Sorry - complete numpty question about synthesizers

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Sorry - complete numpty question about synthesizers

Post by N i g e l »

blinddrew wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 11:02 pm If I could play air-double-bass like that I could get a smaller car! :)

or alternatively, you could sell your monstatruck_car, buy a motor bike with side car, and with the saved cash get a Ned Steinberger [or similar product] electric double bass + amp.

sounds eco, trading petrol for electricity ?
N i g e l
Frequent Poster
Posts: 3716 Joined: Sun Aug 12, 2018 2:40 pm Location: British Isles

Post by Drew Stephenson »

I think you might be over-estimating how much i spend on cars...
Drew Stephenson
Forum Aficionado
Posts: 24639 Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:00 am Location: York
(The forumuser formerly known as Blinddrew)
Ignore the post count, I still have no idea what I'm doing...
https://drewstephenson.bandcamp.com/

Post by adrian_k »

An update.

I managed to get a used Roland JD-Xi at a decent price to try it out. Coming from knowing nothing about synthesis, and not actually having been a massive fan of synthesised sound, I have to say this has been a bit of a revelation.

It’s easy to get going, knobs on the front do most of what you need and lots of editing available through the menus if you really need to. Three independent synthesiser tracks plus drums, lots of sounds (too many?), effects, vocoder, arpeggiator, etc. I can even plug my guitar in and use the filter and effects.

You guys would find it a toy and the mini keys aren’t great but for a guitarist who needs to expand his approach this hits the spot. The limitations (eg max 4 bars in a loop, no separate ADSR control just a ‘shape’ knob) actually encourage creativity, I think that with the addition of a simple loop pedal I can make this work for this project. I’m having fun trying anyway!
adrian_k
Frequent Poster
Posts: 2662 Joined: Thu Jan 30, 2003 12:00 am Location: Gloucestershire
Above all, be kind.

Post by Eddy Deegan »

Sounds perfect to me - especially as you're getting along with it :-)

For learning about synthesis analogue synths are generally more logically laid out (the physical controls closely align with the signal path) but digital synths often present similar controls to analogue synths when it comes to filters and envelopes especially.

They usually differ in oscillator selection (analogues generally have a knob with different waveforms around it whereas digitals tend to require selecting a preset and then initialising it and/or locating an oscillator page in the menu) but the core principles are similar enough that you can learn a huge amount from a digital synth.

That said, a lot of digital synths have better modulation capabilities than analogues, with some notable exceptions (the PolyBrute and MatrixBrute spring to mind but I'm sure there are others). Certainly most of my digital synths have a good-to-excellent modulation matrix capacity.

Glad to hear you found something that's working for you and do fire away if you have any questions about synthesis in general as you progress :thumbup:
Eddy Deegan
Posts: 8845 Joined: Wed Sep 01, 2004 12:00 am Location: Brighton & Hove, UK
Some of my works | The SOS Forum Album projects  

Post by adrian_k »

Thanks Eddy, that’s helpful. In fact this thing has two digital synths and one analogue so I am kind of getting a feel for the some of different possibilities. At numpty level anyway.

Eddy Deegan wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 7:17 pm Glad to hear you found something that's working for you and do fire away if you have any questions about synthesis in general as you progress :thumbup:

Definitely will! 8-)
adrian_k
Frequent Poster
Above all, be kind.

Post by The Elf »

Glad you have something that's working for you. I still take a sharp breath when someone says that they're not a keyboard player so mini-keys are good for them. I actually think that mini-keys make things more difficult for non-players, but to each their own.

Take your time getting to know it, and yes, we're always here if you find yourself head-scratching.
The Elf
Forum Aficionado
Posts: 20049 Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2001 12:00 am Location: Sheffield, UK
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Post by adrian_k »

Sorry Elf I wasn’t clear.

I was trying to say I’m getting a lot out of it despite the mini keys. It’s more that ‘synthesis for dummies’ architecture works for me at this point.

The keys - well they are horrible. I’ve been learning basic keyboard skills on a Roland V-combo VR so could use that as a master keyboard. But that’s not what this project is about.

I’ll be back with lots of questions :)
adrian_k
Frequent Poster
Above all, be kind.

Post by BillB »

As usual, the SOS Review tells you all the stuff that the manual doesn’t.
https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/roland-jdxi
Well worth a read.
BillB
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1915 Joined: Mon Apr 07, 2003 12:00 am Location: East Yorkshire

Post by adrian_k »

Thank you - I should probably have read this before bidding :headbang:

Actually it wouldn’t have changed anything, it’s a good review. And the hack to create 8 bar patterns is going to be useful.
adrian_k
Frequent Poster
Above all, be kind.

Post by Martin Walker »

OneWorld wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 8:24 pm
Kwackman wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 7:36 pm KT Tunstall.
https://youtu.be/FGT0A2Hz-uk

Yep, that’s her and very impressive too.

Wow, it certainly is, and she manages so much variety using that looper - a real skill in itself!

Martin
Martin Walker
Posts: 20639 Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:44 am Location: Cornwall, UK