SoundID Reference

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: SoundID Reference

Post by Tomás Mulcahy »

Oh, that's a clever idea to make a null test. I thought I heard an improvement when switching between the filter types, there is less of a difference in timbre between each one in Sound ID than Reference 4. But I wasn't able to compare, so I thought maybe my hearing got worse :lol:
Tomás Mulcahy
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Posts: 2552 Joined: Wed Apr 25, 2001 12:00 am Location: Cork, Ireland.

Post by RichardT »

Tomás Mulcahy wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 10:12 pm Oh, that's a clever idea to make a null test. I thought I heard an improvement when switching between the filter types, there is less of a difference in timbre between each one in Sound ID than Reference 4. But I wasn't able to compare, so I thought maybe my hearing got worse :lol:

It probably did! But that’s true of all of us. Now I’m 60 I’m wondering how long it will be before HF loss starts interfering with my mixing….
RichardT
Jedi Poster
Posts: 4076 Joined: Fri Aug 13, 2004 12:00 am Location: Ireland

Post by Martin Walker »

Hmm... So despite online assurances that the filtering & standard profiles remain identical, several users have now confirmed that SoundID does sound slightly different from Reference 4.

Perhaps I ought to rethink about upgrading.

Martin
Martin Walker
Posts: 20599 Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:44 am Location: Cornwall, UK

Post by Freelance Subversive »

I appreciate this may be a remarkably stupid question, so please bear with me.

Does an upgrade license for SoundID invalidate the Reference 4 license?

I have a machine which can’t be upgraded, but I still mix on and therefore would like to retain Reference 4. I’d like to upgrade my main machine to SoundID, although don’t want to risk affecting a perfectly functional location set up with Reference 4, by invalidating its license. I can’t justify another full license, even at the temporarily favourable prices.

Thanks!
Freelance Subversive
Poster

Post by Aled Hughes »

Freelance Subversive wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 3:06 pm I appreciate this may be a remarkably stupid question, so please bear with me.

Does an upgrade license for SoundID invalidate the Reference 4 license?

I have a machine which can’t be upgraded, but I still mix on and therefore would like to retain Reference 4. I’d like to upgrade my main machine to SoundID, although don’t want to risk affecting a perfectly functional location set up with Reference 4, by invalidating its license. I can’t justify another full license, even at the temporarily favourable prices.

Thanks!

You get to keep the original Reference 4 license and activations when you upgrade to SoundID, so you should be ok!
Aled Hughes
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1733 Joined: Tue Oct 24, 2006 12:00 am Location: Pwllheli, Cymru

Post by Tomás Mulcahy »

I could not do that with my upgrade. Traded one for the other. But mine's an educational license.

Best to ask tech support about it first.
Tomás Mulcahy
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Post by Aled Hughes »

Tomás Mulcahy wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 5:39 pm I could not do that with my upgrade. Traded one for the other. But mine's an educational license.

I’ve just sorted some confusion with them where I had tried to upgrade my license for the 2nd time since I could still the original Reference 4 license in my account.
They stated:

A key can only be used for upgrade input one time

After a Reference 4 > SoundID Reference upgrade, the Reference 4 key remains in the account (we leave the original R4 key in place, as it can be used)
Aled Hughes
Frequent Poster

Post by Tomás Mulcahy »

That's really useful to know thank you.
Tomás Mulcahy
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Aled Hughes wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 3:20 pm You get to keep the original Reference 4 license and activations when you upgrade to SoundID, so you should be ok!

Thanks Aled, that’s a relief. Given their returns policy, the only risk is with exchange rates.
Freelance Subversive
Poster

Tomás Mulcahy wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 5:39 pm I could not do that with my upgrade. Traded one for the other. But mine's an educational license.

Interesting. For an individual wishing to use more than a single machine, a normal license still provides better value.

Quite right about asking support first... Mea maxima culpa!
Freelance Subversive
Poster

Post by Aled Hughes »

Freelance Subversive wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 4:51 am

Interesting. For an individual wishing to use more than a single machine, a normal license still provides better value.

You can activate a single license on 3 machines, so that may be enough for you anyway?
Aled Hughes
Frequent Poster

Post by Tomás Mulcahy »

Freelance Subversive wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 4:51 am

True, I must say I am happy with the value I am getting. They're also super supportive for my Institute's licensing. Excellent service from them.
Tomás Mulcahy
Frequent Poster (Level2)