Any recommendations on books about "mixing"?

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Moderator: Moderators

Any recommendations on books about "mixing"?

Post by Kevin Nolan »

Wondering if there are any recommendations on excellent books on "mixing"? I'm looking for one book - a bit like Bob Katz book on Mastering - that covers the subject comprehensively and that is widely respected.

Thank!
Kevin.
Kevin Nolan
Frequent Poster

Re: Any recommendations on books about "mixing"?

Post by RichardT »

Try Mike Senior's book Mixing Secrets for the Small Studio. I learned a huge amount from it.
RichardT
Jedi Poster
Posts: 4074 Joined: Fri Aug 13, 2004 12:00 am Location: Ireland

Post by Hugh Robjohns »

That was going to be my suggestion too.
Hugh Robjohns
Posts: 38835 Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2003 12:00 am Location: Worcestershire, UK
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound...
(But generally posting my own personal views and not necessarily those of SOS, the company or the magazine!)
In my world, things get less strange when I read the manual... 

Post by Dr Huge Longjohns »

I'd highlly recommend Zen and the Art of Mixing by Mixerman. I have read a gazillion books on mixing and, for me, the problem is that most of them tell you how to work the equipment (how to set up a compressor, how to eq a kick drum etc etc) but don't tell you how to actually make a mix that makes you tap your toe or sing along ie the real musical/performance aspects of the process which, imho, are far more important than whether you use and LA2A or 1176 on the third acoustic guitar overdub.

Bob Katz's mastering book is actually a great book on mixing too because he too talks about musicality eg using a compressor to enhance the rhythmic groove.
Dr Huge Longjohns
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Posts: 3953 Joined: Thu Apr 10, 2003 12:00 am Location: Gallifrey
"The performance is 99.9% of what people hear"- J. Leckie
"It's all complete nonsense, anyone who knows what they're doing can deliver great results with whatever comes to hand" - H. Robjohns

Post by muzines »

Here's another left-field one - "Mixing With Your Mind"

The SOS Review (and website links etc):-
https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/st ... tials-0804
muzines
Jedi Poster
..............................mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio  | Legacy Logic Project Conversion

Post by Kwackman »

Not a book, but worth taking a look at Eddie's tutorials (he's from this parish), he's also available for one-on-one teaching.
https://samplecraze.com/tutorials/
Kwackman
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Posts: 3206 Joined: Thu Nov 07, 2002 12:00 am Location: Belfast
Cubase, guitars.

Post by Drew Stephenson »

Just another +1 for Mike Senior's book - and the companion 'Recording' volume.
He's also produced a set of videos that go with it and take you through the steps discussed in each chapter.
Drew Stephenson
Jedi Poster
Posts: 24445 Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:00 am Location: York
(The forumuser formerly known as Blinddrew)
Ignore the post count, I still have no idea what I'm doing...
https://drewstephenson.bandcamp.com/

Post by Trent in WA »

Another vote for the Senior book here. It is remarkably good. One thing I like about it, comparatively speaking, is that a lot of mixing books encourage you to take a kitchen-sink approach to mixing, whereas Senior's approach has you asking, at each step, "Is this processing necessary?" That's only after you've set the basic balance for your tracks. I wish I'd read it and his companion book on recording before launching into the pandemic album project I've been working on – it would've saved me a lot of time.
Trent in WA
Poster
Posts: 19 Joined: Wed Jul 12, 2006 12:00 am Location: Seattle, Washington, USA

Post by CS70 »

+1 for Mike’s book, with the caveat that I haven’t read any other! But that is a brilliant book.
CS70
Jedi Poster
Posts: 7798 Joined: Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:00 am Location: Oslo, Norway
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Post by Kevin Nolan »

Thank you for the fabulous recommendations - I'll follow them all :-)

Mike Senior's book is clearly the winner here - thanks for pointing this out !!

Cheers!
Kevin Nolan
Frequent Poster

Post by worshiptuned »

Kevin Nolan wrote:Thank you for the fabulous recommendations - I'll follow them all :-)

Cheers!

I do agree on Mike Senior's, it's the best of all!!!.

Links to illegal download site deleted - these are unauthorised copies of current copyright books and are therefore illegal. It is against the forum rules to provide links to illegal and copyrighted material.
worshiptuned
Regular

Post by Eddy Deegan »

worshiptuned wrote:
Kevin Nolan wrote:Thank you for the fabulous recommendations - I'll follow them all :-)

Cheers!

I do agree on Mike Senior's, it's the best of all!!!.

Links to illegal download site deleted - these are unauthorised copies of current copyright books and are therefore illegal. It is against the forum rules to provide links to illegal and copyrighted material.

Worshiptuned,

In addition to the edit made above, a discussion has been held by the moderation team.

After making some enquiries it has been determined that at least one author associated with the content on the site you posted is unhappy about it and will be taking the matter further with their publishing company.

This is a warning that posting links to such illegal download sites is in violation of the forum rules, one of which clearly states:

Forum Rules wrote:Copyright material must not be posted unless it is owned either by you or by this web site.

Accessing material through many links on the site you posted consitutes theft, which is a moral question you may want to ponder, especially as you say you've already downloaded a range of materials from it.

There will be no further warnings. If you post links in future to sites which violate copyright then you will be banned.
Eddy Deegan
Posts: 8736 Joined: Wed Sep 01, 2004 12:00 am Location: Brighton & Hove, UK
Some of my works | The SOS Forum Album projects