About to take the plunge... Livestreaming!

For performing musicians and engineers: stagecraft, engineering and gear.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: About to take the plunge... Livestreaming!

Post by Mike Stranks »

RGBlink Mini has just been ordered... :)

For what I need, multiview preview is essential... entry-level ATEM doesn't have that.

As it will often not be me pressing the buttons, simplicity of operation and lack of oo-er controls is highly desirable. RGBlink has that.

The built in multiview screen is a big plus for on the road... tiny I know, but does save taking a monitor for times when a mini-rig is of the essence.

Once it arrives I shall do some audio experimenting and report back...

Watch this space... :D
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Post by Mattsong »

The RGB link looks like a nice compact piece of kit. Multiview is essential even if it is really tiny.
I thought I would share a couple of live-streams we did in the fall.
This is from an artist Lucette. There is an opening act Amy Nelson and Lucette is about an hour in. For the astute audio fan, the big blue van in the background is the Rolling Stones Mobile.
https://amplify.nmc.ca/video/watch-rbc- ... y-lucette/
The other video is a great classical group, Land’s End playing in a blues bar for a Sunday brunch. Fun to shoot a classical ensemble.
https://amplify.nmc.ca/video/watch-stin ... -ensemble/
This was all done at the National Music Centre in Calgary.
Enjoy.
Mattsong
Poster

Post by James Perrett »

Mattsong wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 10:16 pm For the astute audio fan, the big blue van in the background is the Rolling Stones Mobile.

Watched a few excerpts from the video and, to the untrained eye, it looks pretty good. Interestingly I've just spent this afternoon transferring some 2" tapes that were recorded by Mick McKenna with the Rolling Stones Mobile.
James Perrett
Posts: 14250 Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2001 12:00 am Location: The wilds of Hampshire
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Post by Mattsong »

Lots of great music recorded on the RSM. It is now part of the living museum at the National Music Centre in Calgary.
Mattsong
Poster

Post by Mike Stranks »

Quick update....

The RGBlink Mini arrived yesterday and I gave it a workout this afternoon with two cameras and an iPad.

The built-in preview screen is good to make sure you've got a good link, but I think it would simply be too small for field work... we shall see. Today I hooked-up to a 24" TV with the HDMI output on the Mini set to 'Preview'. That was good...

So first impressions are of a versatile little unit which will do what I want... now to order some more HDMI cables... :)

Oh! I should add that I did my first one-camera plus mic livestream the other day. Surprisingly easy and uncomplicated through my YouTube channel. It was just a 'private' stream for proof of concept...
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Post by Humf »

Sounds good Mike. I think we’ve chatted on this topic on t’other thread?

My one bit of advice when it comes to live-streaming, is to test, test again and when you’ve got it right, have a sleep and then test again. You get the point!

When you’ve got a setup that’s been through the above, don’t change a single thing. I’ve been caught out once or twice trying to make, what I thought were little changes, to be tripped up.

I use a variety of either audio fed back into the camera OR a frame or two or delay on my ATEM switcher. Seems to work. Mixing and matching between wireless & wired audio sources is a bit of a headache but easily solvable if not mixed together, which is often the case in my situ (eg. Wireless lavs ‘v’ a stereo pair on an organ or choir). I’ve recently purchased a zoom f6 because I’m tired of either lumping around an x32 rack or being limited to a stereo pair of xlr inputs on my camera (if a single cam is sufficient but 3 or more mics needed). An F8n or Sound Devices unit probably would’ve been my first choice but budget limited and Hugh’s review reassured me. Plus as a solo shooter (streamer?!) the concept of worrying less about incorrect gain settings means I can be confident of fixing in post. Although I realise the ‘live’ mix needs to be decent. Shame about the unbalanced 3.5mm output but otherwise it wins on features at the price. I’ve just bought a small cheeseplate which lifts the unit sufficiently to clear the chunky manfrotto head I have. So my single cam setup has just had a major upgrade. I now need to test, test, test!
Humf
Regular

Post by Humf »

One other thing I’ve heard about but not yet explored...

Using an audio embedder. That way the audio is sent out from the X32 via AES, into an embedder via SPDIF, and into the ATEM as HDMI, without any need for D/A & A/D conversion. Not sure if this is worth the effort but sounds interesting.
Humf
Regular

Post by Mattsong »

Glad to hear that the RGBlink Mini seems to be working for you. When you connected to the external monitor and set it to Preview, do you get the multiview display on the external monitor?
Most of my experience has been with the Blackmagic ATEM switchers, which have worked well, but they are pricier.
Mattsong
Poster

Post by RichardT »

Humf wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 10:55 pm Sounds good Mike. I think we’ve chatted on this topic on t’other thread?

My one bit of advice when it comes to live-streaming, is to test, test again and when you’ve got it right, have a sleep and then test again. You get the point!

When you’ve got a setup that’s been through the above, don’t change a single thing. I’ve been caught out once or twice trying to make, what I thought were little changes, to be tripped up.

I use a variety of either audio fed back into the camera OR a frame or two or delay on my ATEM switcher. Seems to work. Mixing and matching between wireless & wired audio sources is a bit of a headache but easily solvable if not mixed together, which is often the case in my situ (eg. Wireless lavs ‘v’ a stereo pair on an organ or choir). I’ve recently purchased a zoom f6 because I’m tired of either lumping around an x32 rack or being limited to a stereo pair of xlr inputs on my camera (if a single cam is sufficient but 3 or more mics needed). An F8n or Sound Devices unit probably would’ve been my first choice but budget limited and Hugh’s review reassured me. Plus as a solo shooter (streamer?!) the concept of worrying less about incorrect gain settings means I can be confident of fixing in post. Although I realise the ‘live’ mix needs to be decent. Shame about the unbalanced 3.5mm output but otherwise it wins on features at the price. I’ve just bought a small cheeseplate which lifts the unit sufficiently to clear the chunky manfrotto head I have. So my single cam setup has just had a major upgrade. I now need to test, test, test!

As NASA say: test as you fly, fly as you test.
RichardT
Jedi Poster
Posts: 4074 Joined: Fri Aug 13, 2004 12:00 am Location: Ireland

Post by Mike Stranks »

Mattsong wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 4:44 am Glad to hear that the RGBlink Mini seems to be working for you. When you connected to the external monitor and set it to Preview, do you get the multiview display on the external monitor?
Most of my experience has been with the Blackmagic ATEM switchers, which have worked well, but they are pricier.

I'm still exploring and experimenting... :)

I should also have said that another reason for choosing the RGBlink was that it can be set up and operated without any recourse to a computer at all - ie all through internal menus.

Regarding outputs... both the HDMI out and the USB 3 out can be set to show 'Preview' or 'Post'. So I'm intending to use a smallish external monitor connected to the HDMI out for previewing and the USB output set to 'Post' for streaming.

The preview output divides the screen vertically into two. Top half is a 'Preview' and 'Post' (On Air) display; bottom half shows the preview of the 4 inputs. 'Post' also has switchable indication of combined audio levels.

Audio can be the usual config of external (via the audio input on the Mini) follow the video source or lock to one video input... I haven't explored that in any detail yet.

The unit is fanless, but has a chunky heatsink on the base. Gets quite warm during operation...
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Post by Drew Stephenson »

Hi Mike,
does the Mini allow you to set an audio delay or would you need to set that elsewhere before routing it in?
Thanks
Drew
Drew Stephenson
Jedi Poster
Posts: 24445 Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:00 am Location: York
(The forumuser formerly known as Blinddrew)
Ignore the post count, I still have no idea what I'm doing...
https://drewstephenson.bandcamp.com/

Post by Mike Stranks »

blinddrew wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 5:23 pm Hi Mike,
does the Mini allow you to set an audio delay or would you need to set that elsewhere before routing it in?
Thanks
Drew

Hi Drew

I've just checked and the unit itself doesn't allow that facility... I don't know about the software as I've not yet downloaded it.

I was at first going to use some form of external delay and then route the audio into the Mini... I could still do this if I use my Zoom F4 as an intermediate device.

However, my discussions with those who do far more sophisticated livestreams and have far better kit than I do has led me to the conclusion to route the audio into a camera and then lock the audio to that HDMI input via the Mini. Advice is that that will be the simplest and most effective route.
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster