Hybrid Mixing

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Moderator: Moderators

Hybrid Mixing

Post by Howdy Doody Time »

I must say I'm really enjoying this. I have a Midas Verona being fed 48 tracks from 2 Radars via 48 analog cables or 24 tracks from one Radar via 3 ADAT opticals, or directly from Nuendo via RME Digiface.

It's delightful! I can just use the Midas EQ and faders, or I can use Waves and/or UAD before I send to Midas, and I can take the results from Midas and send them to the SSL Six for the G Series Bus Compressor.

Do I have any idea what I'm doing?

No sir, I do not. But it is super fun anyway, and besides there's nobody here but me, so who cares! But one thing for sure is, all these little 8 fader midi control surfaces with their switchable fader banks and reluctance to work properly with some of your DAWS - well they are no match for the immediacy of 48 channels of real mixing desk.

I'm sure there are more ways to include the SSL Six than sending a stereo signal to it but I'm also sure it's going to be more fun finding out. Happy Days!!
Howdy Doody Time
Frequent Poster
Posts: 806 Joined: Sun Jan 18, 2009 12:00 am Location: Huai Yai, Chon Buri, Siam
The only excuse we have for making music in the first place is to make it differently..vis-a-vis our own difference (Glenn Gould)

Re: Hybrid Mixing

Post by Eddy Deegan »

I love the convenience of in-the-box mixing but I know exactly what you mean about laying hands on proper faders and still miss my big old analogue 24x8x2 desk even though the lack of automation was a serious challenge when it came to mixing my stuff.

Glad to hear you've got a hybrid system you're so comfortable with, and I'm a little bit jealous. I have medium term plans to add a big digital desk into my environment at some point later this year but not until I've spent a while working in the new studio space I'm currently building :-)
Eddy Deegan
Posts: 8736 Joined: Wed Sep 01, 2004 12:00 am Location: Brighton & Hove, UK
Some of my works | The SOS Forum Album projects  

Post by n o i s e f l e ur »

What DAW do you mix in Eddy?
n o i s e f l e ur
Regular

Post by RichardT »

Eddy Deegan wrote:I love the convenience of in-the-box mixing but I know exactly what you mean about laying hands on proper faders and still miss my big old analogue 24x8x2 desk even though the lack of automation was a serious challenge when it came to mixing my stuff.

Glad to hear you've got a hybrid system you're so comfortable with, and I'm a little bit jealous. I have medium term plans to add a big digital desk into my environment at some point later this year but not until I've spent a while working in the new studio space I'm currently building :-)

How is that going btw, Eddy?
RichardT
Jedi Poster
Posts: 4074 Joined: Fri Aug 13, 2004 12:00 am Location: Ireland

Post by James Perrett »

While I don't usually bother to go out of the box once things are in it, I do enjoy messing around with the mix on the mixer as I'm transferring multitracks. Just being able to bring up a quick mix in a matter of moments is something that is very difficult to do if you don't have a 24 channel control surface.
James Perrett
Posts: 14250 Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2001 12:00 am Location: The wilds of Hampshire
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Post by Eddy Deegan »

RichardT wrote:
Eddy Deegan wrote:... the new studio space I'm currently building :-)

Steady progress... I'll be posting an update on the topic in "DIY Electronics & Studio Design" in a week or two :thumbup:
Eddy Deegan
Posts: 8736 Joined: Wed Sep 01, 2004 12:00 am Location: Brighton & Hove, UK
Some of my works | The SOS Forum Album projects  

Post by Howdy Doody Time »

Eddy Deegan wrote:
RichardT wrote:
Eddy Deegan wrote:... the new studio space I'm currently building :-)

Steady progress... I'll be posting an update on the topic in "DIY Electronics & Studio Design" in a week or two :thumbup:

I'll look out for that. I'm building a house here with considerably more studio room. I need to be careful about spreading out and potentially losing some of the benefits of being close to everything.
Howdy Doody Time
Frequent Poster
Posts: 806 Joined: Sun Jan 18, 2009 12:00 am Location: Huai Yai, Chon Buri, Siam
The only excuse we have for making music in the first place is to make it differently..vis-a-vis our own difference (Glenn Gould)