Nord, any (trusted) insight on feature to cost ratio?

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Nord, any (trusted) insight on feature to cost ratio?

Post by jellyjim »

Nopety nope nope nope

I've just been into a local shop where they have a Piano 5 on display and it's absolutely silent even with my ear pressed against the chassis.

One dud coming straight back atcha Mr Retailer! No ifs, no buts. :evil:
jellyjim
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1680 Joined: Wed May 15, 2002 12:00 am Location: uk
Original artwork and unique devices inspired by vintage technology http://www.thisisobsolete.com

Post by Hugh Robjohns »

I'd say it's not normal and it's not acceptable, so you're right to send it back as unfit for purpose. Frustrating though that obviously is.

A little mechanical hum that you can hear with your ear right next to the case might be tolerable, but not something that audible even when sat back and wearing headphones.

It is possible that if the unit experienced severe mechanical shock during transit the transformer has moved on its fixings, become looser and is vibrating more audibly as a result.

Martin is also right that some transformers are particularly prone to mains waveform distortion, but in that case you'd typically find the level and character of tone varied at different times of day.

Return and replace...
Hugh Robjohns
Posts: 39014 Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2003 12:00 am Location: Worcestershire, UK
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound...
(But generally posting my own personal views and not necessarily those of SOS, the company or the magazine!)
In my world, things get less strange when I read the manual... 

Post by jellyjim »

Hugh Robjohns wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 2:52 pm I'd say it's not normal and it's not acceptable,

Return and replace...

Fantastic, thanks Hugh! I was hoping you would reply for you are, in case you hadn't realised, the gold standard and single source of truth on such judgements. If Hugh says t's a duffer, it's a duffer! :bouncy:

If the retailer whine I will simply say "But Hugh said ..." and they will cower meekly in the corner as well they should :D

I'm sure they'll be fine. They've been very amenable so far.
jellyjim
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1680 Joined: Wed May 15, 2002 12:00 am Location: uk
Original artwork and unique devices inspired by vintage technology http://www.thisisobsolete.com

Post by Arpangel »

jellyjim wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 2:59 pm
Hugh Robjohns wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 2:52 pm I'd say it's not normal and it's not acceptable,

Return and replace...

Fantastic, thanks Hugh! I was hoping you would reply for you are, in case you hadn't realised, the gold standard and single source of truth on such judgements. If Hugh says t's a duffer, it's a duffer! :bouncy:

If the retailer whine I will simply say "But Hugh said ..." and they will cower meekly in the corner as well they should :D

I'm sure they'll be fine. They've been very amenable so far.

As Hugh said, it’s not normal, or acceptable, there is no argument, just ask for a replacement, you have every right to one, and the retailer should happily oblige, why shouldn’t they?
Just chill and look forward to a new one.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Post by N i g e l »

jellyjim wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 8:22 am
Arpangel wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 8:01 am Call Nord and ask if it’s normal, if not, send it back.
Sooner rather than later.

Further research suggests transformer and OLED noise are both common issues with Nords,

yep, theres a lot on norduser & gearspace about Nord transformer buzz and I have experienced it myself.

I agree that its totaly unacceptable on a new unit as a fix requires opening up the unit and dealing with the mains.

It is an issue that has come up in SOS before

https://www.soundonsound.com/forum/view ... 23&t=20900
N i g e l
Frequent Poster
Posts: 3708 Joined: Sun Aug 12, 2018 2:40 pm Location: British Isles