Help me understand about "frequency response" aspects please?

For performing musicians and engineers: stagecraft, engineering and gear.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Help me understand about "frequency response" aspects please?

Post by mikehende »

Thx. I will relay this info to my bud who will be setting the frequency in the BSS processor when I receive the 22A driver.
mikehende
Regular

Post by MarkPAman »

mikehende wrote: I am hoping PA Man will see my response to his post and can as you've said give me some advice [settings] to optimize the 22A, if not then I will have my bud optimize it to the best as we can hear in the BSS.

I don't think I can help with this. Nothing we ever tried was as good as using Peavey's own preset settings though I guess we didn't spend much time trying. I believed then, as I still do now, that any good speaker manufacturer has much more time, money and better tools than I do, to throw at the design optimisation, so the best results are obtained by using what they recommend. The horn and the eq used for it are two parts of the same system.

I hope you'll be able to use the drivers' spec sheet to help get a good eq, but it's quite a complex curve you're trying to tame.
MarkPAman
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1020 Joined: Thu Apr 06, 2006 12:00 am Location: Somewhere between Portsmouth & Chichester

Post by mikehende »

MarkPAman wrote: I hope you'll be able to use the drivers' spec sheet to help get a good eq, but it's quite a complex curve you're trying to tame.

Thanks for responding and yes that is what I am having trouble with making use of and understanding the driver's specs sheet.

First, I cannot find the manual for the 22A online only the 22T so using that as the closest thing, when setting the crossover point for the original driver, it shows 500hz as the recommended crossover:

https://peavey.com/manuals/80300843.pdf

Does that mean all which needs to be done is to set the frequency response to 500 then adjust the EQ to your liking? Or since Figure 1 shows between1 and 2k as being the peak, does this mean that mean this is where the crossover point should be set please?
mikehende
Regular

Post by Sam Spoons »

You need to set the crossover point(s) for the system not for the individual drivers, the X-over point for a 15" and horn may well be different from a 10" and the same horn. In an ideal world you would have each driver only reproducing audio over the flat part of it's frequency response curve but, where the flat parts don't overlap or a driver has an anomaly somewhere the crossover point compromises have to be made. That is why 10" plus horn cabs usually sound better than 15" plus horn as the flat part of the 15's curve ends before the flat part of the horns starts (and the area in the middle often falls right at the point that affects vocals worst)
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Posts: 19592 Joined: Thu Jan 23, 2003 12:00 am Location: Manchester UK
People often mistake me for a grown-up because of my age.

Post by mikehende »

MarkPAman wrote: so the best results are obtained by using what they recommend. The horn and the eq used for it are two parts of the same system.

I hope you'll be able to use the drivers' spec sheet to help get a good eq, but it's quite a complex curve you're trying to tame.

To update on this guys, Peavey tech told me yesterday that there is no documentation anymore for the original 22A driver but I can use the specs of the 22T since all of their updated drivers in this line only differ in wattage. I should be receiving the 22A drivers today.

I would like to understand about the CD EQ situation as I have a bud scheduled to bring his Rane AC23 over to run a side by side experiment with the BSS to see which will give me the sound I prefer.

I called up Rane and the Tech could not answer any of my questions which I simply cannot understand why so I would like to ask here please. The documentation for AC23 shows that it does have the CD EQ feature but would require having to solder a capacitor on the board:

https://i.postimg.cc/RhwmGF6v/Screen-Sh ... -40-AM.png

2 THINGS I would like to know please. In my research I had come across this great article here on "How to reduce tweeter volume"

https://soundcertified.com/how-to-reduc ... er-volume/

So I am wondering if instead of tampering with the circuit board [should I get the unit] that I can maybe wire the same capacitor to the horn instead and will it give me the same result?
mikehende
Regular

Post by mikehende »

Minor update guys, just by running both the original Peavey 22A drive and the JBL D220Ti through an eq the JBL far outclasses the Peavey. Will report back if we are able to run them through the Crossovers this Sunday.
mikehende
Regular

Post by Sam Spoons »

Now I'm confused, I thought the JBL was the driver you were using when you didn't like the HF it was producing?
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Posts: 19592 Joined: Thu Jan 23, 2003 12:00 am Location: Manchester UK
People often mistake me for a grown-up because of my age.

Post by mikehende »

Sorry for any confusion, instead of going back into all details since this thread is already too long, let me summarize and refresh.

I am experimenting to get as much highs as will be possible from those peavey horns. One guy who had them told me to try getting the original driver [22A] for the horns which I now have and run them through a crossover to do CD EQ-ing as PA Man's link had suggested.

I was waiting for my buds to come here to do some experimenting with both the BSS processor and the Rane Ac23 crossover with both the Peavey and JBL drivers to see which will perform best. We are scheduled for this Sunday so will know the deal then.
mikehende
Regular

Post by mikehende »

Well guys, last night we were able to do the experimenting and finally some clarity. Running that Peavey 22A original driver for the MF1-X horns did the trick, results were far better than with the Selenium D220ti driver. We got all the frequencies of the super tweeter, we were amazed that the 40 year old 22A driver would give that performance so this issue is now very firmly settled.

Here's the thing however, we had run the system back to back through both the Rane Ac23 and the BSS Processor, it was through the Rane that we were able to get that performance out of the 22A while the BSS far outclassed the Rane on the bass. The next and final experiment hopefully on this coming Sunday will be to see if we can get the BSS to get the same performance from the 22A driver.
mikehende
Regular