Akai DPS24 ADAT expansion card woes: no audio

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Moderator: Moderators

Akai DPS24 ADAT expansion card woes: no audio

Post by Anthony gilbert »

Hi everyone, first post and starting with a long-shot, but here goes:

Problem: Akai DPS24 ADAT expansion card. Recognised by system, accepts ADAT optical sync, but no audio in or out.

I've had the DPS24 for over 10 years and still enjoy using it. It's primary function is now as a mixing desk using the onboard ADAT for essentially 8-channel "passthrough" to an RME <Digiface USB> ADAT interface to my MacBook and Logic.

I now want to go to 24-channel passthrough, as the RME has 4 ADAT ports.
I've added the Akai IB-24ADT 16-channel ADAT I/O card, which is detected by the DPS24 as I now have 24 channels displaying in the various patching / routing screens.

The problem is I get no audio - either in or out. I have spent the last year (I know) trying to get this to work. Items covered:
  • Various tests concerning optical sync. It can sync to an input on either ADAT 9-16 or 17-24 in setup.
    I have cleaned the connector using expansive Deoxit.
    I have performed basic functional tests on the expansion card, including the onboard 3v3 and 2v5 regulators, and capacitor and resistor short / open circuit.
I have even looked for a second ADAT expansion, including a "Wanted" advert in SOS readers ads.

Time then to ask if anyone has had experience with the DPS24 ADAT expansion card?
  • Anything similar?
    ADAT IB-24ADT card to sell?
    Do you have a DPS24 and are happy to plugin my expansion card to test?
Any help very much appreciated!
Anthony gilbert
Poster

Re: Akai DPS24 ADAT expansion card woes: no audio

Post by FrankF »

Some obvious stuff:
Have you set up a custom patch preset in the PATCH menu?

Are you getting "error...audio muted" messages? See above!

I had mine set up with 2 audio interfaces a couple of years ago, and it worked fine, so I can't see what the problem is. Oh yes, there's also an option in SETUP, but I'm guessing you've tweaked that already.

When you say that the ADAT card is "recognised", how do you mean? I could have a look at mine to see if there's any difference.
Feel free to PM me with some screen shots if you think it will help.
FrankF
Regular
Posts: 450 Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2002 12:00 am Location: La Vendée, France

Thanks Frank for your quick response - I didn't hold much hope!

To answer your questions:
Have you set up a custom patch preset in the PATCH menu?
Yes. The patch menu is essentially where I have determined the expansion card is recognised, as it provides the option of ADAT channels 9-24.

I have created a custom patch, and have also tried the preset "24 track ADAT transfer".

Are you getting "error...audio muted" messages? See above!
No, I can enter the setup menu >Digital Sync, and successfully sync to ADAT 9-16 or ADAT 17-24 inputs.

With the expansion card removed, these options disappear in the patch menu, and of course no sync, with the usual "error...audio mute" message...
Anthony gilbert
Poster

Post by James Perrett »

One basic thing that sometimes catches me out - are you using the same sample rate in the DPS24 as the external input? What clock source are you using?
James Perrett
Posts: 14250 Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2001 12:00 am Location: The wilds of Hampshire
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Post by FrankF »

Ah yes, James has reminded me of another "tweak": when I had both the Behringer and Focusrite i/fs connected, one of them would only work as Master (can't remember which one).

That was with 2x8 out interfaces - are you using just one or more than one interface together?
FrankF
Regular
Posts: 450 Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2002 12:00 am Location: La Vendée, France

James Perrett wrote:One basic thing that sometimes catches me out - are you using the same sample rate in the DPS24 as the external input? What clock source are you using?

Hi James, thanks for your interest and help.

Over the last 12 months I have tried internal and external sync options covering both inputs and outputs, samples rates and bit depths.

The 2x most basic tests I have used for input testing are as follows:

1) Use built-in DPS24 ADAT as an output to ADAT expansion input. DPS24 Internal clock, 44.1khz, 16-bit. That in my mind should be the most basic of tests using the DPS24 clock and most basic sample rate settings.

2) DPS24 Patch Preset 24 track ADAT transfer. I arm all the tracks. I have an input clocked to the DPS24 internal clock. I have audio playing and plug an optical cable into the built-in ADAT input channel 1: it works and I hear audio. I then take the same optical cable and plug into the ADAT expansion card, no audio.

I have also tried more complex tests on outputs using internal and external sync.
Anthony gilbert
Poster

Just to add: I would be happy to post the card to anyone who can test it.
Anthony gilbert
Poster

Post by forumuser840717 »

It's several years since I had a DPS24 but I used to have two of my own and look after three others for a local hopsital radio station that used them as location recorders and as production workstations. They all had the ADAT expansion, LTC and SCSI options fitted and all worked fine with either external mic preamps or HD24/XR machines feeding 24 channels to their ADAT inputs. Which doesn't help you.

So, if your DPS24 sees the ADAT expansion card and shows the extra 16 channels i/o iin it's patch setup, and it will sync to any ADAT input, including those on the expansion card then that suggests that the card is working (though it could be fibbing!) but some random thoughts:

I guess from you mention of wanting to increase your channel count, that you can send 8 channels of audio from the RME to the DPS24 using the DPS24's internal ADAT port?

If so, have you tried taking that ADAT link, which you know is good and working, into one of the expansion board's ports (and, of course, selecting that as the clock source)?
forumuser840717
Regular

Anthony gilbert wrote: Over the last 12 months I have tried internal and external sync options covering both inputs and outputs, samples rates and bit depths.

The 2x most basic tests I have used for input testing are as follows:

1) Use built-in DPS24 ADAT as an output to ADAT expansion input. DPS24 Internal clock, 44.1khz, 16-bit. That in my mind should be the most basic of tests using the DPS24 clock and most basic sample rate settings.

2) DPS24 Patch Preset 24 track ADAT transfer. I arm all the tracks. I have an input clocked to the DPS24 internal clock. I have audio playing and plug an optical cable into the built-in ADAT input channel 1: it works and I hear audio. I then take the same optical cable and plug into the ADAT expansion card, no audio.

I have also tried more complex tests on outputs using internal and external sync.

Re. your testing scenarios, I'm wondering whether you have a clocking issue:

1. I never tried it but I'm fairly sure that looping the DPS24's clock from it's ADAT out to the expansion card's ADAT in isn't helpful as the unit needs either to clock from it's internal clock or, in this instance, one of it's ADAT inputs. If you patch the output to an input and try to sync to it, you'll likely get a clock loop which is very rarely a good thing as the DPS24 will try to chase itself. Far better to take a known working ADAT source and try that into each ADAT input in turn. If it works as a clock (and audio) source into the DPS24 internal ADAT input then it should work as a clock (and audio) source when plugged into the Expansion card's ADAT inputs (you'll need to set the DPS24 clock source to the appropriate ADAT input too).

2. You say " I have an input clocked to the DPS24 internal clock." An input of what? The RME?
If the DPS is locked to it's internal clock then the RME will need to be locked to an ADAT return from the DPS24 - which will (or should) work fine. However, if the DPS24 is set to Internal and the RME is not locked to the same clock (via an ADAT return) e.g. it is also set to internal then you have a problem.
forumuser840717
Regular

forumuser840717 wrote:
If so, have you tried taking that ADAT link, which you know is good and working, into one of the expansion board's ports (and, of course, selecting that as the clock source)?

Yes, and it also strikes me as a robust test for the reasons you have given.

Thanks for your help on this. 3x DPS24 for hospital radio location and production workstations sounds impressive - well above what I would have imagined.

It's a very strange fault, and I do wonder about the DPS24 itself as being the fault. The expansion cards plug into a separate PCB on the DPS24 which has small interconnections back to the main PCB:
J201 (20-way), J202 (26-way), and J203 (28-way).

That's a lot of connections - and possibly we are seeing the data-bus and addresses connections working required for detection and clock sync, but another connection failing on the audio side - albeit this would be digital (data) connection at this stage.

I don't have the other option cards, otherwise I would know more about the idea above being valid - given they share the same data-bus and addresses connections.
Anthony gilbert
Poster

Another vague memory is that "DPS24 Patch Preset 24 track ADAT transfer." has some odd features. Iirr, it's a special patch that routes all ADAT input channels directly to the Disk Record Sources for Tracks 1-24, and the DPS24's Tracks 1-24 to the 24 ADAT output channels. I vaguely remember (and could well be wrong about this) that In this mode, the inputs go direct to the Tracks (Track Record Sources) and not via the mixer, with the 24 recorder tracks going to the ADAT outputs via the mixer. There was also something about needing 24TK RECORD mode switched off for "24TK ADAT Transfer" to work or the last four channel outputs don't happen to the ADAT outputs.

Have you tried using one of the 'normal' routing setups (with 24TK RECORD turned on if you want to record 24 tracks)?
forumuser840717
Regular

forumuser840717 wrote: If the DPS is locked to it's internal clock then the RME will need to be locked to an ADAT return from the DPS24 - which will (or should) work fine.

Thanks again. This is a good point, and worth covering below:

Sync results
ADAT Inputs
The onboard ADAT input will sync successfully to an external clock.
The ADAT expansion input will also sync to an external clock.

All seemingly OK. but...

ADAT outputs
My RME (using the onscreen Fireface application) detects the internal clock of the DPS24 coming from the onboard ADAT output.
The RME doesn't detect the internal clock of the DPS24 coming from the expansion ADAT output.

***breaking*** something I have overlooked. The red-LEDs of the expansion DATA output (TOSLINK) ports flash on for the first few seconds of boot up. Afterwhich they go off and stay off. If there isn't any optical port LEDs, then surely cannot be any valid output?

This doesn't explain the lack of function when it comes to INPUTs, but certainly points to a fault with the OUTPUT ports.

Can I ask if anyone has the same? Do your expansion OUTPUT ADAT/TOSLINK ports flash for 3-5 seconds on DPS24 boot, and then they go off and stay off?

The lack of red-light on the output ports is possibly something quite tangible and a pointer... I think we're looking at faulty hardware somewhere - could be the card or DPS24 itself.
Anthony gilbert
Poster