Behringer ARP 2500

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Moderator: Moderators

Behringer ARP 2500

Post by Arpangel »

I’m a bit concerned about my decision to get these modules, after watching Tim Shoebridge
reviewing the Syntrx, the filter distorted at very low levels, he also said the same thing about the 2500 filters, I’m also having issues with the 2500 envelope generators, they are very "clicky" I’ve tried different VCA's, everything else, settings etc, it’s difficult to get rid of.
This, along with this filter issue is putting me off continuing.
Just wondering if any other people have had similar experiences with these things.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Re: Behringer ARP 2500

Post by The Elf »

Everything you've just said up there makes me want them more.

A 'clicky' envelope is a fast one = perfect. Avoiding the click is just a small knob-tweak away. It bothers me not a jot. This idea of 'clicky' envelopes being somehow a problem is a pretty new phenomenon. Where would MiniMoog and Pro-One basses be without lightning fast envelopes? I'd happily buy them from you, but my own are (supposedly) about to land.

The Behringer Poly D has a 'thump' at the fastest settings - which is far worse, and not something I've heard on any other synth. Now that *is* a problem, but a small tweak fixes it.

And a filter that distorts early is a good tool for the armoury. Avoiding said distortion is just about setting levels sensibly.

I see nothing in any of this to cause concern.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
Posts: 19937 Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2001 12:00 am Location: Sheffield, UK
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Post by Arpangel »

The Elf wrote:Everything you've just said up there makes me want them more.

A 'clicky' envelope is a fast one = perfect. Avoiding the click is just a small knob-tweak away. It bothers me not a jot. This idea of 'clicky' envelopes being somehow a problem is a pretty new phenomenon. Where would MiniMoog and Pro-One basses be without lightning fast envelopes? I'd happily buy them from you, but my own are (supposedly) about to land.

The Behringer Poly D has a 'thump' at the fastest settings - which is far worse, and not something I've heard on any other synth. Now that *is* a problem, but a small tweak fixes it.

And a filter that distorts early is a good tool for the armoury. Avoiding said distortion is just about setting levels sensibly.

I see nothing in any of this to cause concern.

There is also a definite "thump" from these EG's too, it’s not good, I can’t seem to completely remove it, only at extreme settings.
I’m glad I found out about these things, it’s not that important, as I’m mainly interested in the random modules, and oscillators, this EG is going to be pretty bad for me though, I won’t sell it, as it’s worth virtually nothing, that’s the trouble with Behringer gear.
I never use distorted filters, I hate it when my Moog mixer distorts, I like clean spacey filters, like the original EMS, the Verbos Dual Four Pole is great for this too.
I used to like the sound of the Doepfer A120, but production seems variable, and one that a
I bought recently distorts quite badly at low levels.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Post by Arpangel »

Elf, if I don’t get on with this EG, give me a few days to persevere, you can have it, free gratis, it’s not worth selling, I’ll keep you posted.

:thumbup:
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Post by The Elf »

Arpangel wrote:Elf, if I don’t get on with this EG, give me a few days to persevere, you can have it, free gratis, it’s not worth selling, I’ll keep you posted.

:thumbup:

Wow! That's dashed kind of you. :blush:

Today I've been told my order is delayed yet again. I need to find out which part of the order is holding the rest up. Odd, because everything in the list is being reported as in stock.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
Posts: 19937 Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2001 12:00 am Location: Sheffield, UK
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Post by Guido3 »

Arpangel wrote:Elf, if I don’t get on with this EG, give me a few days to persevere, you can have it, free gratis, it’s not worth selling, I’ll keep you posted.

:clap: Good man. I like when people do things like this. I've done it a couple of times to keep the good Karma going!!
Guido3
Frequent Poster
Posts: 665 Joined: Tue Dec 23, 2003 12:00 am Location: Derbyshire
They say you are what you eat but I don't remember eating a f**king legend!

Post by Ben Asaro »

Snappy EGs are awesome!
Ben Asaro
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Posts: 2357 Joined: Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:00 am Location: NYC

Post by Arpangel »

Ben Asaro wrote:Snappy EGs are awesome!

They’re OK when you can control if they snap or not!
I got some good results from it, though, yesterday, it didn’t click at all, made an amazingly desolate "Radiophonic" patch from my Jupiter Storm, the soundtrack to a Hieronimus Bosch painting, like being on a battlefield, I’m scared to un-patch it, I’ll never get it again.
Jupiter Storm, modular by a random noise generator, and triggered by Lifeforms sequencer controlling the 2500 EG, all put through my Zoom CD-R70.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Post by Dan LB »

Arpangel wrote: I’m scared to un-patch it, I’ll never get it again.

I hate that feeling! :lol: I’ve found that, for me, the answer is to just record it and then move on.
Dan LB
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1668 Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 12:00 am Location: Wicklow, Ireland

Post by Arpangel »

Dan LB wrote:
Arpangel wrote: I’m scared to un-patch it, I’ll never get it again.

I hate that feeling! :lol: I’ve found that, for me, the answer is to just record it and then move on.

That’s exactly it, my computer is full of clips that get recorded on the modular, they then turn into an album!

:)
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Post by BJG145 »

Arpangel wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 8:42 am I’m a bit concerned about my decision to get these modules, after watching Tim Shoebridge reviewing the Syntrx

I just came across a review by Tim running the Behringer 100 system in a Waldorf KB37.

https://youtu.be/ui506gp5Ry0

That would be lovely with the 2500 set in it. I could go for that.
BJG145
Jedi Poster

Post by Arpangel »

BJG145 wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 7:59 am
Arpangel wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 8:42 am I’m a bit concerned about my decision to get these modules, after watching Tim Shoebridge reviewing the Syntrx

I just came across a review by Tim running the Behringer 100 system in a Waldorf KB37.

https://youtu.be/ui506gp5Ry0

That would be lovely with the 2500 set in it. I could go for that.

Unfortunately there’s not enough room to take a full compliment of modules in that keyboard, I don’t like spitting moduies up into makes, or instruments, I group functions together, it’s quicker to get around, and I use less cables that way, it suits me.
I always plan my modular to work well with the most used modules, placing multiples in the most efficient positions, near destinations, not near sources.
I’ve got all the ARP modules now, except for the sequencer and mixer, I’m running two oscillators.
The System 100 I’ve got a couple, but I’m putting that on hold until I get another Doepfer case.
I had a weird moment just now, I thought "what are you going on about?"
I tried to imagine I’m a Cellist, I’m thinking what would I find to talk about on a forum? Ah! you’ll never believe what I’ve just bought? a new set of strings! and this new case, it’s carbon fibre, makes going to gigs a hell of a lot easier.

:D
Arpangel
Jedi Poster