doing with the lack of ports?

I'd be interested to see what other people with an M1 laptop are doing in terms of hubs? I see really mixed reviews of the hubs/docks unless you are spending £300 on one. But for me, that defeats the object, might as well just have an iMac.
Kennyscrown
Poster

Post by ManFromGlass »

M1 Air here. Yes - bit the bullet for a nice hub with a lot of connection options including Ethernet as our wireless signal is mostly crap. Buying the $400 hub was the cost of entry for us, oh right, plus the monitor adapter for the still in great condition old Apple Cinema Display, oh right, plus the 4Tb Traveller external drive, oh right, plus a 2nd 4Tb Traveller drive to backup the first one.
And
It ain’t over yet I suspect.
ManFromGlass
Longtime Poster
Posts: 6666 Joined: Sun Jul 24, 2011 12:00 am Location: O Canada

Post by MOF »

However, how are you doing with the lack of ports?

Well I don't need extra monitors, I bought the 1TB version so that I don't need external drives, except for backing up. I use a cheap basic C type adapter for usb dongles. I don't charge while using it as it uses so little power.
I bought it to take on holidays etc so I can check 4k video footage and do some composing with Logic, it's not fully loaded with all my sample libraries and plugins though.
I have an iMac 27" for work at home and do find the 13" screen a limiting factor, however I could use it with an external monitor if it was being used on a desk.
MOF
Frequent Poster
Posts: 2264 Joined: Thu Mar 06, 2003 12:00 am Location: United Kingdom

Post by MarkOne »

1TB/16GB MacBook Pro here.

Very impressed so far, but I guess I would be coming from a 2012 MBP.

I'm a little irritated by the tardiness of some plugin manufacturers in getting updates out (I get that there is recoding effort involved here but I'm missing some of my favourite instruments. It's been 9 months since the release of the platform and presumably several months more since developers got hold of dev platforms, yes I know, COVID, lockdown, etc. Still irritated)

Hopefully it will force me to do more with my hardware synths and actual programming rather than lazily pulling up an AU instrument.
MarkOne
Frequent Poster
Posts: 2738 Joined: Thu Feb 15, 2007 12:00 am Location: Bristol, England, Earth, Perseus Gap, Milky Way
My Music on Apple Music
My Music on Spotify

Post by Murray B »

I'm a little irritated by the tardiness of some plugin manufacturers in getting updates out (I get that there is recoding effort involved here but I'm missing some of my favourite instruments. It's been 9 months since the release of the platform and presumably several months more since developers got hold of dev platforms, yes I know, COVID, lockdown, etc. Still irritated)

I am no defender of the plug in manufacturers but have you tried running your Daw with the Rosetta thingy? - I have had to do this in order to use the Sienna Rooms Free Version in Logic (my first non stock plug in :shifty: ). With the Sienna Rooms plugin the system can overload momentarily if you make lots of changes to the settings during playback but otherwise remains stable. I've seen videos with other people running Logic with Rosetta and the overall limit on track / plugin count is a little smaller but otherwise nothing untoward is going on.
Murray B
Regular
Posts: 393 Joined: Mon Nov 28, 2011 12:00 am Location: Staffordshire

Post by tea for two »

Desmond (Ben) hasn't posted since May middle of.
I am aware various forumees including some mods are friends with Desmond.
I hope it's alright to enquire is Des safe and sound? No details necessary. Just a yes suffices.
tea for two
Frequent Poster

Post by Guest »

tea for two wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 5:13 pm Desmond (Ben) hasn't posted since May middle of.
I hope it's alright to enquire is Des safe and sound? No details necessary. Just a yes suffices.

He is still posting on gear space I think, so I guess he is ok.

Probably just had enough of some people here jumping down his throat while he was trying to help them.

Post by Guest »

Post by ConcertinaChap »

Some of us miss his good sense, lucid explanations and helpfulness a lot.

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Posts: 12934 Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2005 12:00 am Location: Bradford on Avon
Mr Punch's Studio
Life's a long song
but the tune ends too soon for us all

Post by Kwackman »

[ACCOUNT DELETED] wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 8:16 pmProbably just had enough of some people here jumping down his throat while he was trying to help them.

A great shame.
His help with Macs was very useful, and his knowledge of Logic was almost legendary.
I really hope he returns.
Kwackman
Frequent Poster
Posts: 3221 Joined: Thu Nov 07, 2002 12:00 am Location: Belfast
Cubase, guitars.

Post by IAA »

Yes indeed, certainly miss his knowledge and approach.
IAA
Frequent Poster

Post by tea for two »

[ACCOUNT DELETED] wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 8:16 pm
tea for two wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 5:13 pm Desmond (Ben) hasn't posted since May middle of.

He is still posting on gear space I think, so I guess he is ok.

Probably just had enough of some people here jumping down his throat while he was trying to help them.

Aaah.

I sometimes wish SoS forum had a block function just so that we can ignore posters posting things uncalled for.

Des' Mu:Zines was one of the best reads during lockdown for me.
tea for two
Frequent Poster

Post by redlester »

ConcertinaChap wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 8:24 pm Some of us miss his good sense, lucid explanations and helpfulness a lot.

CC

Amen to that. Desmond and your good self were invaluable to me when I switched to Mac a few years back, and I continued to enjoy learning from his wealth of knowledge. I really hope he returns.
redlester
Regular
Posts: 233 Joined: Fri Dec 30, 2016 4:50 pm Location: East Midlands, UK