Spotify white noise

Advice on everything from getting your music heard to setting up a label and royalties.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Spotify white noise

Post by Drew Stephenson »

Going back to the original point about white noise for a moment, the vexing thing is that because Spotify operates a proportional payout (not a per-stream payout), this is taking cash from actual music.
Drew Stephenson
Jedi Poster
Posts: 24450 Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:00 am Location: York
(The forumuser formerly known as Blinddrew)
Ignore the post count, I still have no idea what I'm doing...
https://drewstephenson.bandcamp.com/

Post by CS70 »

Indeed, which was the reason for which I posted it here.

Can't believe they let pass such an obvious scam! And the album has apparently millions of listens, so the money involved starts to be more than a cappuccino and croissant, so to say.
CS70
Jedi Poster
Posts: 7798 Joined: Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:00 am Location: Oslo, Norway
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Post by N i g e l »

blinddrew wrote:.... taking cash from actual music.

The noise track genre is a perfectly valid art form/sonic tool !
note: that the article uses "white noise" as a non technical term including fans, ocean waves, etc.

I have a self-composed noise track in my audio player. Pink noise from audacity & a few bass peaks added in Cakewalk. ~60s long, it loops very well indeed.
Ideal for use for sleep, masking tinitus or working in open plan offices.

Ideal for monetizing too as its short & used on repeat, day after day. Wish Id thought of that !
N i g e l
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Posts: 3663 Joined: Sun Aug 12, 2018 2:40 pm Location: British Isles

Post by CS70 »

N i g e l wrote: The noise track genre is a perfectly valid art form/sonic tool !

It's also a perfectly valid form of bs. :lol:
CS70
Jedi Poster
Posts: 7798 Joined: Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:00 am Location: Oslo, Norway
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

N i g e l wrote:I have a self-composed noise track in my audio player. Pink noise from audacity & a few bass peaks added in Cakewalk. ~60s long, it loops very well indeed.

But you have put some measure of creative process in there at least, as does most of the 'noise music' crowd.
But I really should have read the article properly - but it's hard to do when you're reading round an adblocker banner... ;)
Drew Stephenson
Jedi Poster

Post by BigRedX »

I suppose a similar concept with regard to Royalties as Vulfpeck's "Sleepify" album.

And I wish I had thought of it first as well.

I also own an electronic album on CD which is essentially 40 minutes of an extremely slowly pitch and timbre modulated bass drone.
BigRedX
Frequent Poster (Level2)
RockinRollin' VampireMan

Post by N i g e l »

blinddrew wrote: But you have put some measure of creative process in there at least, as does most of the 'noise music' crowd.

hmmm maybe my "Generate > noise > pink, 00h01m00.00s" has some creativity, perhaps more than an album version : "Generate > noise > pink, 01h14m00.00s" but less than say mic'ing the sound of rain on a caravan roof or pressing GO on a multi feedback modular patch. :)
Its beginning to sound like there is some work ethic or "struggle" required !

In the early days of downloading, when tracks were 99p & full albums £5, the track per side brigade [prog rock, rambling german electronic, etc] were at a financial disadvantage.

BigRedX wrote: I also own an electronic album on CD which is essentially 40 minutes of an extremely slowly pitch and timbre modulated bass drone.

I have a CD of blue whale noises. In the days of casette or CD you didnt need a search engine, just go straight to the bargin bin.
N i g e l
Frequent Poster (Level2)

N i g e l wrote:Its beginning to sound like there is some work ethic or "struggle" required !

Nope, but for there to be a copyright there has to be a creative aspect to the piece. No creativity, no copyright. Dems de rules.
So likewise, me just sticking a mic up in the shed on a rainy day = no copyright. Add some slow modulating drones and whales noises = copyright.
Drew Stephenson
Jedi Poster

Post by N i g e l »

This evenings PM news program on Radio 4 had a brief article on "Functional Muisc". much incredulus giggling ensued from Evan Davis.

A quick google brought up a similar article where rain sounds outstreamed Lady Gaga.

https://www.rollingstone.com/pro/featur ... a-1223911/

N i g e l
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Post by MOF »

So likewise, me just sticking a mic up in the shed on a rainy day = no copyright.

No, your recording will be copyrighted as a sound recording just as recordings from Sound Effects libraries are copyrighted.
MOF
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Posts: 2260 Joined: Thu Mar 06, 2003 12:00 am Location: United Kingdom

Sorry, to be clear, I meant no copyright on the 'composition'.
Drew Stephenson
Jedi Poster

Post by BigRedX »

As with a lot of "unconventional music" the bulk of the creativity is in the "idea" rather than the execution.

I'm sure that a lot of us here if we are being honest with ourselves would love to have come up with some of these ideas and be benefiting financially from them. If nothing else it would give us more freedom to work on the sort of music we really want to create, without having to be distracted by the constraints of a non-musical "day job".

I know I would.
BigRedX
Frequent Poster (Level2)
RockinRollin' VampireMan