Portable/commuter guitar practice

For all things relating to guitars, basses, amps, pedals & accessories.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Portable/commuter guitar practice

Post by tea for two »

BJG145 wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 12:41 pm the Artiphon Instrument 1. (Terrible name.)

It's compact enough to play on the train and can be completely silent. It probably won't help my guitar playing, but it's a worthy instrument in its own right; well designed, rugged and expressive.

Re Jamstik
BJG145 wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 8:49 pm
Yes, it's going back on eBay. It's not suitable for my purposes and I find it practically unplayable. As far as I can see it's useless either as a practice aid or musical instrument.

Next...

As there seems to be nothing on the market to meet the requirements of travelling silent geetarr practicing,
is there a window for yourself to get together with SoS and the contacts SoS has,
to design such an instrument as an Indiegogo.
(I imagine it would be quite the hit).

The tech could probably be brought over for Violin, Viola, would be appreciated by Classical musicians.

(I have an Electric Violin but it's not quiet).
tea for two
Frequent Poster

Post by BJG145 »

Self-portrait on the bus to work this morning...

It works. This is now my new favourite commuter gadget for a while. :thumbup:

There's one design flaw, which is that the sockets for USB and headphones are in exactly the wrong place. You can't hold it comfortably on your lap, and it obstructs the hand position...

But I'll get some leads with angle jacks to help with that.

You can plug the Artiphon into a computer as a MIDI controller, or a mobile app. This has various instruments you can click through; guitar, violin, keys, drums. These presets combine the instrument's settings in an intelligent way. Eg the violin will have the right sound and string tuning with a "fretless" approach, where pitch varies within a fret. The drums, likewise, are configured in a sensible and playable way with a different sound on each fret, and suitable interaction between these, so that a closed hat will stop an open hat, but not a ride.

As well as the 'factory' instrument presets, there are some user-definable ones where you can combine the options however you want. This would enable you to make a fretless guitar, for instance. You can also adjust the sensitivity for things like hammer-ons and aftertouch.

The raised rubber "strings" can be set to respond to touch, or played by a set of thick rubber tabs which can be plucked, strummed or pressed. It might be possible to use a pick with these, but it would have to be a pretty chunky one, and I find it easier using fingers.

The Artiphon can respond to pressure on the strings, pressure on the strummable tabs, and also tilt, so performances can be quite expressive.

The spacing is fairly wide - the strings are about 9mm apart and placed equally at about 29mm the whole length of the fretboard. This makes barre chords and three-notes-per-string scales a bit of a challenge for me, though it might feel more natural if you're used to classical guitar. Overall though, it's a reasonable compromise for the different playing styles available.

Another nice feature, and one I've not seen on any other MIDI controller without its own sound engine, is the built-in speakers. These help to add a comfortable, balanced weight to the instrument. They can be turned up quite loud (Artiphon aimed to make it comparable to an acoustic guitar). It's cool having the sounds play directly from the instrument, and it's also handy having the volume control under your fingers even if you're using headphones.

This morning I found myself strumming open chords quite easily, then I turned it to a touch-sensitive mode to practice scales and arpeggios. I think maybe I'm going to find this helps aspects of my guitar playing after all.

https://artiphon.com/pages/instrument1
BJG145
Longtime Poster

Post by Folderol »

Sounds (literally) like you got a winner there :thumbup:
Folderol
Jedi Poster
Posts: 18172 Joined: Sat Nov 15, 2008 12:00 am Location: The Mudway Towns, UK
Yes. I am that Linux nut {apparently now an 'elderly'}
Onwards and... err... sideways!

Post by Stratman57 »

I'm left handed, so I was wondering can you set it up to be played left handed?

Regards, Simon.
Stratman57
Regular
Stratman57

Post by BJG145 »

Stratman57 wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 12:22 pmI was wondering can you set it up to be played left handed?

Yep -

The INSTRUMENT 1 can be played by both left and right-handed players. The Fretted and Fretless string modes can be set to either a left or right-handed orientation. The INSTRUMENT 1 can globally be set to always right or left. Alternately, it can be set to Automatic flip, where the INSTRUMENT 1 will flip the strings based on how you are holding it.

BJG145
Longtime Poster

Post by Stratman57 »

That's great. Thanks for the info.

Regards, Simon.
Stratman57
Regular
Stratman57

Post by merlyn »

It strikes me that your right hand isn't going to get much of a workout with instrument 1. It will be useful for practicing left hand fingerings though.

You mentioned sweep picking in an earlier post. I don't know if you were joking, though, as sweep picking seems pretty far from the blues. :)

Paradoxically sweep picking does rely on a lot of left hand technique, particularly, eh ... I don't know what you would call it exactly -- I've seen it called a 'lay over'. Frank Gambale (the sweepmeister) calls it 'the rubber stamp'. It's playing notes on the same fret with the same finger by rolling the finger. So if you wanted to play E on the B string, then A on the high E, you could play them both with your first finger by rolling the first finger, so the E doesn't ring into the A.

I tend to think Frank Gambale has made his left hand fingerings harder to make the right hand easier, as it's the right hand that is usually the limit on fast playing.
merlyn
Frequent Poster
It ain't what you don't know. It's what you know that ain't so.

Post by Guest »

The yellow faced guy looking in the window of the bus seems to be enjoying it.