Audiothingies Micromonsta 2

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Audiothingies Micromonsta 2

Post by Kwackman »

Hi Elf,
Just to add- I made a posting here, and closed my browser, then re-opened, located the post and successfully deleted it....
Kwackman
Frequent Poster
Posts: 3222 Joined: Thu Nov 07, 2002 12:00 am Location: Belfast
Cubase, guitars.

Post by The Elf »

Yeah, I think I sussed it - use the button above, not the tick box in the edit screen.
The Elf
Forum Aficionado
Posts: 20053 Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2001 12:00 am Location: Sheffield, UK
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Post by Hugh Robjohns »

Agreed. The tick box in the edit window isn't working, but the cross button in the post itself does. I'll flag it up...
Hugh Robjohns
Posts: 39030 Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2003 12:00 am Location: Worcestershire, UK
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound...
(But generally posting my own personal views and not necessarily those of SOS, the company or the magazine!)
In my world, things get less strange when I read the manual... 

Post by The Elf »

Hugh Robjohns wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 11:00 am Agreed. The tick box in the edit window isn't working, but the cross button in the post itself does. I'll flag it up...

Thanks. Feel free to clean up this thread, if it's felt necessary.
The Elf
Forum Aficionado

Post by Guest »

So I have messed around with my Micromoster 2 a bit now.

For the money I think it a bit of a steal.

As I said before the MPE implementation is very good, even in Combo mode everything works fine, and mono patches work fine, all very good.

The hardware seems very good, everything seems pretty high quality apart from the terrible screen.

Sounds good to me as well, I am not an Analog purist though, my favourite synths are all digital (apart from the PEK, that is quite nice).

If I was going to change anything though:

The main issue I have is I am always looking for page 2 of the parameters. Limiting everything to four parameters makes sense in a way as you have four knobs and it makes it simple, but you also have an "Alt button", so why not make use of it and have eight parameters where needed.

Having FM oscillators on osc 2 as well as osc 1 would be good.

Another envelope or two would also be welcome.

The Drive parameters only really make sense at their lowest settings, so evening these out would be good.

Overall though highly recommended, anyone that likes synths should get one.

Post by The Elf »

I'm about to expand my MIDI Designer editor Layout, and I'm aware that there's a standalone and VST editor in progress, so editing may become much easier very soon.
The Elf
Forum Aficionado

Post by Guest »

Sounds good, I have Midi Designer here so would be interested in that.

I think they did a pretty good design for editing on the box though, considering the number of knobs available!

Post by The Elf »

In case it's of use to anyone who reads this thread...

Now that the new version of MIDI Designer Pro is out in the wild I can also release an improved version of my MicroMonsta 2 Layout.

This version will accept sys-ex patch dumps from the MM2, allowing any patch to be analysed and edited.

A few things to note:
The patch name and category are for display purposes only - editing these will still have to be achieved on the MM2 itself.
Some of the controls on the Layout will not be 100% accurate to the numeric parameter value in the MM2. This is due to the MM2 and MDP not completely agreeing on the translation of MIDI values. On the whole this shouldn't be wildly inaccurate, but it is important to be aware.
Use at your own risk.

I'll host the Layout in my Dropbox for a while, but hopefully it will make its way to other respositories:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/gqqpux79p7d3w ... igner?dl=0
The Elf
Forum Aficionado

Post by BillB »

blinddrew wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 3:45 pm You can also buy small, angled prisms for this purpose.

Sorry to dig this up from last year, Drew - can you link to any available examples? I am not sure precisely what to search for.
BillB
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1915 Joined: Mon Apr 07, 2003 12:00 am Location: East Yorkshire

Post by Guest »

I just got an email saying the MM 2 is coming back into stock, just a heads up for anyone interested in getting one.

I'll be getting a second one!

Post by Drew Stephenson »

BillB wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 11:26 am
blinddrew wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 3:45 pm You can also buy small, angled prisms for this purpose.

Sorry to dig this up from last year, Drew - can you link to any available examples? I am not sure precisely what to search for.

Sorry BillB, I missed this when you posted it and vexingly I'm afraid I can't find any examples nor the original article I read. :(
Drew Stephenson
Forum Aficionado
Posts: 24655 Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:00 am Location: York
(The forumuser formerly known as Blinddrew)
Ignore the rumours that I might have an idea what I'm doing...
https://drewstephenson.bandcamp.com/

Post by The Elf »

[ACCOUNT DELETED] wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 10:32 am I just got an email saying the MM 2 is coming back into stock, just a heads up for anyone interested in getting one.

I'll be getting a second one!

I got the email too and have have let a few people know. I already got my second!

The MM2 has become an important device for me, having essentially replaced my Oberheim Xpander. it does great impressions of my old MKS-70 and MKS-80 too - and I'm now pondering whether to also move those on.
The Elf
Forum Aficionado

Post by BigRedX »

It looks really interesting especially if it can replace all those modules mentioned by The Elf. However the front panel doesn't look particularly user-friendly given the modulation complexity and I can't see any mention of a computer editor for it in the manual. Also I'm still to convinced of the practicality of mini-connectors on stage.
BigRedX
Frequent Poster
RockinRollin' VampireMan

Post by The Elf »

Mini connectors are the worst of it, I agree. I'd have balanced jacks on there if it were up to me. You have to see it in context of price, though.

Editing is actually pretty simple, but I created my own MIDI Designer Layout for it, which does well enough for me.
The Elf
Forum Aficionado

Post by resistorman »

The Elf wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 12:56 pm The MM2 has become an important device for me, having essentially replaced my Oberheim Xpander. it does great impressions of my old MKS-70 and MKS-80 too - and I'm now pondering whether to also move those on.

That says a lot about it! You'd get a nice amount of money for the Rolands.
resistorman
Frequent Poster
Posts: 2693 Joined: Sun Nov 22, 2015 12:00 am Location: Asheville NC
"The Best" piece of gear is subjective.

Post by Guest »

The design of the front panel/editing presets is not that bad once you get used to it, all in all I would say it is very well designed considering the amount of physical controls.

You do have to do a bit of "repeated button pressing" to get at the more esoteric parameters, but in general it is pretty easy to program.

I don't like to be too positive about anything as it is not in my nature but the MM2 is a gem.

Post by The Elf »

resistorman wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 6:52 pmYou'd get a nice amount of money for the Rolands.

Yes, that's what everyone says, but the reality is somewhat different. When I was selling my Jupiter-8 I was told by many people much they go for - I received nowhere even close. Not even halfway.

I think the prices we believe these old synths go for and what they *actually* change hands for are two vastly different things.
The Elf
Forum Aficionado

Post by t-sun »

With my other hobby of vintage computers, one issue is that some sellers are used to selling to corporate partners who need very specific parts for business-critical hardware and some years ago they decided to start selling them on ebay to the rest of us at those same prices. Because they can just leave the auctions running forever and have no expectation of actual sales (a sale is a nice bonus compared to the corporate upkeep buyers), they can be inflexible.

In synth terms, it's like any music shop that knows they got the kit for a bargain, but also knows they don't need to shift it right away and can wait for the right big fish to buy it. That bumps up the perceived price for everyone, and meanwhile the more person-to-person (as opposed to advertised online) market is down to earth, until every lunatic on craigslist thinks their casiotone is worth a thousand bucks.

Anyway, I was on the list for the last batch in Feb but missed it at the time. This time I didn't get an email, so I assume I was auto-removed and didn't realize it? Oh well, not the best time to be splurging on more gear anyway.
t-sun
Regular

Post by Guest »

The basics seem to be you look on the Website on a Monday, that is when there may be stock to order.

Also you can register for notification again and they will email you on Monday if there is stock.

Post by Arpangel »

The Elf wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 8:09 pm
resistorman wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 6:52 pmYou'd get a nice amount of money for the Rolands.

Yes, that's what everyone says, but the reality is somewhat different. When I was selling my Jupiter-8 I was told by many people much they go for - I received nowhere even close. Not even halfway.

I think the prices we believe these old synths go for and what they *actually* change hands for are two vastly different things.

My attitude now is keep it unless you’re in big trouble, prices are crazy, unpredictable, but predictably low in some cases, especially when you’re selling.
Hardly anyone, apart from a few extremely rich buyers, are buying anything, and if "normal" people are, they want it for an amount that basically just isn’t worth selling it for.
You reach a certain time in your life when you may as well just hold on to stuff, things like Jupiter 8’s, why would I want to sell one of those? it’s something that is just nice to have, and it won’t go down in value, but if you don’t intend to sell it doesn’t matter.
I’ve got a few items in the basement that aren’t getting used, nice things, but I can’t give them away, it’s a mad time, you can’t buy new stuff as it’s dried up, the whole business of buying gear gives the impression it's slowly grinding to a halt.
Places like Sound Gas seem to sell stuff, but to who? who pays those prices?
It’s like the gap between the rich and the poor, getting wider, it’s the same with music gear, it’s there if you want it, but at a price. Meanwhile I’ll stick to trawling the local charity shops.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster