Chord progression vs melody line to determine tonality

Arrangement, instrumentation, lyric writing, music theory, inspiration… it’s all here.

Moderator: Moderators

Chord progression vs melody line to determine tonality

Post by armans »

Not sure if this is the best place to ask the question but here goes anyway. I am trying to understand the relationships between chord progressions and melodies and am writing some music and came across some interesting chord progressions that left me scratching my head. If I have an ambiguous chord progression like lets say

G Em Bm Bm

Whether the sequence is in G major or Bm (natural) is unknown as the chords belong to both keys so if I write a melody abstaining the use of the C# note then the melody too would be ambiguous so the tonal centre would still be unknown. So my question is, would the note I choose to end the melody help determine what the tonal center of that part of the song is? For example, If I ended on F# then wouldn't that mean that the tonal centre of the song is more leaning towards Bm as opposed to Gmajor since the F# is a leading tone in G major and a melody wouldnt resolve there?
armans
Regular

Re: Chord progression vs melody line to determine tonality

Post by shufflebeat »

It depends on whether resolution is the goal, F# being the ∆7 of G.

This is a little bit like planning your family holiday by looking at a roadmap. There are those, of course, who see no problem with that but I would suggest they just like roadmaps more than family holidays.

Some genres are very respectful of the literature and I think this is what you're alluding to but it would be easier to judge if we knew more if the context.
shufflebeat
Longtime Poster
Posts: 9104 Joined: Sun Dec 09, 2007 12:00 am Location: Manchester, UK
“…I can tell you I don't have money, but what I do have are a very particular set of skills. Skills I have acquired over a very long career” - (folk musician, Manchester).

Post by GilesAnt »

Absolutely agree with shufflebeat

Worry about the theory later, at this stage there is nowhere near enough information to decide, and anyway don't let your music be theory-led.

What would be the benefit to you of knowing what key it is in - are you looking for related chords, or are you seeking to keep your melody with in a pre-conceived tonality? Tonal ambiguity is well worth exploring in its own right.
GilesAnt
Regular

Post by Tomás Mulcahy »

shufflebeat wrote:This is a little bit like planning your family holiday by looking at a roadmap.

Brilliant analogy :clap:
Tomás Mulcahy
Frequent Poster
Posts: 2567 Joined: Wed Apr 25, 2001 12:00 am Location: Cork, Ireland.

Post by Drew Stephenson »

To be fair, that sounds like a pretty good way of planning my holiday actually! :)
Drew Stephenson
Forum Aficionado
Posts: 24626 Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:00 am Location: York
(The forumuser formerly known as Blinddrew)
Ignore the post count, I still have no idea what I'm doing...
https://drewstephenson.bandcamp.com/