New SOS Forum: clear Cookies & Cache

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Moderator: Moderators

New SOS Forum: clear Cookies & Cache

Post by Forum Admin »

Hi Members,

The new SOS Forum software went live around 9am today, 30 June 2021.

If you are having problems logging in, please clear SOS Cookies from your browser and empty your Cache. This fixes things for most people as it removes the old Forum cookies.

Please note: the Forum is not playing well (yet) with the Brave browser unless you do a fresh install of Brave.
Forum Admin
Posts: 4291 Joined: Mon Jul 21, 2003 11:00 pm Location: A studio deep in the fenlands of Cambridgeshire, UK
Search 16,966 SOS Reviews+Techniques articles: www.soundonsound.com/search
SOS Podcasts

Re: New SOS Forum: clear Cookies & Cache

Post by Dynamic Mike »

That worked for me. Looking good so far
Dynamic Mike
Frequent Poster
Keeping 2 Chevrons apart

Post by Hugh Robjohns »

Forum Admin wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 11:19 amPlease note: the Forum is not playing well (yet) with the Brave browser unless you do a fresh install of Brave.

Clearing cookies and the cache in Brave cured all problems for me (on PC/Win10). No need for a fresh install.
Hugh Robjohns
Posts: 39024 Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2003 12:00 am Location: Worcestershire, UK
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound...
(But generally posting my own personal views and not necessarily those of SOS, the company or the magazine!)
In my world, things get less strange when I read the manual... 

Post by Sam Spoons »

I've just done that and no change here :(
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Posts: 19730 Joined: Thu Jan 23, 2003 12:00 am Location: Manchester UK
People often mistake me for a grown-up because of my age.

Post by bobcharest »

My problem is that I can't login through Tapatalk. IThe message says that my ID doesn't exist. no problem through my desktop browser.
bobcharest
New here

Post by Forum Admin »

bobcharest wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 1:27 am My problem is that I can't login through Tapatalk. The message says that my ID doesn't exist. no problem through my desktop browser.

It's mentioned elsewhere in the Feedback topic "New forum format" but Tapatalk plug-in is not (yet) working with this new forum software. We're waiting for response from their tech team regarding their API connection.
Forum Admin
Posts: 4291 Joined: Mon Jul 21, 2003 11:00 pm Location: A studio deep in the fenlands of Cambridgeshire, UK
SOS Podcasts

Post by ef37a »

"Cookie clearing" fixed it for me in Firefox and all seems well'ish. Took me SOME time to find 'active topics"!

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster
Posts: 16543 Joined: Mon May 29, 2006 12:00 am Location: northampton uk

Post by Forum Admin »

ef37a wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 11:29 am "Cookie clearing" fixed it for me in Firefox and all seems well'ish.

Great. :thumbup:

Took me SOME time to find 'active topics"!

Dave.

It's in the big grey LATEST POSTS button in the secondary nav bar at the top of every Forum page, where it's always been.

You can also click on the red chevron in a circle button when on the Forum topic listing page.

Hope you are liking the increased text contrast (now almost black text) - we did it just for you Dave. ;-)
Forum Admin
SOS Podcasts

Post by ef37a »

Forum Admin wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 11:48 am
ef37a wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 11:29 am "Cookie clearing" fixed it for me in Firefox and all seems well'ish.

Great. :thumbup:

Took me SOME time to find 'active topics"!

Dave.

It's in the big grey LATEST POSTS button in the secondary nav bar at the top of every Forum page, where it's always been.

You can also click on the red chevron in a circle button when on the Forum topic listing page.

Hope you are liking the increased text contrast (now almost black text) - we did it just for you Dave. ;-)

Yes, better thanks. Are we on the same page tho'but? I used to go>Index and View Active Topics was on the right in red. Not any more. "Quote's" hiding as well!

But otherwise thanks to all for the hard work and getting it running so soon. Could not care less about the 'phone people', have enough trouble with a 15.6" lappy!

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

New SOS Forum: Active Topics now in QUICK LINKS

Post by Forum Admin »

ef37a wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 11:56 amAre we on the same page tho'but? I used to go>Index and View Active Topics was on the right in red. Not any more.

The new software has tidied those links up and collected them into the Quick Links dropdown at the top-right of the topic - see screenshot below.
Screenshot 2021-07-01 at 11.57.49 am.jpg
BTW members will not see the gears icon and ACP link shown in my screenshot, as that is for the Admin Control Panel.

"Quote's" hiding as well!

This is now the double quote icon at the far-right of the post title (2nd one to the left; the far-right is now social sharing icon).
Screenshot 2021-07-01 at 11.58.24 am.jpg
Screenshot 2021-07-01 at 11.58.24 am.jpg (10.13 KiB) Viewed 1731 times
Forum Admin
SOS Podcasts

Post by ef37a »

Yup, found all that, eeeeventually!

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Post by Forum Admin »

ef37a wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 1:03 pm Yup, found all that, eeeeventually!

Dave.

This Forum software update is a lot easier to grasp than any DAW software update. ;-) Glad you are getting the hang of things.
Forum Admin
SOS Podcasts

Post by ManFromGlass »

On Brave/ipad combo here plus the usual slow to slower internet connection. The new Forum is quite an improvement! Good work all! :thumbup::thumbup:
It does seem to not like slow internet connections - all the boxes down the right side (usually a video or two plus an ad I think) are blank now. They used to load in fine on the previous version. No great loss as due to my fluctuating speeds I can’t watch SOS videos on the site 90% of the time.

Can I guess and say that the coders you use are young and have perfect eyesight? They can probably even read the new tiny fonts with no problem. That’s my only grumble.
ManFromGlass
Longtime Poster
Posts: 6682 Joined: Sun Jul 24, 2011 12:00 am Location: O Canada

Post by bobcharest »

Forum Admin wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 8:46 am
bobcharest wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 1:27 am My problem is that I can't login through Tapatalk. The message says that my ID doesn't exist. no problem through my desktop browser.

It's mentioned elsewhere in the Feedback topic "New forum format" but Tapatalk plug-in is not (yet) working with this new forum software. We're waiting for response from their tech team regarding their API connection.

Hi - just a little update, although I suspect that you're still waiting on a response from Tapatalk...

Now, I can log in, but I'm immediately informed that i can't look at recently unread threads as I'm not logged in. Image
bobcharest
New here

Post by Eddy Deegan »

Hi Bob,

The linked images in your post don't display. Although the URLs seem valid in your post, when clicked they have somewhat strange URLs such as

Code: Select all

https://www.bobcharestmusic.com/.*.(jpe?g%7cgif%7cbmp%7cpng%7cjpg)$
This looks to be a side-effect of your hosting provider. I'd suggest putting them on imgur.com or similar, as it's an image hosting site that seems to work well.
Eddy Deegan
Posts: 8845 Joined: Wed Sep 01, 2004 12:00 am Location: Brighton & Hove, UK
Some of my works | The SOS Forum Album projects  

Post by bobcharest »

Hi Eddy,

Thanks for your help on this. Here's take two with the images hosted on imgur:

Hi - just a little update, although I suspect that you're still waiting on a response from Tapatalk...

Now, I can log in, but I'm immediately informed that i can't look at recently unread threads as I'm not logged in. Image
bobcharest
New here

Post by Dave Rowles »

I've tried clearing data and still have an intermittent issue with Chrome on Mac. It was working one day, but now is not.

If I try to respond to a post on Chrome I just infinite reloads saying:

If you are not automatically redirected, please click this link: https://www.soundonsound.com/user/login ... embed=true.

Working on safari though.
Dave Rowles
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1456 Joined: Thu Feb 28, 2008 12:00 am Location: Isle of Man
http://www.manninmusic.com Teacher - Isle of Man
http://www.manninmusic.shop Music Shop - Isle of Man
https://www.facebook.com/mannin.sound - PA Hire/Sound Engineer - Isle of Man

Post by Forum Admin »

I've not had any problems on Mac with Chrome since the changeover. What version are you using Dave and on what version of MacOS?
Forum Admin
SOS Podcasts

Post by Dave Rowles »

Chrome: 91.0.4472.114
MacOS: 10.14.6

Still doesn't work.
Dave Rowles
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1456 Joined: Thu Feb 28, 2008 12:00 am Location: Isle of Man
http://www.manninmusic.com Teacher - Isle of Man
http://www.manninmusic.shop Music Shop - Isle of Man
https://www.facebook.com/mannin.sound - PA Hire/Sound Engineer - Isle of Man

Post by Forum Admin »

Dave Rowles wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 8:53 pm Chrome: 91.0.4472.114
MacOS: 10.14.6

Still doesn't work.

Thanks for the info. That's the same Chrome version I am running but I am on macOS 11.4.

Any members running the same combo as Dave?
Forum Admin
SOS Podcasts