Small monitors

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Small monitors

Post by Drew Stephenson »

I think the thing to remember here is that your monitors are a tool. So the question to ask yourself is, "Are these monitors going to help me make better mixes?"
If the answer is yes, and you're happy with the price / benefit equation after listening to them, then I'd stick with them and not get sucked into any 'what if?' rabbit-holes.
Drew Stephenson
Jedi Poster
Posts: 24450 Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:00 am Location: York
(The forumuser formerly known as Blinddrew)
Ignore the post count, I still have no idea what I'm doing...
https://drewstephenson.bandcamp.com/

Post by Sam Spoons »

Pretty much what I was thinking, unless you are experienced enough to confidently assess the monitors, and have a well treated room, you may as well go with the flow if you like them. They are quality monitors capable of producing release quality mixes so, while you may find something that sounds different it seems unlikely you'll find something that results in better mixes. Keep them and learn to use them effectively.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Posts: 19590 Joined: Thu Jan 23, 2003 12:00 am Location: Manchester UK
People often mistake me for a grown-up because of my age.

Post by deejayen »

Thanks for confirming what I've been thinking. I'll speak to my normal dealer, but I suspect I'll just go for these, as I don't think I'll find anything else which will be a better fit for my requirements. As you suggest, I've got loads to learn, and it'll take me ages before I'm making decent recordings, but I think these will help steer me in the right direction.
deejayen
Poster