will these i7 "U" processors be good enough??

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

Moderator: Moderators

will these i7 "U" processors be good enough??

Post by Dmyra »

4th Generation Intel Core i7-4810MQ Processor
VS
Intel Core i7-7600U 2 x 2.8 - 3.9 GHz, Kaby Lake

Current rig
Sager NP8268
4th Generation Intel Core i7-4810MQ Processor
nVIDIA GeForce GTX 970M w/6GB GDDR5
8GB DDR3 SDRAM at 1600Mz (1 x 8GB)
512GB Samsung 850EVO mSATA SSD

How will it compare to say a midrange business dell

Dell Latitude 5480 (Latitude Series)
Intel Core i7-7600U 2 x 2.8 - 3.9 GHz, Kaby Lake
Intel HD Graphics 620, Core: 1150 MHz, Memory: 1067 MHz, 21.20.16 4574 WHQL
8096 MB DDR4-Speicher, 2X4GB,2400
Intel Kaby Lake-U Premium PCH
Storage
Toshiba SG5 256GB THNSNK256GVN8, 256 GB M.2 2280
Dmyra

Re: will these i7 "U" processors be good enough??

Post by Drew Stephenson »

Good enough for what? Without knowing how much you're going to try and run at once it's not a question anyone can answer. ;)
Drew Stephenson
Forum Aficionado
Posts: 24612 Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:00 am Location: York
(The forumuser formerly known as Blinddrew)
Ignore the post count, I still have no idea what I'm doing...
https://drewstephenson.bandcamp.com/

Post by Dmyra »

Good enough compared to the power of my current rig. It says it. maybe its unclearly worded?

good enough to keep up to my 4818hq
to which the answer is yes. it will be about 20% better give or take

Formulating the question helped me finally find what i need.
https://www.cpubenchmark.net/compare
With this i am able to understand the retardo universe of marketing hype uselful and rando indicators of potential.

Salutations :beamup:
Dmyra

Post by Drew Stephenson »

Glad you got the answer you needed even if I wasn't much help! :D
Drew Stephenson
Forum Aficionado
Posts: 24612 Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:00 am Location: York
(The forumuser formerly known as Blinddrew)
Ignore the post count, I still have no idea what I'm doing...
https://drewstephenson.bandcamp.com/

Post by uselessoldman »

MY answer is going to be slightly different. I would consider the benefit over your current system as marginal at best. DO not be fooled by so called current/newer computers systems against older ones, they are not that much better until you start spending serious money

M2 v SSD - they are the same speed both use SATA benefit of M2 its on the motherboard.
Would certainly want something bigger than 256Gb for storage 850 EVO are great SSDs, I have quite a few of them.

GPU 2Gb extra is going to make little difference GTX 970 is a good chip I have one somewhere, I upgraded it a few years back to a Vega64 cos I need another GPU so I put the better one in my main system and yes the Vega smashes the GTX 970 so it should. I would certainly not rate a Inter HD GPU against a 970

The i7 7600u and the i7 4810MQ are about the same speed (2.8 Ghz) the reason 4810 wins is it has 4 extra threads and was a good CPU back in its day certainly a better chip than the 7600 ever was. I would have the 4810 over the 7600 any day.
uselessoldman
Regular

Post by Agharta »

Dmyra wrote:Good enough to keep up to my 4818hq to which the answer is yes. it will be about 20% better give or take
Formulating the question helped me finally find what i need.
https://www.cpubenchmark.net/compare

That shows the i7-4810MQ being much faster for multi-threaded task! :shocked:
Agharta
Frequent Poster

Post by uselessoldman »

clearly the 4810 can take advantage of the extra 4 threads if an app is optimised to use them which is more common than not in modern software and hopefully you have memory installed in both banks not just one. Although this being an Audio forum I guess most will have all the memory slots filled, we always need memory !!

Usually never CPU chips are released to compliment newer chipsets that support new features, something we do not always need but it moves us up a gen or two. But when you actually compare old and new you will often realise its just an old chip rebranded, Intel AMD NVidia are all notorious for this in some way.

The only main NEW thing to hit computers over the past few years was AMD and Ryzen which destroyed obliterated anything Intel could manufacture. Currently the only advantage Intel have over AMD is their widespread implementation of Thunderbolt. Only AsRock offer it as standard on any AMD board as far s I know, and until USB4 that will stay the case. However with USB4 things will change as we move to a more standard USB socket, thankfully and about time. However this is not going to happen until next year and when it does and only when, I will upgrade all my computers, aaaugh that is going to be expensive !! I still love my FX8350s
uselessoldman
Regular

Post by thevisi0nary »

Oh man, that spec sheet is painful to look at.

Pick a budget and buy anything released in the last two years, it will be many times better and also a better long term investment.

Seriously. If your current rig works fine for your use then you should stick with what you have, but don't waste money side stepping.

https://www.cpu-monkey.com/en/compare_c ... _7600u-680
^ You can get laptops with this cpu on a relatively low budget.
thevisi0nary
New here