Delete posts gone - pretty please can we have it back?

For feedback and suggestions about the SOS magazine, app, web site or forums.

Moderator: Moderators

Delete posts gone - pretty please can we have it back?

Post by ConcertinaChap »

What the subject says, all forums now say at the bottom that you cannot delete your own posts and indeed there is no way to do so. Previously when we had that ability (limited in very sensible ways though it was) I for one didn't use it very often but found it very useful on the occasions when I did need it, and I believe the universe didn't collapse as a result.

Please can we have it back? I promise I'll be good, Sir.

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Posts: 12957 Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2005 12:00 am Location: Bradford on Avon
Mr Punch's Studio
Life's a long song
but the tune ends too soon for us all

Re: Delete posts gone - pretty please can we have it back?

Post by Kwackman »

Test- ignore
Test 2 you're right!
You could delete or change the text suppose.
Kwackman
Frequent Poster
Posts: 3221 Joined: Thu Nov 07, 2002 12:00 am Location: Belfast
Cubase, guitars.

Post by Mike Stranks »

I can understand why the facility has been removed... it can screw the thread sense in some circumstances.

I used to use it if wiser councils prevailed after I'd posted a ratty-response :) but if someone had already responded and quoted me then it was definitely 'shutting the stable door...'.

These days in a 'wiser councils' situation then I'll just delete the text, but if you've already been quoted...

Serves me right! :lol: Type in haste; repent at leisure... :)
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Post by Hugh Robjohns »

If anyone needs to delete a post, just use the 'Report Post' button (!) to contact the moderators and explain what you want removed and why. If it's practical to remove a post we'll always be happy to... but as Mike says, if it's been quoted by someone else in the meantime it won't be possible.
Hugh Robjohns
Posts: 39023 Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2003 12:00 am Location: Worcestershire, UK
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound...
(But generally posting my own personal views and not necessarily those of SOS, the company or the magazine!)
In my world, things get less strange when I read the manual... 

Post by ConcertinaChap »

So, if I can ask, when we had the delete facility did it cause problems?

TIA

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Mr Punch's Studio
Life's a long song

Post by Forum Admin »

ConcertinaChap wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 4:58 pm So, if I can ask, when we had the delete facility did it cause problems?

Hi CC

The old delete worked fine, but things have changed in the settings. We implemented it on this new version but yes it's been causing problems behind the scenes, as it is now part of a different set of user permissions, and we either have it permanently on or remove it. Giving free reign to some users to delete their own posts week's/months down the line is not a good way to run a Forum IMHO and will result in broken topics.

Everyone can still edit their Posts and thus delete/remove any text they didn't want to say, within the 45 minutes after posting limit. As Hugh says, if you still want a post deleting, use the Report icon and ask a Mod, and we'll do whatever we can to assist... but things can get messy if it's already part of a fast-moving topic and it may be hours before any Mod can get onto this task (especially if in the wee small hours).
Forum Admin
Posts: 4291 Joined: Mon Jul 21, 2003 11:00 pm Location: A studio deep in the fenlands of Cambridgeshire, UK
Search 16,966 SOS Reviews+Techniques articles: www.soundonsound.com/search
SOS Podcasts

Post by ConcertinaChap »

Thanks for the explanation. I see your problem. Though not your fault in any way and probably a minority view, I have to say I've not been too impressed with this upgrade. I guess it's necessary for the sake of security so I'll live with it, of course. There's a lot worse stuff out there.

I still can't get the links in my sig block to work either! :cry:

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Mr Punch's Studio
Life's a long song

Post by Forum Admin »

ConcertinaChap wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 3:09 pm Though not your fault in any way and probably a minority view, I have to say I've not been too impressed with this upgrade.

There are a lot of little improvements and, most importantly, the forum now is not close to falling over the edge on a daily basis.

We've got about 4 years to go until the next update, which is plenty time to tweak things and for members to grow used to the changes.
Forum Admin
Posts: 4291 Joined: Mon Jul 21, 2003 11:00 pm Location: A studio deep in the fenlands of Cambridgeshire, UK
SOS Podcasts

Post by ConcertinaChap »

Forum Admin wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 3:25 pmmost importantly, the forum now is not close to falling over the edge on a daily basis.

:thumbup:

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Mr Punch's Studio
Life's a long song

Post by BJG145 »

You say you'll change the constitution
Well, you know
We'd all love to change your head
You tell me it's the institution
Well, you know
You better free your mind instead

What you need is the latest security patch from Microsoft, #NeuralNightmare.3.6
BJG145
Longtime Poster

Post by ManFromGlass »

Cripes you have to move fast around here with responses. I was up-thumbing the quote about not falling over the edge but the Beatles quote is good too so to both I say
:thumbup:
ManFromGlass
Longtime Poster
Posts: 6682 Joined: Sun Jul 24, 2011 12:00 am Location: O Canada

Post by James Perrett »

ConcertinaChap wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 3:09 pm I still can't get the links in my sig block to work either! :cry:

They work if you right click on them. I'm not sure what you are doing different to Ian or I as ours seem to open directly.
James Perrett
Posts: 14377 Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2001 12:00 am Location: The wilds of Hampshire
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Post by BJG145 »

James Perrett wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 10:55 pm I'm not sure what you are doing different to Ian or I as ours seem to open directly.

If you right-click on the sig links and choose "inspect" (Chrome), James' include "target = _blank" but CC's don't.

Not sure why, perhaps one was added via HTML and the other was added via BBCode...? But it should be possible to get that tag in.
BJG145
Longtime Poster

Post by ConcertinaChap »

BJG145 wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 6:37 am If you right-click on the sig links and choose "inspect" (Chrome), James' include "target = _blank" but CC's don't.

Good spot. I'll look into that. "target = _blank" should take the link off to a new tab (the equivalent of right click) and would, of course, be what I want.

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Mr Punch's Studio
Life's a long song

Post by Forum Admin »

ConcertinaChap wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 12:40 pm
Good spot. I'll look into that. "target = _blank" should take the link off to a new tab (the equivalent of right click) and would, of course, be what I want.

You won't be able to manually edit your signature and add that target as it needs HTML, which is not allowed in posts/signatures.

I think the problem lies with use of non-secure (ie. http://) links in the URLs and ensuring you do *not* have the "Do not automatically parse URLs" checkbox checked - leave it blank on your sig when submitting/saving. (And do not switch off UBB code, of course.)

Here's a screenshot of my own signature:
Forum Admin signature UBB Code.jpg
The Forum software is set to open links in new tabs/windows by default, so target="_blank" should not be necessary.
Forum Admin
SOS Podcasts

Post by ConcertinaChap »

Haven't read your post fully yet, this is some fiddling around I'm doing (I know you can't stick target="_blank" in directly, you end up with something that looks like concertina.info/wordpress5_ea/%20%22target%20=%20_blank%22)

OK, this is beginning to blow my mind. This may be difficult to describe because there's no code tag to let me show BBCode or whatever without it being translated. Whatever.

Let's take the URL of my studio website: http://mrpunch.info. This redirects to https://concertina.info/wordpress3/

Now when I put the first into the sig block it does nothing. When I put the second in the sig block it starts the web page but not in a separate tab, it starts it in the current tab within the SoS site and the effect is weird. Hmmm, let's see what happens not in the sig block.

Be right back ...

And here we are Within the main post both links work fine.

Within the sig block the first still fails, the second is the weird one. I'm leaving this for the moment so you can see what I mean. I take the point about https, although the first link works fine in the main post. Why should the sig block be so different?

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Mr Punch's Studio
Life's a long song

Post by Forum Admin »

CC

If you copy and paste the [url] code and text I just added in your post and do not add the trailing / charcater, it works and opens in a new tab/window (for me).

Do not use the mrpunch.info in your sig - use the true https address and no trailing slash /
Forum Admin
SOS Podcasts

Post by ConcertinaChap »

I'll give that a whirl in a mo. The "Do not automatically parse URLs" thingy just turns the URL into plain text so I haven't been setting that.

Be right back ...

Well I deleted the URL you put in and recreated it myself. It still doesn't work. Dear Marge, what am I doing wrong?

ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Mr Punch's Studio
Life's a long song

Post by Forum Admin »

I've added a 3rd line with the correct link and the link does not work! I'll have to go ask the web guru why this is not working correctly. Apologies.
Forum Admin
SOS Podcasts

Post by Forum Admin »

CC, if you can leave your sig as it is now, until our web chap looks at it, would be appreciated. I've filed a bug report.
Forum Admin
SOS Podcasts